Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F-150 Ford Lightning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd buy one today if they had one in stock and didn't charge a market adj.
I said it before and I'll say it again. There are plenty of dealers who will sell for MSRP (one in Philly area for 3% UNDER MSRP). If you pay above MSRP, you're a sucker who didn't do their homework, plain and simple.

It's possible to order the Pro extended range if you're a fleet customer
Per my local dealer (who charges MSRP), it's a $10k option (available to fleet customers only) to add the extended range battery to the Pro.

Reactions: Zer0t
I said it before and I'll say it again. There are plenty of dealers who will sell for MSRP (one in Philly area for 3% UNDER MSRP). If you pay above MSRP, you're a sucker who didn't do their homework, plain and simple.

Per my local dealer (who charges MSRP), it's a $10k option (available to fleet customers only) to add the extended range battery to the Pro.
Well… you seem to be in the minority. Lucky you for having that option nearby. Over 80% of purchases are over MSRP.

“In January, buyers paid above the manufacturer's suggested retail price in 82.2% of new-vehicle purchases compared with 2.8% in January 2021, Edmunds.com, a car shopping analyst and data company, said in a report it released Tuesday. “

Well… you seem to be in the minority. Lucky you for having that option nearby. Over 80% of purchases are over MSRP.

“In January, buyers paid above the manufacturer's suggested retail price in 82.2% of new-vehicle purchases compared with 2.8% in January 2021, Edmunds.com, a car shopping analyst and data company, said in a report it released Tuesday. “

There are dealers all over the country selling for MSRP. If people really wanted the answer, they can easily find it on the F150 forums (there's a pinned thread, it's not hard to find). People here mostly just want to whine about the big bad Ford dealers.

There are dealers all over the country selling for MSRP. If people really wanted the answer, they can easily find it on the F150 forums (there's a pinned thread, it's not hard to find). People here mostly just want to whine about the big bad Ford dealers.
Perhaps but 82% is a significant number.

That tells me on the whole, yes, dealers are pretty bad.

BTW, I have purchased 3 fords at a dealer, two GMs at a dealer, still own a Ford and have a family member that works at a ford dealership. So I’m not speaking from inexperience.

You're in New Hampshire. You know nothing about the market nationwide much less here in the NW. I did check and no dealer I called in OR or WA would commit to a MSRP price. They all said"WE'LL SEE when it comes in". Oh yea if its so simply why did Ford issue a nation wide threat to dealers that were charging massive mark ups demanding they sell at MSRP?

I ordered shortly after they open up. The way it worked then is you sent your $ to Ford and they assigned you a dealer that you were supposed to use (it would be delivered to them). That made it impossible to use another dealer. Refuse to pay a mark up and they would just sell it to someone who would. So how was I suppose to do all this simple homework? Could be different now but they've already lost my business.

It amazes me that folks try to defend Ford dealers in any way. You shouldn't have to play the old shop around game and hope you can find someone who will play nice.

And that folks is why I will probably never get one. And I'm ok with that.

I do have a CT on order so I'll have to limp along with my Tundra until I can get what I want.

You're in New Hampshire. You know nothing about the market nationwide much less here in the NW.
I make no claim to know the nationwide market, but there are 2 dealers in OR and 7 in WA who have committed to no ADM. Depending on how much you are planning to spend, you could order from the dealer in PA selling for 3% under MSRP, ship it to the NW, and still come out under MSRP.

Google "ford lightning dealers adm" and all your questions will be answered. I'm not posting a link to another forum here.

I ordered shortly after they open up. The way it worked then is you sent your $ to Ford and they assigned you a dealer that you were supposed to use (it would be delivered to them). That made it impossible to use another dealer. Refuse to pay a mark up and they would just sell it to someone who would. So how was I suppose to do all this simple homework? Could be different now but they've already lost my business.
I put down a deposit before the reveal livestream opened. They did not assign me a dealer; I got to pick one. Plus you can move the reservation to another dealer, you are not bound to the original dealer you selected.

