TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

EZ Pass Transponder Advice

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by daraius, Jul 9, 2014.

1. daraius

daraius Member

A question for any Virginia area Tesla Model S owners. Where is the best place on the windshield to place my EZ Pass Flex transponder?

Thanks

2. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

There have been a number of threads and discussion on this topic. Some locations work for some owners but not others. Based upon what I read in other threads, I installed mine immediately to the right of the rear view mirror and as high as possible --- so the transponder is in the area with the black dots. I have had no problems with this installation.

3. daraius

daraius Member

Thanks. My local Tesla just confirmed that the transponder should be right over the black dots. I shall reattach tonight !

Thanks again

4. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

That worked for me too.

5. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

I got one of the license-plate mount style transponders and mounted it under the nosecone similarly to this pic below, except I used adhesive backing rather than zip ties:
    sunpass.jpg

6. wamochi

wamochi Member

+1. we have a community gate transponder that wouldn't work anywhere until I tried right next to the black mass behind the mirror, and placed in the dotted area.

7. Caloncho

Caloncho LongerTelomeres?

I ordered ( and installed) a license-plate-mount EZ Pass transponder. Did not want the risk of a windshield-mount transponder not transponding in a rainy day or when I am in a rush.

8. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Mine is an exterior style transponder - behind the nose cone is the best place.

9. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I have the license plate transponder behind my nose cone and its performance is erratic -- I've gotten a few violations notices. It has also failed a few times at lift gate toll booths, which presents a real problem. So I've switched to the windshield transponder mounted to the right of the rearview mirror stem on the black dots, as Tesla has advised. Don't yet have enough experience with this mount to determine its effectiveness, but I'll report back when I do.

10. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

I have the nose cone transponder, it has only failed twice, both in NYC.
    I now have a spare EZ-pass wrapped in foil in my car for my next trip to NYC.

This is after 33k miles from NH/Maine down to Norfolk, VA.

11. JST

JST Active Member

I think the OP has one of the new switchable transponders that let you access HOT lanes if you are not carrying 3 people in the car. I think something like that has to be mounted internally.

VDOT :: E-ZPass Flex

12. ABVA

ABVA Member

Northern Virginia is implementing "Hot/HOV Lanes" where EZ Pass is a must. Cars with atleast 3 people access those lanes without paying any toll. However, for toll free access (with requisite occupancy) you have to have a switchable/flex EZ Pass transponder, which can only be mounted on the windshield. Please post some pictures of your transponder mount that really works without fail. Sincerely appreciate it.

13. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

Well, going to just finally risk it and mount it in the black dots and hope for the best... Won't know for certain until the 29th and beyond... *Gulp*

And yes external mounting is not an option with the flex pass.

14. drsaab

drsaab Member

I have the new autopilot windshield. No reliable place to mount. Even tried nosecone. I'm resorting to opening and holding it out the drivers window. Which is retarded :(

15. Cerie

Cerie Member

I have the new Autopilot windshield as well and a Rhode Island issued EZPass. I've taken two trips from CT to Bethesda and not a single problem with the transponder mounted just to the right of the rearview mirror, in the black dot area.

16. drsaab

drsaab Member

I think it's the flex pass. It may be bigger than a normal ezpass since it's switchable from hot/hov to normal. I'll take a pic. The normal ezpass is smaller.

17. drsaab

drsaab Member

Ezpass Flex

Attached Files:

18. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

I think this weekend (or some point soon) I will drive up to 495 and just pay the fee to take the beltway there, just to see if mine actually works. Since MD is generally nice about if your transponder fails they don't charge you an arm and a leg over it.

19. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Promised to report back. My EZ pass trasnsponder (the new small version) has worked perfectly placed in the recommended positon tight against the upper right hand side of the rear vew mirror mount.

20. Huskerfl

Huskerfl Member

Is this the one?

SunPass Slim Portable Transponder
    eGoSunPassPortableSlim-a1.png

• Can be moved from vehicle to vehicle