Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F-150 Ford Lightning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found the repair of high volume Ford products superior to Tesla. But all the old manufacturers will likely be terrible for several years when it comes to repairing EV specific parts.

Tesla is headed in the right direction with the combination if insurance, service center and bodyshop. But they still need to accept that when there is scarcity repair parts must be prioritized over production parts.
They can barely handle a door handle repair you think they need more crap to do?

How much you want to bet some of the same issues will show up on the Lightning? I foresee the 'stop safely now' issue happing, OTAs will be handled poorly and there'll be random somewhere issues with the door locks and infotainment system.

I'll take that bet. The Mach-E was/is the Beta for the Lightning. Will there be issues? Of course, every Tesla has issues also, as well as Vivian's. But will there be the same amount as the Mach-E? I don't think so. The F-150 is Fords bread and butter, unless they want to sabotage themselves, I don't foresee major issues.

Reactions: KJD
I'll take that bet. The Mach-E was/is the Beta for the Lightning. Will there be issues? Of course, every Tesla has issues also, as well as Vivian's. But will there be the same amount as the Mach-E? I don't think so. The F-150 is Fords bread and butter, unless they want to sabotage themselves, I don't foresee major issues.
Ford is very predictable; I hope you're right. We'll see.

When is Ford going to learn ? They need to ditch the dealership model and sell direct to the customer. These dealerships are going to do everything they can to sabotage the EV rollout.

Reactions: dbldwn02
When is Ford going to learn ? They need to ditch the dealership model and sell direct to the customer. These dealerships are going to do everything they can to sabotage the EV rollout.

Yep, but dealerships are still too important to Ford at the moment and is the reason they continue to play ball. That Farley is just a used car salesman. At least with Tesla, what you see is what you get. No sweaty, shady 'finance guy' trying to squeeze the last dime out of you so he can impress his mistress.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
Yep, but dealerships are still too important to Ford at the moment and is the reason they continue to play ball. That Farley is just a used car salesman. At least with Tesla, what you see is what you get. No sweaty, shady 'finance guy' trying to squeeze the last dime out of you so he can impress his mistress.
Plenty of shady stuff going on w/ Tesla too. They jacked a bunch of Refresh owners who had 5 and 7 seat orders to "upgrade" to a 6 seat in order to "guarantee delivery by 12/31/21. Many people took this deal and spent thousands of dollars on a configuration they didn't want only to have Tesla not meet their "guarantee".

Not to mention Tesla delivering Refresh Model Xs with scratches on the paint, messed up and mismatching trim pieces, half of the speakers disconnected, microphones disconnected, etc. With the dealership model, the dealer gets paid by the factory to prep and test the car. Also, they have incentive to deliver a good car as they want you to come back. Tesla literally does not care. The Delivery Center is paid purely on the number of deliveries, not on the condition of the car or customer satisfaction. There are tons of stories of home deliveries where the Tesla rep gets out of the car, threatens the customer with canceling their order if they don't immediately accept the car, and then jumping into their Uber to take them back to their office.

You are new here and have bought 1 Tesla. It's not all rainbows and unicorns, believe me.

I have worked at Dealerships and my son has worked at Dealerships. You would not believe the crap that the factory pushes out for dealers to fix. Granted the factory pays for the fixes. But still some cars need repair before being sold. My girlfriend's sister bought a Hyundai and the factory forgot to put rear speakers in the car. An F250 King Ranch delivered to the dealer with a cloth passenger seat.

I have worked at Dealerships and my son has worked at Dealerships. You would not believe the crap that the factory pushes out for dealers to fix. Granted the factory pays for the fixes. But still some cars need repair before being sold. My girlfriend's sister bought a Hyundai and the factory forgot to put rear speakers in the car. An F250 King Ranch delivered to the dealer with a cloth passenger seat.
@ThomasD That's actually really interesting to know. I've long had a suspicion that Tesla's factory QA issues aren't that much worse than many other carmakers (at least not anymore), rather the bigger difference is Tesla delivery centers don't look for or fix anything unless it prevents the customer from driving away. Whereas I believe most dealerships, even the sleaziest, most customer-fleecing ones, usually give their cars a halfway decent lookover and fix any glaring issues before their customers ever see it.

In theory Tesla could do proper pre-delivery QA too if they wanted, but clearly they have no incentive for it right now. Maybe someday.

Last edited:
Reactions: SO16
I have a 1997 F-150 that has been very reliable I do not drive it much used for yard cleanup and dump runs. I put gas in it every couple of months and when I see the gas prices I’m very motivated to get an electric truck. What I like about Tesla and Rivian is that you go on your phone and request a service call, they come to your house and fix the problem. Not sure I want to go to the Ford dealership.
drive that f-150 for 200,000 - seems you'll need another lifetime. You can be one of the last to buy gasoline.
Charge your friends for dump runs - and they will pay for all your gas. You'll make friends too.

So you're saying it's going to be better than the Refresh Model X. I'm not worried about Ford.
I'm not worried about Ford either, just their customers.
Plenty of shady stuff going on w/ Tesla too. They jacked a bunch of Refresh owners who had 5 and 7 seat orders to "upgrade" to a 6 seat in order to "guarantee delivery by 12/31/21. Many people took this deal and spent thousands of dollars on a configuration they didn't want only to have Tesla not meet their "guarantee".
They made a choice to take the deal? Where's the problem? No one forced their hand at gunpoint.

Not to mention Tesla delivering Refresh Model Xs with scratches on the paint, messed up and mismatching trim pieces, half of the speakers disconnected, microphones disconnected, etc. With the dealership model, the dealer gets paid by the factory to prep and test the car.
And yet there are multiple reports of scratched or peeling paint, dents, misaligned roofs and doors, loose bolts, water leaks, software issues etc on Mach-Es. So I guess the dealer 'prep' is mostly BS.

Also, they have incentive to deliver a good car as they want you to come back. Tesla literally does not care. The Delivery Center is paid purely on the number of deliveries, not on the condition of the car or customer satisfaction. There are tons of stories of home deliveries where the Tesla rep gets out of the car, threatens the customer with canceling their order if they don't immediately accept the car, and then jumping into their Uber to take them back to their office.

You are new here and have bought 1 Tesla. It's not all rainbows and unicorns, believe me.
I never said it was all rainbows and unicorns. My point was, you get what you see and not forced to deal with the dealership model shady practices.
And on delivery day, the customer gets to look over the car and make a decision. If I was threatened by a Tesla rep, I'd simply call the corporate office. If I got nowhere, I would no longer care to purchase one of their cars.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SO16 and Doc Brown