Gee guess things have changed. It wasn't that way when I ordered. I even posted a "Better read this before you order a Lightning" post when I first ordered but that was a while back. I chronicled everything I was told.

No matter what it's good for you now. I don't care to debate our different experiences with ford. And I did get my deposit back pretty fast. Hope you get your truck soon.

Will you pay a premium if required? If so how much over MSRP would you be willing to go? I do want this to succeed but unwilling to enterain any mark up so I probably won't be getting on. I originally ordered one just after they started taking reservations but cancelled when the local dealer explained that they will charge a market adjustment. I have heard that Ford is trying to stop this but I don't really know if they are successful.

I'd buy one today if they had one in stock and didn't charge a market adj.
MSRP deal agreed to by dealer. They put it on a sales order and an email from sales manager. No add ons, no ADM, no required coating, etc. They will buy back my Bronco for 2k more than I paid, which was MSRP, but I’ll probably keep it.

NJ has no sales tax on BEVs thus that’s quite a savings. This is also still eligible 7500 tax credit so it’s net to 72500 for a loaded Lariat with 320 mile range. I think the price of BEVs It’s pretty well priced.

You're in New Hampshire. You know nothing about the market nationwide much less here in the NW. I did check and no dealer I called in OR or WA would commit to a MSRP price. They all said"WE'LL SEE when it comes in". Oh yea if its so simply why did Ford issue a nation wide threat to dealers that were charging massive mark ups demanding they sell at MSRP?

It amazes me that folks try to defend Ford dealers in any way. You shouldn't have to play the old shop around game and hope you can find someone who will play nice.

And that folks is why I will probably never get one. And I'm ok with that.

I do have a CT on order so I'll have to limp along with my Tundra until I can get what I want.

The Ford Memo was for the Demos Ford was sending to the dealers.

Once again, you are spreading misinformation. Prior to ordering, you, the customer had a chance to see the dealer markup if there was any. At that time you had a choice to continue to place your order with the chosen dealer or pick up the phone and change dealers. How do i know? Because that’s exactly what I did when I found out the dealer initially chosen decided to hide a $5k markup.

No one here is defending dealers, what we are saying is if you choose to pay markup for any vehicle you are an idiot.

Last edited:
The Ford Memo was for the Demos Ford was sending to the dealers.

Once again, you are spreading misinformation. Prior to ordering, you, the customer had a chance to see the dealer markup if there was any. At that time you had a choice to continue to place your order with the chosen dealer or pick up the phone and change dealers. How do i know? Because that’s exactly what I did when I found out the dealer initially chosen decided to hide a $5k markup.

No one here is defending dealers, what we are saying is if you choose to pay markup for any vehicle you are an idiot.
I guess it depends how quick someone wants their vehicle. Yes you can switch dealers to avoid markup. But only so many go to each dealer which just means you are waiting longer to receive one. Not ideal either.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
I guess it depends how quick someone wants their vehicle. Yes you can switch dealers to avoid markup. But only so many go to each dealer which just means you are waiting longer to receive one. Not ideal either.

The allocation does not belong to the dealer. If you are up to order you are up to order. It goes to whatever dealer you choose.

Where Ford screwed up was letting dealers have to option to prioritize customers. Which only a handful of dealers used.

The allocation does not belong to the dealer. If you are up to order you are up to order. It goes to whatever dealer you choose.

Where Ford screwed up was letting dealers have to option to prioritize customers. Which only a handful of dealers used.

It seems dealer allocations are driven by more than just simply reservations.

For example:

“For dealers in states that have more relaxed laws, that means they could be allocated as few as 3 units for the year, even if they have more than 100 customers who have made a reservation.”

Some interesting stories here.

Last edited:
Kyle with Out of Spec gives a good overview and drive of the Lightning:

That Pro is actually listed as 56k with its options . I like the lightning and may pick one up in a couple years when things settle down but I couldn't see getting a 230 mile range truck unless I had no intention to use it as a truck.

This gives a quick comparison of the cars, same one Kyle was looking at.