Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ Pass Transponder Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is also crazy is that counter to the way it seemed like it was being advertised, they raise the prices seemingly based on the main traffic on the non-pay portion instead of the volume of cars in the HOT lanes.

I noticed that too... but thought maybe it's just me.
How is that a viable answer FROM EZPass!!!! :cursing:

Oh, we get that our transponders suck and we couldn't come up with a better solution so I guess you can either pay to use the toll or ride local, nevermind carpooling... Cause, you know, that whole, environment thing? who cares!

To be fair, I'm surprised they even knew about Tesla. The first woman gave me a blank stare, and then another one came by and asked which car, then which year and gave me the above response.

Man, here in NoVA, I used a plate-mounted EZPass transponder and it worked perfectly on the Dulles Toll Road, then it did not work on the Greenway. Sucks when you drive through the EZPass Only lane with a liftgate and realize it doesn't work. Luckily no one was behind me. As I was reversing to get to the cash lane the liftgate opened, so I'm hoping I just tried to go through too fast the first time. How have others done on the Greenway?

My experience so far is my ezpass works on all the lanes that require you to slow down 15mph or less....but these are also hit or miss. But work 90% . the express lanes seem like they don't work. But I haven't really tested thoroughly. I place my ezpass in the area to the drivers side black dots of the autopilot camera.

I find with a plate mounted transponder under the nosecone (my car is too old for the auto-pilot sensors) it is best to go _very_ slowly
through the toll plazas which do not react well. I had my transponder checked last week and they said it was fine, so it may be too
low and going slowly helps.

I'm not the OP, but I did bump this particular thread for a reason - for some of us in this area, the plate mounted transponder is not an option.

VA has "HOT lanes" with EZ-pass flex. There's a switch on it, you can switch it to HOV or non-HOV mode. In HOV mode you get to ride, for free, in toll lanes if you have 3 people in the car. In non-HOV mode, you pay the toll and get to ride the toll lanes in either case. Thus an internally mounted location is a must (that or sticking it out the window while driving).

The new windshield blocks the signal, I tried 10 different positions but nothing.
I was getting a lot of CALL EZ PASS. messages.
Called the customer service they told me, "Don't worry, we can read the plate and charge you that way" Well, I've got a $37 bill for a $3 toll charge because they could not read the plate and billed me all the way to Boston.

I've found a fix but it's not going to work in the winter. I've to open the sunroof and stick my e-z pass tag out.
I don't know what I will do in the winter.

My plate-mount EZPass transponder under the nosecone works every time here in VA, be it Toll Rd. or Greenway. I t also works in Del. and N.J. on the way up to NYC...

Do you go through very slowly? I started a couple weeks ago with it under the nose cone and it did not work the first time so quickly changed it to external and got the results reported above. Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll keep trying.

The new windshield blocks the signal, I tried 10 different positions but nothing.
I was getting a lot of CALL EZ PASS. messages.
Called the customer service they told me, "Don't worry, we can read the plate and charge you that way" Well, I've got a $37 bill for a $3 toll charge because they could not read the plate and billed me all the way to Boston.
Do you have your plate registered on your account at Ezpass? If you do, at least for me, there's no extra fee for the times my tag doesn't get read.

Do you have your plate registered on your account at Ezpass? If you do, at least for me, there's no extra fee for the times my tag doesn't get read.

The issue is if it doesn't read on the fast lanes that tags when you enter and leave...they charge you the full rate. This happened to me on the nj turnpike when I was testing the ezpass out on the fast lanes. I got charged from the first entrance and last exit. Now I just go through the slow lanes. I tried the holding out the ezpass while driving 35mph+ and almost dropped it lol

For people holding it out the window, through the pano roof, etc. my advice is to hold it right side up and by the edges, not just randomly in your fist. Mine missed a couple of reads when I held it out, but apparently my grasp blocked the signal.

I actually mounted my internal EZ Pass behind the nosecone and it works about 50% of the time.

I finally got around to trying to order my external EZ Pass. I tried to do it and the web site said I couldn't do it because I already had 4 EZ Pass tags. A while back they sent me 2 new ones, and paid for me to return 2 of my old ones (so I had 6 for a short while). But I called them and they said "I'm sorry sir, you have 4 tags so we can't send you another one. You will have to return one, and once we get it within 7-10 business days we will send you our another one." I asked "Well, what if I lost one of them?" She said "Well if you have lost one, we can send you out another one right away." I said "Ok, I lost one." So she said "Ok, we will send you out an external tag right away. Anything else?" I said "Yes, can I get a prepaid envelope to send back an EZ Pass that I might find some time in the future?" She agreed and is sending one of those as well.

So you can do it, but you have to lie to them. Why couldn't they just send me one and an envelope (so I wouldn't have to lie)?

I actually mounted my internal EZ Pass behind the nosecone and it works about 50% of the time.

I finally got around to trying to order my external EZ Pass. I tried to do it and the web site said I couldn't do it because I already had 4 EZ Pass tags. A while back they sent me 2 new ones, and paid for me to return 2 of my old ones (so I had 6 for a short while). But I called them and they said "I'm sorry sir, you have 4 tags so we can't send you another one. You will have to return one, and once we get it within 7-10 business days we will send you our another one." I asked "Well, what if I lost one of them?" She said "Well if you have lost one, we can send you out another one right away." I said "Ok, I lost one." So she said "Ok, we will send you out an external tag right away. Anything else?" I said "Yes, can I get a prepaid envelope to send back an EZ Pass that I might find some time in the future?" She agreed and is sending one of those as well.

So you can do it, but you have to lie to them. Why couldn't they just send me one and an envelope (so I wouldn't have to lie)?

We have walk-in centers sprinkled about and one in my town which is accessible from the back without even being on the highway.
Oh, did I mention the Saturday hours too?

A plate-mount style flex with a 12' lead for a remote switch would be ideal.

It doesn't even need to be that complicated. An EZ-pass app where I can set how many people I have in the car would solve everything, but I don't see them doing that.

On the 495 HOT lanes website it says I can call and tell them which times I'll be in HOV mode, with a plate mounted solution. But that's such a PITA.

On the 495 HOT lanes website it says I can call and tell them which times I'll be in HOV mode, with a plate mounted solution. But that's such a PITA.

Wow, I didn't even realize that was an option. I can't believe here we are in 2015... and we still can't figure this out... sigh* you are charging me an arm and a leg when I do pay the tolls you should be spending that money on something worthwhile...

Wow, I didn't even realize that was an option. I can't believe here we are in 2015... and we still can't figure this out... sigh* you are charging me an arm and a leg when I do pay the tolls you should be spending that money on something worthwhile...

And when you miss a toll on the flex lanes, they charge you an astronomical fee, since it's privately operated. Lots of stories of people being charged $6k fees, $17k fees for a $36 in toll violation, etc.

495 | 95 Express Lanes - FAQs go to "Express Lanes and E-ZPass" and then "Is there a Flex transponder for bumper mounted transponders?"
The E-ZPass Flex is not available for bumper-mounted transponders. If you plan to travel on the Express Lanes with three or more people and have an E-ZPass mounted to your license plate, you can nominate your E-ZPass by calling us at 1-855-495-9777.

I called that number above, and spoke with them. You must call in 30 minutes before your trip to nominate your car as HOV. I was on hold for ~5mins. And you can nominate your car as HOV up to a week before the trip (you need to give them a timeslot).

So far this is the best solution. Not ideal (ideally I'd like an automated system, or an app, or at least to do it on their website), but at least it works for those of us who use it occasionally.

I'll wait to hear back via email, but I'm likely getting a plate mounted transponder.