Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F150 Lightning truck 131kWh battery for $52k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried looking for the article I read. Closest one I found was this this Anyway, even if you're a retail customer the 131kwh batter truck costs in the mid 70Ks. While that seems like a lot of battery for the money than what Tesla offers the L is also way less efficient. .4 kwh/mile vs .250ish for Tesla, and those are both not real world numbers. Increase energy by at least 20% based on rough numbers I've experienced. That puts the L near 80% the cost of gas for a similar gas vehicle if you're in Ca where electricity isn't cheap

I’ve read that they’re selling each of these (and the Mach-E) at a loss. And to your point, they’re selling a lot of battery with their Lightnings for relatively low prices.

Last year Ford had stated that the F150 Lighting is margin positive. They never said how positive through. However with the recent run up in materials cost, I can’t see how they are making a profit.

Good news is they sell nearly a million ICE trucks a year, which are incredibly profitable. So they won’t be hurting too much.

Reactions: El joe
Ford CEO has stated the first generation of electric vehicles will not be profitable.

Though Ford is currently embarking on a major electrification pivot, the automaker isn’t planning on ditching ICE-powered vehicles just yet. In fact, Ford’s EV plan is currently focused on its “icons” and commercial vehicles, as well as vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of under 8,500 pounds. That excludes the Ford Super Duty, and as Kumar Galhotra, Ford Blue president, told Ford Authority back in November of 2020, the automaker had no plans to build an all-electric version of that particular model at that time. However, it seems that nothing has changed on that front either, as Ford CEO Jim Farley confirmed during the automaker’s recent Q1 earnings call with investors.

“I just want to say, on the Super Duty, obviously that’s a quarter of our profitability as a company globally. And when we look at the customer usage, we just don’t feel at this point that an electric solution is going to be ideal for most of those customers,” Farley said. “So our vehicles, plural, will be really focused on light-duty and the lower end of Super Duty for sure, but not F-250, F-350, F-450. That’s a whole different ball of wax. They require a lot of payload, heavy batteries. That doesn’t make sense.”
These comments jive with what Farley said about the company’s EV plans back in March – “The one thing that people need to understand is that a lot of our ICE products, those segments are not served well with electrical vehicles. If you have a Super Duty and you’re pulling a horse trailer in Montana, an electrical vehicle isn’t an ideal solution.” Regardless, Ford does plan on eventually transitioning to an all-electric lineup in North America, though that seemingly won’t happen until battery technology has advanced to the point where such a move is feasible.

As a recent study found, truck buyers are more receptive to the idea of EV pickups than ever, and Ford expects that 30 percent of full-size truck sales will consist of all-electric models by 2030, with mass adoption following just a few years later. Farley also recently confirmed that Ford is developing a second EV pickup, and admitted that the automaker’s first generation of electric offerings won’t be profitable.
We’ll have more on the Super Duty soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford F-Series news, Ford Super Duty news, and around-the-clock Ford news coverage.

Reactions: DrChaos and El joe
Last year Ford had stated that the F150 Lighting is margin positive. They never said how positive through. However with the recent run up in materials cost, I can’t see how they are making a profit.

Good news is they sell nearly a million ICE trucks a year, which are incredibly profitable. So they won’t be hurting too much.
Perhaps you’re right. I’m not sure if they’d ever admit they were losing money unless/until they raise the price. We’ll probably see when they open up reservations on the 2023 models.

I imagine the Lariat and the Platinum may be margin positive, but can’t see it with the Pro and XLT. I mean, I’m getting an XLT with a small battery in a few weeks for less than a Dual Motor LR Model 3. With the amount of materials and battery that come with that much vehicle, it seems like a stretch for them to make money on it.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
A large amount of components are shared with the regular F150 so that drives down the development and production cost due to massive economies of scale. Ford sells 2-3x more F150s alone than Tesla does across their whole lineup in the US.

Ford claims the F150 Lightning program is cash positive (who knows how true that is or by how much) but that doesn’t mean each model is profitable. They may be losing some profit on the Pro and Pro Extended Range, but the profit of the consumer versions help subsidize that.

per a google search:
According to iseecars.com, the Ford F-150 upheld its mantle as the No. 1 vehicle in America with a reported 726,004 units sold out of dealerships in 2021. Coming in second was the Dodge Ram 1500 with 569,388 units sold, and the Chevrolet Silverado coming in third with 519,774 sold.Jan 14, 2022

per a google search:
According to iseecars.com, the Ford F-150 upheld its mantle as the No. 1 vehicle in America with a reported 726,004 units sold out of dealerships in 2021. Coming in second was the Dodge Ram 1500 with 569,388 units sold, and the Chevrolet Silverado coming in third with 519,774 sold.Jan 14, 2022

Pre pandemic they were producing around 900k per year. Sure the supply constraints have held back production. I was also talking about all F Series trucks, not just the F150.

per a google search:
A decade ago I remember pickups offered 40% margins to manufacturers. I just googled it now and it looks like that figure remains at least that and it’s 50% on the F 150. It’s really amazing.

Reactions: Brando and DrChaos