Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZPass not reading, getting hit with MAX TOLL per instance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at my ezpass history recently wondering why my account is replenishing more often than it should, I noticed that ever since I moved up to the finger lakes 3 months ago and my work schedule takes me every thursday from around Harrison NJ straight up through Newburgh I noticed that New York was slamming me with a MAX TOLL every time I get on the NY Thruway at Garden State Parkway (exit 14) and getting off at Newburgh (exit 17).

The charge should be $1.33 but they are charging me $16.10. this happened 9 different times so they have ripped me off ~$132 over the last 3 months. (basically once a week). all of this is because the ezpass doesn't read through the Tesla Model S's defective windshield.

In NJ (aka NJTurnpike) they are able to just read license plates and figure out where you entered and exit and my account gets charged appropriately (I've confirmed this reading the statements and looking at charges), but in NY they just hit you with a MAX TOLL of $16.10 per instance. WTF. currently disputing this.

so basically a PSA to anyone using these ezpass (& equiv) tags on Tesla's KNOWN defective windshield to check your account statements for errors like this. (fyi Tesla refused to replace my defective windshield even though obviously it was delivered to me defective on day 1.)

here's a snippet showing 3 of the MAX TOLLs they are slamming me with every week:

ezpass_snippet.png

Tesla's KNOWN defective windshield

The windshield is not defective, there is no requirement for ezpass tags to be read through the windshield. It is well known with multiple threads about this. This is why ezpass offers a front plate mounted tag. They've offered it for years because there are a whole list of cars that the tags can't be read through the window on.

I find this problem fascinating. (Yeah, it doesn't sound fascinating.) Not the first time I've heard of this related to Tesla. I assume it's closely related to problems with some radar detectors not working in the Model S. What I find interesting about it is that I don't think this should be considered a fault in the Tesla, nor do I think this should be considered a fault of EZPass, yet there is clearly a problem. There is no requirement that a car windshield be compatible with EZPass, nor is there a requirement that EZPass work with all windshields.

Tesla, and/or EZPass could try to engineer a solution. Though I would assume the problem will go ignored by EZPass unless it becomes a bigger problem across multiple manufacturers. Meanwhile, changing the windshield design would be a huge change for Tesla just to support a 3rd party use case.

I'm also highly curious what it is about the Tesla windshield that is apparently different from other manufacturers windshields.

EDIT: I do see some anecdotal reports online of people having EZPass problems on some other vehicles as well.

Last edited:
Looking at my ezpass history recently wondering why my account is replenishing more often than it should, I noticed that ever since I moved up to the finger lakes 3 months ago and my work schedule takes me every thursday from around Harrison NJ straight up through Newburgh I noticed that New York was slamming me with a MAX TOLL every time I get on the NY Thruway at Garden State Parkway (exit 14) and getting off at Newburgh (exit 17).

The charge should be $1.33 but they are charging me $16.10. this happened 9 different times so they have ripped me off ~$132 over the last 3 months. (basically once a week). all of this is because the ezpass doesn't read through the Tesla Model S's defective windshield.

In NJ (aka NJTurnpike) they are able to just read license plates and figure out where you entered and exit and my account gets charged appropriately (I've confirmed this reading the statements and looking at charges), but in NY they just hit you with a MAX TOLL of $16.10 per instance. WTF. currently disputing this.

so basically a PSA to anyone using these ezpass (& equiv) tags on Tesla's KNOWN defective windshield to check your account statements for errors like this. (fyi Tesla refused to replace my defective windshield even though obviously it was delivered to me defective on day 1.)

here's a snippet showing 3 of the MAX TOLLs they are slamming me with every week:

View attachment 95941

Yea....just send ezpass a message, I've been doing it for the misreads I get on the gwb....I get charged regular rate but always ask for the credit for my green pass and i get it. Pita,but at least they honor. For those type of tolls that have entrance and exit is hard ,nys thruway I try to just take my ezpass out on those,but I haven't been charged the full toll rate even on misreads on entry/exits. Maybe since I have a nysthruway green ezpass. And for nj turnpike I have a nj green pass. Both registered with my plate.

I had a misread on the tapp the other day. Will check my statements

Just as an fyi. Whitestone,throggs,triboro/rfk,verraz,Henry Hudson,crossbay require a NYS issued ezpass to get the discounted rates.

Yes we all hate EZpass!! Lol

The windshield is not defective, there is no requirement for ezpass tags to be read through the windshield. It is well known with multiple threads about this. This is why ezpass offers a front plate mounted tag. They've offered it for years because there are a whole list of cars that the tags can't be read through the window on.

My ezpass transponder is the exterior license plate unit that I have mounted behind the nosecone, the only place it doesn't read is the verrazzano bridge

EZpass has a solution, as I mentioned, the exterior tag. Its nothing Tesla specific, in fact there are like 100 different cars that need to use it.

EZpass has a list of some of them here

Here in NJ and NY we have special green ezpass tags that are only made in INTERIOR tags. They do not make external GREEN ezpass's.

And Yes I know well about all the other threads. But this is the first instance that I know of that's causing massive overcharges and would have gone unnoticed unless checked.

Here in NJ and NY we have special green ezpass tags that are only made in INTERIOR tags. They do not make external GREEN ezpass's.

And Yes I know well about all the other threads. But this is the first instance that I know of that's causing massive overcharges and would have gone unnoticed unless checked.

Just checked mine....I only have some misreads on the thruway on exit 16...I only get hit the regular ezpass rate so I miss out on the 10cents unless i contact them.

Do you go through the express lanes? Or the regular ezpass lanes? I'm like 80-90% reads on mine since I go really slow approaching the gate and usually do a full stop right before the window and that usually does the trick. Worst case is I pull the ezpass off and wave it through sunroof or outside window. It sucks. But this is what we need to do.

What's a GREEN ezpass?

We have a similar problem in VA. The HOV ezpasses are interior only. But you can use an exterior one if you call them to enable HOV mode before your trip. So that's the path I took. A bit of a PITA, but it's better than nothing.

Express but it doesn't matter. Mine is 100% failure rate on both. It's never read successfully, ever.

Express lanes will never work from experience...the scanners are too fast..... I think if u go on the regular ezpass lanes they will probably charge u the correct rate entry/exit tolls...not sure though. As of today...I haven't been charged the full length toll rate on the thruway,but maybe that's because I have at least one read either on entry or exit.,but I go through reg ezpass lanes. I don't do express lanes unless I know it's a toll that it doesn't matter on entry/exit.

So this is only happening on the NY thruway? You swap green passes NY/nj everytime?

I mounted my interior one to the back of the nosecone and have had no problems in CA. Worth a try.
when did the EZPASS network expand to CA? I thought that EZPASS was a north east network. I was told that the using a transponder designed for the interior wouldn't last in exterior usage.

- - - Updated - - -

Express lanes will never work from experience...the scanners are too fast..... I think if u go on the regular ezpass lanes they will probably charge u the correct rate entry/exit tolls...not sure though. As of today...I haven't been charged the full length toll rate on the thruway,but maybe that's because I have at least one read either on entry or exit.,but I go through reg ezpass lanes. I don't do express lanes unless I know it's a toll that it doesn't matter on entry/exit.

So this is only happening on the NY thruway? You swap green passes NY/nj everytime?
by saying express lanes do you mean the lanes where there is a gantry overhead to read the passes or do you mean the HOV lanes in VA that have variable pricing depending on occupants of the car, time and volume of traffic? if the former I've never had issues with my nosecone mounted transponder and the later doesn't work well in the Tesla because in order to get the HOV lane discount you need to toggle a switch on an interior mounted transponder which may or may not work because of the shielding in the windshield.

Here in SoCal, *if* you register the car and plate info with Metro Expresslanes/Fastrak (ME), the cameras read said rear plate and one's account is debited accordingly. I display no front plate and no transponder - yet I have received quarterly statements with the correct amount deducted for using toll roads.

*However*, please note that the good folks at ME did just include in their periodic email a note to display the transponder if one has been issued, since otherwise one risks a ticket from "law enforcement personnel [dedicated to patrolling those lanes].

Now, here's the tricky part - Teslas are in fact included within a list of vehicles at the ME site that they say have incompatible (metal oxide-coated) windshields. So... one must display an unnecessary and potentially unusable white plastic box to enable, essentially, laziness on the part of law enforcement - same church, different pew as having to display HOV stickers upon a(ny) vehicle that isn't going to grow a tailpipe anytime soon. If an officer can get close enough to note no stickers, then they can note no tailpipe(s). But there'd be no revenue or quota fulfillment in that. And spare me the "they're just doing their job" pablum; all professionals have discretion, and there's a *lot* more to law enforcement then padding one's stats. See aforementioned laziness.

*Caveat* - I have not used toll *lanes* (such as found on the 110) versus toll *roads* (such as the 73) since receiving the above notice. *and* I won't know whether the amounts are still deducted correctly until receiving the next quarterly statement. However, if they aren't deducted and my car *is* flagged, I would expect to receive a violation notice right quickly. It is also possible that instead of a violation, they would just assess the max toll as happened to the OP.

I did ask for a license plate frame device last time I visited the ME folks - they said they didn't have any and that they would send me the standard transponder even though I couldn't use it.

when did the EZPASS network expand to CA? I thought that EZPASS was a north east network. I was told that the using a transponder designed for the interior wouldn't last in exterior usage.

- - - Updated - - -

by saying express lanes do you mean the lanes where there is a gantry overhead to read the passes or do you mean the HOV lanes in VA that have variable pricing depending on occupants of the car, time and volume of traffic? if the former I've never had issues with my nosecone mounted transponder and the later doesn't work well in the Tesla because in order to get the HOV lane discount you need to toggle a switch on an interior mounted transponder which may or may not work because of the shielding in the windshield.

Express lanes that are like 35mph right next to the standard lanes. The former

Ours is called Fastrack. Could be different tech, but I am thinking that it is a radio transmission problem. Could be wrong. I had the same problem when mounted on the interior. I had to hold it out the window. Now, in the nosecone, it seems fine. Yes, mine is for interior, but I haven't had any moisture problems with it. Not that it has rained that much out here...in four years. But on the few occasions that it has, no problems yet.

EZPass worked through the dots (right of mirror) of the pre-autopilot windshield we had. Had to mount it upside down. Nothing works on the AP car, post ~58000 VIN. I put screws through the nose, the plate, and the special plate Transponder about two weeks ago. That works. I mounted it to the bottom, instead of where EZPass recommends the top. It looks better, still works, and may just cause the car to need to be a little further through the booth. So far, so reliable.

Slightly off topic. I discovered a typical Sirius XM antenna will read upward through the hatch window, assuming you don't have the sound option.