Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F-150 Ford Lightning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most EA are not like that, not like on Ford's CGI. Many EA chargers are in Walmart parking lots with no way to park parallel to the charger. The problem is that Ford does not control the charging infrastructure and cannot easily make changes for its vehicles. Tesla HAS supercharger slots for drive-through charging, and Tesla plans to install more of those and more wider and longer charging places for the Cybertruck, which has the charging port close to its tail and accessible for standard superchargers.

Many EA stations are like THIS:

View attachment 664969

If you travel and this is the only type of charger parking in an area on your road trip, then you are pretty much fkuced with your F-150 ... well, unless you park parallel to all chargers blocking all of them. :rolleyes:
And most superchargers are like that, too. But we get it, you hate Ford. Although equating a charge port location with the deadly Pinto fries was a bit over the line.

Reactions: mk677
I think you guys are over estimating the size of the F150. The placement of the charge port is where it is on most EVs, the front end of an F150, bumper to wheel well, isn't longer than most standard vehicles and SUVs. The main limiting factor to the F150 may be that, for a lot of the other EVs, if you pull up to a station where the only available cord is on the opposite side, you can back in and reach the port that way, rather than dragging it over the hood. The F150 is likely too long to back in and too tall to drag a cord over the hood, it needs to pull in nose first, and it will need that EV station to be on the driver side of the vehicle.

Here's a fun site where you can directly compare vehicle sizes, bumper to wheel well a Ford F150 is barely bigger than a Toyota Corolla.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Most EA are not like that, not like on Ford's CGI. Many EA chargers are in Walmart parking lots with no way to park parallel to the charger. The problem is that Ford does not control the charging infrastructure and cannot easily make changes for its vehicles. Tesla HAS supercharger slots for drive-through charging, and Tesla plans to install more of those and more wider and longer charging places for the Cybertruck, which has the charging port close to its tail and accessible for standard superchargers.

View attachment 664969

If you travel and this is the only type of charger parking in an area on your road trip, then you are pretty much fkuced with your F-150 ... well, unless you park parallel to all chargers blocking all of them. :rolleyes:
I have never encountered an EA unit configured like this, carry on with the FUD

Or they might be doing what I suspect and making EV’s so inconvenient for people they want to stick with ICE. I mean 230 starting range is honestly pathetic for a Truck, even a Mach-E in my opinion. Then you have to consider their pathetic nonexistent charging network.

On the other hand, you are right this might give them a kick in the ass to take existing charging networks and make them their own
Not sure why everyone on EV forum's so obsessed with range . There is a lot to a vehicle than range alone. Driving dynamics, handling, quality of stereo, etc.

Reactions: mk677
😂

Such a bad design, if only there were charging stations designed like gas station :rolleyes: and there are more coming in a similar fashion..... meanwhile we are still trying to figure out when Tesla will start with a similar design to accommodate CT that are Towing. View attachment 664963View attachment 664964View attachment 664965

Very good renderings.
Mistakes - Pic2 - look at palm tree shadow vs the charging cable shadow.
Pic 3 - Look at the utility wires and poles in the background. Ouch.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Not sure why everyone on EV forum's so obsessed with range . There is a lot to a vehicle than range alone. Driving dynamics, handling, quality of stereo, etc.
so true about this obsession with range.
back in the early days before there were so many places to charge range was an issue but in cars with the range of a tesla or others that have 250 mile or so of range there really is no imperative to offer more range for a couple of reasons.

one being that 95% of people rarely if ever take long road trips and their daily driving is almost always under 200 miles per day, excluding those outliers with 100 mile one way commutes, and for long distance travel most places, US/EU are well covered with chargers.

all you need is enough range to make it to the next charger and if you are a skilled road tripper you are driving the bottom of the battery, never filling the battery to 100% soc.

to sum up, the current teslas with ranges from 250 miles to over 300 miles are sufficient for almost everyone.

Reactions: miatadan
Still not FUD.

The Google image reference was an easy way for you to see that not all of them are pull through.

That the convo has devolved into thinking charging station layout is a necessary topic to this EV is FUD, because it stems from someone just baselessly asserting that the cables won't be able to reach the Lightning's charging port. I don't see any reason to assume that regardless of whether the EV station is pull up or pull through.

That the convo has devolved into thinking charging station layout is a necessary topic to this EV is FUD, because it stems from someone just baselessly asserting that the cables won't be able to reach the Lightning's charging port. I don't see any reason to assume that regardless of whether the EV station is pull up or pull through.
the person making the charging station argument has a neurotic hatred of anything ford and will and has been posting all sorts of fud to in support of his psychotic hatred of anything ford.

Thead title changed? Why?

Specifically from "Ford F-150 Lighting" to "Ford Lighting Pickup a Good Sign for the Acceleration of EVs" (already used for a staff blog post).

Mods, please restore the original title. This was/is a general discussion of the truck, not specifically about what it means for the future of EV's.

Last edited:
I see. The previous posts on page 9 were discussing towing and charge station location. I don’t think there will be an issue with the F150 (by itself) and EA.

View attachment 664969

"Most" ....... I just told you EA and Ford are working to solve this issue....meanwhile at Tesla.....

And most superchargers are like that, too. But we get it, you hate Ford. Although equating a charge port location with the deadly Pinto fries was a bit over the line.

My points are these:
1) Tesla, unlike Ford, controls its charging infrastructure and Tesla IS planning modifications to enable more towing vehicles to have drive-through charging ability. EA may not care at all if the they have no drive-through capable stations within 100 miles radius or so.

2) Pinto came up when I compared the push of Ford for new vehicles and making ads like "Ford XXX vs. YYY". Also, the Pinto fires story is the story of professional ethics failure by Ford's top management, and Ford's recent claims of superior quality of its vehicles seem to be laughable in retrospect of Ford's history.