TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

F1 goes electric (partially anyway)

Discussion in 'News' started by NigelM, Apr 20, 2011.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

2. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Heading in the right direction; it's going to stretch the tech in race conditions. It's all good.

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Honestly from the description it sounds overly complicated.
    Seems it would be simpler pure EV and without all those conversion losses, but I guess ICE in general is complicated and lossy. A step in the right direction.

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I was wondering how much the battery weighs that supplies the 6.6 seconds of KERS energy at the moment. 1kg? That whole 6.6 second thing is total arbitrary. It should just run like a normal hybrid with no restrictions on bhp. Then the teams could decide whether they wanted to make serious investment into new chemistries or higher bhp motors, etc.

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

The KERS system on an F1 car currently runs to between 65-70lbs or approximately 30kg; that's a big deal on an F1 race car. There's a good technical explanation here: Formula One KERS explained

The FIA is discussing an all electric Grands Prix series, but I'm not sure that there are EV's which can maintain top speeds for a serious distance race lasting a couple of hours. Would be interesting if there could be pitstops where batteries are replaced rather than refueling.

6. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Absolutely!

7. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Yes, I know the whole system weighs that much but supplying 50 kW for 6 seconds, the battery is a tiny part of it.

8. elirentz

elirentz Member

Or quick charged if they could develop it. I'm hoping the FIA follows through with the EV Grands prix but I think they may unfortunately have to allow for another gimmick in the regulations to get a large interest (e.g. Chaparral 2j like designs). Otherwise it will take a few years of development to get EV racing interesting enough for the masses IMO. EV technology is a long shot away from being able to compete on the F1 scale for both speed and endurance.

9. Banzai

Banzai Model S sig #429 EU

10. elirentz

elirentz Member

Wow interesting. I wish they had some more info 20-25 mins of run time for 1-1.5 hrs of charge isn't bad.

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

"It equals the performance of its prestigious cousin, the Formula 3, and its combustion engine." Achieving a competitive race car in Formula 3, GP2 and eventually Formula 1 starts to look realistic within a reasonable timeframe... Cool!

12. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I guess these guys really like their engine noise.
    Maybe they could just play really loud music during the races like Top Gear did to compensate for the sound of their MR2 based fake Ferraris.

13. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

It's the death throws of the dinosaurs. F1 had 1.5l turbos in the early 80s. Didn't see empty grandstands then.