Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F-150 Ford Lightning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just hope that they're sand bagging their range so owners won't be disappointed when they haul extra gear.

I'm a little disappointed by the 15-80% charge speed being 44 minutes as that's somewhat slower than my Model 3's charging speed. What's interesting to me is that the extended range version charges from 15%-80% in 3 less minutes than the standard one so it's probably able to either exceed 150kW or have a flatter charging curve.

The charging rate is just as good. Look at the table below. Mobile charger charges at 32A, just like Tesla's. Wall charger charges at 48A, just like Tesla's. They also have an 80A wall charger, just like Tesla used to support with the dual on board chargers.

You need to think about how much bigger of a battery it is. You're filling a larger volume at the same rate as the Tesla.

Charging-Options-and-Estimated-Charge-Times.jpg

I hope they sell a boatlaod of these and have so much demand they have no choice but to continue to invest heavily in EV's...

It's gonna happen.

I was talking to a "truck guy" friend of mine last night. He's concerned about range, as his cabin is a 210 mile round trip. He thinks he'd have to charge up. I'm like...ok, how often are you at the cabin and you don't go overnight? And if you have to stop and charge, it'll be like for 15 minutes. Big whoop.

So much fear when you've never lived with an EV. We were all there once. It's just becomes a non-issue once you understand how to live with it.

I can't imagine if 90% of what you did was drive your truck from your house or shop to work / jobsites / recreation and back, why you would want an ICE version of this truck. If you routinely tow, or long trip, sure I get it. But just bombing around town? No reason to buy the ICE version any more.

19.2kW (80A@240V) for 8hrs = 153.6kWh. Assume 10% charging loss, that's ~138kWh delivered to the battery to add 85%, so 138/0.85 = ~160kWh pack.

19.2kW gives 30mph vs 59mph on my dual charger S. So the F-150 uses >600Wh/mile. Yikes!

160000Wh / 600Wh/mi = 267 mi range

Good math, except that's for the larger pack. So the 160000 Wh / 300 miles would be 533 wH / Mile.

I smell sandbagging.

Or they might be doing what I suspect and making EV’s so inconvenient for people they want to stick with ICE. I mean 230 starting range is honestly pathetic for a Truck, even a Mach-E in my opinion. Then you have to consider their pathetic nonexistent charging network.

On the other hand, you are right this might give them a kick in the ass to take existing charging networks and make them their own

You don't attach the Mustang and F150 nameplates to a vehicle and hope they fail. You just don't. If you think they're doing this, you really need to remove your tin foil hat.

There just isn't this kind of money to burn.

Or they might be doing what I suspect and making EV’s so inconvenient for people they want to stick with ICE. I mean 230 starting range is honestly pathetic for a Truck, even a Mach-E in my opinion. Then you have to consider their pathetic nonexistent charging network.

On the other hand, you are right this might give them a kick in the ass to take existing charging networks and make them their own
I dunno... given how much interest there is in traditional truck styling and layout, I'd bet that physics/cost/resources come in to play here.

While I have no doubt they probably aren't as efficient as Tesla in their design, getting that kind of range out of something with the aerodynamics of a brick at a price that isn't going to scare people away, and with the battery supply they may have available to them, 230-300 miles range seems like a reasonably earnest first effort.

While I wish manufacturers hadn't been such laggards, I (perhaps naively) choose to hope they are recognzing the inevitable and will try and make the jump. It's really what Elon wanted to spur.

I had hoped/wished the same for the Bolt as well, unfortunately GM really didn't seem to have their heart in it. That having been said, always happy to see one on the road.

It's gonna happen.

I was talking to a "truck guy" friend of mine last night. He's concerned about range, as his cabin is a 210 mile round trip. He thinks he'd have to charge up. I'm like...ok, how often are you at the cabin and you don't go overnight? And if you have to stop and charge, it'll be like for 15 minutes. Big whoop.

So much fear when you've never lived with an EV. We were all there once. It's just becomes a non-issue once you understand how to live with it.

I can't imagine if 90% of what you did was drive your truck from your house or shop to work / jobsites / recreation and back, why you would want an ICE version of this truck. If you routinely tow, or long trip, sure I get it. But just bombing around town? No reason to buy the ICE version any more.
A lot of folks won't give up their gas/diesel engines until you pry 'em out of their cold dead hands... even if they don't' have a heavy use scenario outside of the easy commute you mention. However I hope enough people will, and get over the range anxiety, that it won't matter.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I dunno... given how much interest there is in traditional truck styling and layout, I'd bet that physics/cost/resources come in to play here.

While I have no doubt they probably aren't as efficient as Tesla in their design, getting that kind of range out of something with the aerodynamics of a brick at a price that isn't going to scare people away, and with the battery supply they may have available to them, 230-300 miles range seems like a reasonably earnest first effort.

