Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F/S 2014 Model S 85 - $47,000 OBO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery in Sept. 2014 and am scheduled for Delivery of 2017 100D in June.

I received a trade-in quote from Tesla but want to see I I can do a little better via private sale even considering sale tax benefit for trade-ins.

Features: 85kWh battery, RWD, black paint, black interior. Panorama roof, 19" base Wheels, 19" Michelin Primacy Tires, piano black accents, Tech Package, Standard Suspension, Fog lamps, Parking Sensors, Parcel Shelf, Free Supercharging for Life, Single Onboard Charger. No Autopilot.

Installed AbstractOcean LED replacement lighting in Frunk and Trunk for improved visibility.

90% charge is 230 miles.

Mileage: ~78,000

Excellent Condition, 1 Owner, Garaged when not driven. Located in Fairfield County, Connecticut.

2017-01-06%2012.10.10.jpg

2017-01-06%2012.09.53.jpg

2017-01-06%2012.09.43.jpg

2017-01-06%2010.54.43.jpg

2017-01-06%2010.54.21.jpg

2017-01-06%2010.53.38.jpg

2017-01-06%2012.06.29.png

Reactions: ceejaex
This is a 2013 with 78K miles and you're asking 47K or best offer. How is this a better car than a $35K 2017 Model 3 with 0 miles?

I suppose if you are considering a Model 3 it is a fair question.

But first I need to point out that my car is a 2014 not a 2013 as there have been many changes from the initial Model S to mine, which was delivered in Sept, 2014 including:
  • a change in the battery pack. Initial vehicles came with an A-Pack battery which was limited to supercharging at 90kW, while my car has a D-Pack capable of the full 120kW.
  • Fold mirrors
  • Parking sensors
  • Improved fit and finish
As for why a Model S with 78k miles v a new Model 3 with 0 miles? I can try to answer but admittedly much of my response will include speculation as the details specifications and option pricing of the Model 3 hasn't yet been released.
  • Range - Model 3 base is expected to have 215 miles of rated range - My car has 256.
  • Supercharging - Model 3 may come with 400kWh/yr included - My car has free unlimited usage for life.
  • A smaller battery in Model 3 will likely mean earlier tapering and therefore more time needed at the supercharger
  • Cost to get comparable range will likely be ~$10k. 75D starts at $74.5k with a range of 259 miles while the 90D starts at $87.5k and has a range of 294 miles. Performance also improves. Point being $35k is just base of Model 3.
  • My car already has a Pano roof, parking sensors, folding mirrors, presenting door handles, and an enormous Frunk (which is now much smaller in newer Model S vehicles. These features will either cost more or will not be available in Model 3.
  • Model 3 is perhaps comparable to a BMW 3-series in size while the Model S is more like a 5 or 7 series. The longer and wider wheelbase provides a very stable and comfortable ride.
  • Model 3 is scheduled for delivery in July to Tesla employees first. This is strategic to allow for changes to be made and issues to be resolved without major fallout.
If you don't want to wait until likely 2018 or 2019 if you haven't already reserved a Model 3, you can drive a Model S now for probably less, with more room and likely perhaps better handling while enjoying free unlimited supercharging for life.

78k miles may seem like a lot in an ICE vehicle, but a Tesla comes with an 8yr/unlimited mile warranty on the motor and battery. This warranty ends in 2022.

Let me know if anyone has an interest. If not, I will simply trade in when I pick up my new 100D.

I suppose if you are considering a Model 3 it is a fair question.

But first I need to point out that my car is a 2014 not a 2013 as there have been many changes from the initial Model S to mine, which was delivered in Sept, 2014 including:
  • a change in the battery pack. Initial vehicles came with an A-Pack battery which was limited to supercharging at 90kW, while my car has a D-Pack capable of the full 120kW.
  • Fold mirrors
  • Parking sensors
  • Improved fit and finish
As for why a Model S with 78k miles v a new Model 3 with 0 miles? I can try to answer but admittedly much of my response will include speculation as the details specifications and option pricing of the Model 3 hasn't yet been released.
  • Range - Model 3 base is expected to have 215 miles of rated range - My car has 256.
  • Supercharging - Model 3 may come with 400kWh/yr included - My car has free unlimited usage for life.
  • A smaller battery in Model 3 will likely mean earlier tapering and therefore more time needed at the supercharger
  • Cost to get comparable range will likely be ~$10k. 75D starts at $74.5k with a range of 259 miles while the 90D starts at $87.5k and has a range of 294 miles. Performance also improves. Point being $35k is just base of Model 3.
  • My car already has a Pano roof, parking sensors, folding mirrors, presenting door handles, and an enormous Frunk (which is now much smaller in newer Model S vehicles. These features will either cost more or will not be available in Model 3.
  • Model 3 is perhaps comparable to a BMW 3-series in size while the Model S is more like a 5 or 7 series. The longer and wider wheelbase provides a very stable and comfortable ride.
  • Model 3 is scheduled for delivery in July to Tesla employees first. This is strategic to allow for changes to be made and issues to be resolved without major fallout.
If you don't want to wait until likely 2018 or 2019 if you haven't already reserved a Model 3, you can drive a Model S now for probably less, with more room and likely perhaps better handling while enjoying free unlimited supercharging for life.

78k miles may seem like a lot in an ICE vehicle, but a Tesla comes with an 8yr/unlimited mile warranty on the motor and battery. This warranty ends in 2022.

Let me know if anyone has an interest. If not, I will simply trade in when I pick up my new 100D.
Well stated!