Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F150

Verynoice

Dec 12, 2017
Baltimore
I have a reservation for the Cybertruck, but today I put in a reservation for the Ford F150. I’m tired of the amateur management at Tesla, tired of the unfulfilled self-driving software. I won’t sell my Model S, but I don’t think I want to buy the Cybertruck anymore, I just want an electric truck and the Ford looks like a more sensible option.

Ford will deliver a workable truck on day one, not sure the Cybertruck will and I feel Tesla lost the headwind with so many viable options coming out this year and next. I like the features the designers included on the F150, such as a power frunk, multiple outlets, including a 20 amp that I could use to charge my Tesla if I had to… Plus, Ford has the ability to mass produce vehicles, so there is the possibility of getting a truck late this year or early next year. Not sure Tesla will be able to crank out volume to put a dent in the existing reservations, so who knows when I might actually see the Cybertruck. Then there are the aftermarket options for a regular truck shape versus the Cybertruck.

Anyone else feel this way?

Randy Spencer

Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
I want the CyberTruck, I don't want a pickup truck. I am more of a van guy. I have had VW Microbuss and Dodge Sprinters. If I cannot get a Tesla mini-van I guess a two row six seater will do. One that won't need a paint job in 20 years? Yes please. One that won't get a star in the windshield on the first road trip of it's life? Yes please.

But if it's taking the place of a Sprinter I want to be able to sleep in it. I cannot sleep across so I will need to fold seats down and sleep in the vault, but it is still not clear if this is going to be a feature. If not I might as well get an X with 5 seats and fold them down to make a bed to camp in. Not great for moving 4x8 lumber, but it can tow a trailer that is.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
...tired of the unfulfilled self-driving software....
What's the difference because Ford doesn't sell full self driving either. Your F-150 will never be autonomous no matter how many over-the-air updates it will get.

Ford will deliver a workable truck on day one...
It's true that Ford is clearer on its website that it allows sharing power from its truck for worksite and whole-house backup.

Not sure if Tesla will achieve that parity.

, not sure the Cybertruck will and I feel Tesla lost the headwind with so many viable options coming out this year and next. I like the features the designers included on the F150, such as a power frunk, multiple outlets, including a 20 amp that I could use to charge my Tesla if I had to… .

...Plus, Ford has the ability to mass produce vehicles, so there is the possibility of getting a truck late this year or early next year...
It's unknown when the global chip shortage will be over so I wouldn't count on the production timeline for now.

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
Yup. Anyone can buy a F150 right now. They've been around for decades. I'm not interested in a F150. I want a CyberTruck.

I want the CyberTruck, I don't want a pickup truck. I am more of a van guy. I have had VW Microbuss and Dodge Sprinters. If I cannot get a Tesla mini-van I guess a two row six seater will do. One that won't need a paint job in 20 years? Yes please. One that won't get a star in the windshield on the first road trip of it's life? Yes please.

But if it's taking the place of a Sprinter I want to be able to sleep in it. I cannot sleep across so I will need to fold seats down and sleep in the vault, but it is still not clear if this is going to be a feature. If not I might as well get an X with 5 seats and fold them down to make a bed to camp in. Not great for moving 4x8 lumber, but it can tow a trailer that is.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
Just like Ford will never deliver an Electric vehicle Am I Right?

Please read what I wrote again. You misread what I said.

If you paid fully ONCE for a gasoline F-150, that gasoline car will never become an electric F-150 Lightning no matter how many software updates that gasoline truck will get. That means if you paid once for a gasoline vehicle, you'll have to pay a second time for an electric vehicle.

2 separate payments. 2 separate times.

It's the same that if you fully paid for F-150 Lightning BlueCruise, that price is not for a full autonomous feature ever.

In the future. F-150 Lightning might come out with an autonomous feature but it won't be called "BlueCruise" and its hardware/software will most likely significantly different.

That's because BlueCruise is based on MobilEye. MobilEye believes Autonomous can only be achieved with the addition of RADAR and LIDAR (BlueCruise is lacking LIDAR and computational power for that).

So, it's not about predicting that Ford will never be able to make another truck with the autonomous feature. I think it will but you'll have to pay twice: One for the current feature of BlueCruise. And second payment for another vehicle equipped with the addition of LIDAR and adequate computing power.

It's technically possible to retrofit the current F-150 with LIDAR and more powerful computer just like it's possible to modify a gasoline F-150 to an electric one, but it's not just feasible.

Tesla, on the other hand, said that once you paid fully once for your FSD, you'll get FSD with subsequent software upgrades.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC