Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F-150 Ford Lightning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, there is so much Ford hate in this thread. Methinks some people are massively underwater on their TSLA shares and are lashing out.

Here is my $0.02.... I am disappointed in the range (though Ford may just be being conservative like Porsche since they are new to the game) but I am THRILLED at the amount of AC Outlets. I am assuming the 240VAC in the bed is 30A? This throws down the gauntlet to Tesla. Tesla has been cagey about power outlets. Now with both Ford and Atlis promising 240/30A Tesla will have to respond. I also like their commitment for being a mobile Powerwall, though I would like more details. They keep showing people using their phones. Ford does know that cell phones stop working fairly soon after the power goes out right? There needs to be a non-wireless way to initiate home power.

In all, a fine initial showing. They will find a market. Plenty of people around here will not drive a CT as it is too weird. Ford will sell a lot of these.

I also like their commitment for being a mobile Powerwall, though I would like more details. They keep showing people using their phones. Ford does know that cell phones stop working fairly soon after the power goes out right? There needs to be a non-wireless way to initiate home power.

Good news then, if the main power goes out, it automatically shifts over to battery backup mode. The reason to use the phone is for the folks taking advantage of avoiding on-peak energy usage so they'll switch to battery use when their energy gets expensive.

It is a good sign for EVs for sure! Ford is in a tough spot though, they either make the truck too good and it cannibalizes their ICE offerings or too bad and no one buys it. If the truck is too good and they cant source enough batteries (or chips) then that makes them look bad too and customers will look at other offerings (Rivan, CT, etc). I think I heard they are going to only offer 40k production of trucks in 2022 and it appears that 'reservations' are worthless and Ford is just trying to get your money and dealerships are just trying to get your contact info for marketing. They saw what Tesla did with the $100 deposit and decides to take page out of their book.

1621873468300.png

Ford had their EV F150 demo 2 years ago but it didn't seem to make as much fanfare as the recent Lightning event. It's going to be a very interesting next 2-3 years in the automotive industry, I guess Ford/GM cant kill off their EV program this time due to Tesla's growing presence. :cool:

Reactions: alexgr
I like the Lightning's V2G capability, wish Tesla offered it.

And I do believe in having additional EV competition. In fact the more the merrier because it will be us, the consumers, that benefit from improving products.

Ford says Lightning deliveries are starting mid-2022 but that remains to yet be seen, there are chip and battery supply constraints with which all car makers are still contending presently.

Meanwhile, Ford still has to sell enough gas F-150s to not only pay their normal bills, but to also finance this whole transition to producing EV Lightnings and Mach-Es.

Sure, Ford took in over 44,000 reservations for the Lightning in just the first 48 hours, a very good and excellent thing. Heck, they may be up near a hundred thousand reserves by now.

But what worries me is that, each of those reservations stands for one less ICE F-150 they would and should be selling right now, just to keep the lights on.

I fear a potential Osborne Effect brewing.

Because all the guys that were ready to buy a gas F-150 are now gonna sit and wait. After all, who would keep buying music on CDs if they knew mp3 technology was coming out next year?

Last edited:
They keep showing people using their phones. Ford does know that cell phones stop working fairly soon after the power goes out right? There needs to be a non-wireless way to initiate home power.

So . . . here in the land of wildfires and preemptive power blackouts, most (if not all) cell tower owners are installing backup generation at cell tower cites to provide continued mobile communication when the "power" goes out.

Compared to the Cybertruck, Rivian R1T, and Hummer EV, Its range is bottom of the barrel. However it might be enough for most people. All the other benefits and features of the truck are amazing. Home power during an outage, huge frunk with 4 ac outlets, scale in the truck bed. I think this will sell like hot cakes while the $7500 tax credit is still in effect for Ford. Once the tax credit withers away, Ford will hopefully have a 400+ mile range version to make up for it. This is amazing news for Ford and the EV world in general.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I'll say it again, the first one to collaborate with Tesla and their charging infrastructure will be the winner.......
The problem is that none of these Ford executives drives an EV.

If they did they would know that the Electrify America stations are unreliable. The card readers only work half the time and the machines will overheat and just stop working at random times. Same with ChargePoint and EV GO.

