Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Face / Eye / Attention tracking during autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere but I am unable to locate the thread. About one or 2 updates ago, I have noticed consistently that it seems when the car thinks I am not looking forward while in autopilot I get an aggressive BEEP and notification to put hands on the wheel. This BEEP precedes the typical blue flashing on the screen if it was just looking for pressure on the wheel. After I noticed it the first few times, I did some testing, ie; holding my phone, looking down pretending to text etc., and it is very consistent. It appears attention is being monitored. Has this been confirmed to be the case? Is this old news? If there is a thread already about this, feel free to drop a link I am interested in learning more. Thanks-

I had heard that they had finally started using the interior camera for monitoring the driver. I had hoped this would stop me needing to apply constant torque on the wheel using AP but that doesn't appear to be the case yet. I have also noticed I am getting a lot of annoying beeps since the last update. I'll try to see if it is this although generally I am looking at the road when they happen so I don't see what it said on the display. Hopefully someone else can chime in as well!

From May this year.
Tesla starts using in-car camera for Autopilot driver monitoring

And earlier this month.
Tesla’s camera-based driver monitoring system exists; pretending it doesn’t makes roads less safe

From the latter article.
Tesla’s Release Notes for its camera-based driver monitoring function describes how the function works. “The cabin camera above your rearview mirror can now detect and alert driver inattentiveness while Autopilot is engaged. Camera data does not leave the car itself, which means the system cannot save or transmit information unless data sharing is enabled,” Tesla noted in its Release Notes.

Last edited:
Has this been confirmed to be the case? Is this old news?

meh im not seeing this or im not fooling it right.

i used it this morning and put my hand up in front of that lens and i did nt see or hear anything different. from what i see the faster i go the more nags i get on screen because i can go at a slower speed and get less screen nags. this is my experience.

meh im not seeing this or im not fooling it right.

i used it this morning and put my hand up in front of that lens and i did nt see or hear anything different. from what i see the faster i go the more nags i get on screen because i can go at a slower speed and get less screen nags. this is my experience.

Probably depends on what year your car is. The only reports I have seen of this camera being on are in vision only cars. Yours probably is older than that, so its likely not active.

My understanding is as follows:

The camera is on for vision-only cars.
The camera is on for cars running FSD Beta even if they physically have radar (since it'd running the vision only code on those cars)

if you have a non-beta radar car it's not being actively used yet

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Yes, the difference is dramatic. If your eyes are on the road it now lets you drive hands-free much longer before the gray warning box (silently) pops up.
But if you're not looking, it will popup the gray box very soon, with red hands shown in the graphic and an accompanying beep.

It's easy to test on the road, just lean in toward the center display so that you can watch the road without the camera watching you and it'll get nervous real quick. It can also detect cell phones but I haven't been able to determine any difference between cell phone use and other eye contact losses.

All this stuff goes down on your permanent record by the way, so don't play too much or Tesla will come take your car away and crush it right in front of you like GM sometimes does.

Annotation 2021-10-29 125329.png

Yes, the difference is dramatic. If your eyes are on the road it now lets you drive hands-free much longer before the gray warning box (silently) pops up.
But if you're not looking, it will popup the gray box very soon, with red hands shown in the graphic and an accompanying beep.

It's easy to test on the road, just lean in toward the center display so that you can watch the road without the camera watching you and it'll get nervous real quick. It can also detect cell phones but I haven't been able to determine any difference between cell phone use and other eye contact losses.

All this stuff goes down on your permanent record by the way, so don't play too much or Tesla will come take your car away and crush it right in front of you like GM sometimes does.

View attachment 727227
Thats the video I watched too lol