While I wish manufacturers hadn't been such laggards, I (perhaps naively) choose to hope they are recognzing the inevitable and will try and make the jump. It's really what Elon wanted to spur.

I had hoped/wished the same for the Bolt as well, unfortunately GM really didn't seem to have their heart in it. That having been said, always happy to see one on the road.
Having been a Ford fan all my life and watching them tease certain models (small compacts) only to have them not produce them because it would cut into other sales I have little faith they will continue on this path. There is just too much Oil money in their pocket to go all in.

Either way, they have something for us EV enthusiasts and I’m looking forward to it

Reactions: Peelz
You don't attach the Mustang and F150 nameplates to a vehicle and hope they fail. You just don't. If you think they're doing this, you really need to remove your tin foil hat.

There just isn't this kind of money to burn.

that is my take.

f150 is Ford's prize pig. There's no way they'd slaughter it for a short term gain. They will sell many

The range might be the down fall of heavy adoption with a load or towing. However, I'm not sure why manufactures, with the exception of Rivian, states loss of range with towing. Rivan states:

Our powertrain, thermal system and frame structure enable the R1T to tow up to 11,000 lbs in all variants. When towing at full capacity, you can expect around a 50% reduction in range.¹

I wish all manufactures stated what the range will be with a full load, or full towing.

Good on Rivian.

I don't think towing and EVs are realistic at the moment for long hauls. Short routes seems like he sweet spot for EV trucks.

Having been a Ford fan all my life and watching them tease certain models (small compacts) only to have them not produce them because it would cut into other sales I have little faith they will continue on this path. There is just too much Oil money in their pocket to go all in.

Either way, they have something for us EV enthusiasts and I’m looking forward to it
Could be, but I don't think that we are seeing them "EV’s so inconvenient for people they want to stick with ICE", as you describe, with this effort. 300 miles range for mid-5-digit prices in that form factor seems to be a darn decent shot given the constraints of physics.

Now there could be low production targets, lack of will to market/promote it, etc... driven by back-room oil-influenced politics, but I don't know I've seen any evidence of that at this point.

I would be interested in knowing how much battery supply they have in the pipeline...

I have a friend who is a hardcore pro GM, anti-Ford guy, grew up working on cars, loves to get his hands dirty, and can pretty much fix anything. He's a dyed-in-the-wool conservative Republican, and thinks AGW is a bunch of BS.

He has a home in a retirement community where the primary around-town transportation is a golf cart. He owns an ICE and EV cart, and drives the EV whenever possible (for non-environmental reasons - torque, ease of use, full "tank" every morning, low maintenance, etc). He drove my S and was amazed. Between that, he is a complete EV fan.

I sent him a couple of articles about the F-150 Lighting, and he can't stop talking about how cool it is. He cc'ed me on an email to a bunch of his R car-guy friends about what a hit this will be. I'm waiting to see what kind of response it gets.

If there are more people like him, this truck will be a hit. It's just a matter of exposing people to the EV experience via marketing/test drives.

A lot of folks won't give up their gas/diesel engines until you pry 'em out of their cold dead hands... even if they don't' have a heavy use scenario outside of the easy commute you mention. However I hope enough people will, and get over the range anxiety, that it won't matter.

Very true for sure. But as more people adopt them, it will snowball. Suddenly it will be the "cool thing" to have the F150 with the "party frunk" and all the outlets when tailgating at your favorite SEC / ACC College Football Game. And then it will go downhill from there.

No one cares about base 5.3 V8's, or 2.7 / 3.5 Ecoboosts. The bigger engines and diesels will continue to draw people, but for the base powertrains? See ya!

I have a friend who is a hardcore pro GM, anti-Ford guy, grew up working on cars, loves to get his hands dirty, and can pretty much fix anything. He's a dyed-in-the-wool conservative Republican, and thinks AGW is a bunch of BS.

He has a home in a retirement community where the primary around-town transportation is a golf cart. He owns an ICE and EV cart, and drives the EV whenever possible (for non-environmental reasons - torque, ease of use, full "tank" every morning, low maintenance, etc). He drove my S and was amazed. Between that, he is a complete EV fan.

I sent him a couple of articles about the F-150 Lighting, and he can't stop talking about how cool it is. He cc'ed me on an email to a bunch of his R car-guy friends about what a hit this will be. I'm waiting to see what kind of response it gets.

Bingo. All it takes is one hit on the EV Crack pipe plus some friends who think it's cool and the snowball starts from there.

Real world range will be better than given. Just like on the Mustang. I'd be shocked if this thing averaged 550 plus Wh/mile unladen.
I wouldn't. The X incurs 350+ and it's highly optimized.

The relatively un-aero frontal profile, high ride height, large tires, and the biggest killer: an open truck bed. I'd also bet Ford's motors (on edit: and inverters) aren't as efficient as Tesla's.

Last edited: