Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F1 goes electric (partially anyway)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly from the description it sounds overly complicated.
“It will have one fan generating electricity to super-charge the engine, another fan to recover energy from the exhausts which will recharge a battery and then be usable,” he said.
Seems it would be simpler pure EV and without all those conversion losses, but I guess ICE in general is complicated and lossy. A step in the right direction.

I was wondering how much the battery weighs that supplies the 6.6 seconds of KERS energy at the moment. 1kg? That whole 6.6 second thing is total arbitrary. It should just run like a normal hybrid with no restrictions on bhp. Then the teams could decide whether they wanted to make serious investment into new chemistries or higher bhp motors, etc.

The KERS system on an F1 car currently runs to between 65-70lbs or approximately 30kg; that's a big deal on an F1 race car. There's a good technical explanation here: Formula One KERS explained

The FIA is discussing an all electric Grands Prix series, but I'm not sure that there are EV's which can maintain top speeds for a serious distance race lasting a couple of hours. Would be interesting if there could be pitstops where batteries are replaced rather than refueling.

I was wondering how much the battery weighs that supplies the 6.6 seconds of KERS energy at the moment. 1kg? That whole 6.6 second thing is total arbitrary. It should just run like a normal hybrid with no restrictions on bhp. Then the teams could decide whether they wanted to make serious investment into new chemistries or higher bhp motors, etc.

Absolutely!

The FIA is discussing an all electric Grands Prix series, but I'm not sure that there are EV's which can maintain top speeds for a serious distance race lasting a couple of hours. Would be interesting if there could be pitstops where batteries are replaced rather than refueling.

Or quick charged if they could develop it. I'm hoping the FIA follows through with the EV Grands prix but I think they may unfortunately have to allow for another gimmick in the regulations to get a large interest (e.g. Chaparral 2j like designs). Otherwise it will take a few years of development to get EV racing interesting enough for the masses IMO. EV technology is a long shot away from being able to compete on the F1 scale for both speed and endurance.

I guess these guys really like their engine noise.
Walker says that powerful, noisy engines are a key part of the appeal of F1. He says the sound of the smaller engine “would be like a tin can rattling”.
“We are not going to have our customer base destroyed. I told them that the circuits would not run it. The sound is part of the brand,” he said.
Maybe they could just play really loud music during the races like Top Gear did to compensate for the sound of their MR2 based fake Ferraris.