Talking about the F150 with a buddy today. Seems like the dual motor Cyber truck and F150 with similar specs are also similar priced.....with federal tax credit applied!! :oops:

53k (XLT) + extended battery option (??) - 7.5k federal tax credit = Definitely more than 45.5k

Doubt the battery option is going to be less than $5k. That means a comparably spec F150 (ie 0-60 time, tow capacity, and range) is going to cost more than a Cybertruck after incentives. No thanks; keeping my Cybertruck reservation.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 6.49.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 6.50.11 PM.png

EDIT: Unless Ford means it comes with the extended range battery as standard. 🤔 Eh...I read it as the XLT offers an available option, not a standard feature.

Reactions: alexgr
53k (XLT) + extended battery option (??) - 7.5k federal tax credit = Definitely more than 45.5k

Doubt the battery option is going to be less than $5k. That means a comparably spec F150 (ie 0-60 time, tow capacity, and range) is going to cost more than a Cybertruck after incentives. No thanks; keeping my Cybertruck reservation.
Remember also that BlueCruise, a PR pillar in Ford's lost war against the basic Autopilot, is a $600 option ... standard seats in the XLT are standard cloth, and the screen is NOT that 15.5" Mach-E screen. Even with the extended range, you need to get at least to the Lariat trim to match on paper some of the mid-range CT options. That will bring your price closer to 70k. And then you can look that the gasoline XLT is 14k cheaper than EV, and an average Ford F-150 buyers will be laughing at a dealer who tries to sell an F-150 for 14k+ extra, with less range, and a need to wait for almost an hour to charge it on the road to tow for another 100 miles.

All the other benefits and features of the truck are amazing. Home power during an outage, huge frunk with 4 ac outlets, scale in the truck bed.

Most of which those feature are optional additions that cost more.

Talking about the F150 with a buddy today. Seems like the dual motor Cyber truck and F150 with similar specs are also similar priced.....with federal tax credit applied!! :oops:

The extended range, 300 mile, battery is an optional addition to the Pro, XLT, and Lariat trims. (It is only standard on the Platinum.) Rumors are that it will add $10k to the price.

View attachment 665832View attachment 665831
EDIT: Unless Ford means it comes with the extended range battery as standard. 🤔 Eh...I read it as the XLT offers an available option, not a standard feature.

We have to wait until the updated Cybertruck price comes out. There is no way the CT price is staying the same given current steel prices.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
I'll say it again, the first one to collaborate with Tesla and their charging infrastructure will be the winner.......
that apparently is not ever going to happen, the industry has adapted the CCS charging system for their cars, which is already the standard outside of north america. the North American tesla connection is the beta max of charging. while it might be a better system all the players have chosen CCS.

I have a friend who is a hardcore pro GM, anti-Ford guy, grew up working on cars, loves to get his hands dirty, and can pretty much fix anything. He's a dyed-in-the-wool conservative Republican, and thinks AGW is a bunch of BS.

He has a home in a retirement community where the primary around-town transportation is a golf cart. He owns an ICE and EV cart, and drives the EV whenever possible (for non-environmental reasons - torque, ease of use, full "tank" every morning, low maintenance, etc). He drove my S and was amazed. Between that, he is a complete EV fan.

I sent him a couple of articles about the F-150 Lighting, and he can't stop talking about how cool it is. He cc'ed me on an email to a bunch of his R car-guy friends about what a hit this will be. I'm waiting to see what kind of response it gets.

If there are more people like him, this truck will be a hit. It's just a matter of exposing people to the EV experience via marketing/test drives.

I also have a friend like this. Sees very little in the sustainability of EV's even though electricity can be renewed. But admits how excellent they are, and after much chatting about it, now even understands the HUGE appeal for urban areas.

Thats part of the excitement I have to get our Y, to take people on rides. (if we ever get it lol) All the folks I know Ive told about it, make the same "how does that even work?" face

The problem is that none of these Ford executives drives an EV.

If they did they would know that the Electrify America stations are unreliable. The card readers only work half the time and the machines will overheat and just stop working at random times. Same with ChargePoint and EV GO.
Actually in the Farley interview I posted earlier in this thread he talked about that very thing.

Now if Ford is actually able to do anything about it remains to be seen, as the "Fordpass Network" actually seems to be conglomeration of other networks, with EA's being a significant one.

Good news then, if the main power goes out, it automatically shifts over to battery backup mode. The reason to use the phone is for the folks taking advantage of avoiding on-peak energy usage so they'll switch to battery use when their energy gets expensive.

Yeah, but it doesn't just happen with your charger. You need to be wired through an automatic transfer switch for that to happen.