Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Facelift by myself led to threat of warranty loss [Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to get you to post photos of the modification you made!
60df248d1e9e.jpg

I don't get it))) My Tesla looked like lower one, and now it is like upper)) Or as on my picture before) With grill, bumper from facelifted Tesla and 2 cm of metal weld to original frunk!

Last edited:
Reactions: M4guy
Ok, so you went from a nosecone to a new style. I’d say it looks good as we were all having trouble seeing what changed. If that is all you did, I can’t see you causing any of the problems and Tesla should cover u dear warranty.

[QUOTE="Shatunishko, post: 3291810,
I don't get it)))

My Tesla looked like lower one, and now it is like upper)) Or as on my picture before) With grill, bumper from facelifted Tesla and 2 cm of metal weld to original frunk![/QUOTE]
2 cm of metal weld to original frunk!

That's what we want a photo of.

How was the "conversion" from old nosecone to new nosecone done? By whom? (Sorry you said by yourself) How did you get the parts? From whom?
What welding was done? Show us the weld. Inside the frunk?

Do you know someone fluent in Russian / English who can translate your intentions? I think something is lost in translation.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: xyeahtony
You assume his facelift modification causes the electrical issue? Even Tesla is still investigating!!

"This Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty applies to Tesla branded Parts purchased directly from Tesla over-the-counter, online or purchased and installed by Tesla Service or Tesla Body Shops. Subject to the exclusions and limitations described below, this Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to remedy any “failures” that are determined by Tesla to have occurred under normal use of Tesla-manufactured Parts that are approved or branded by Tesla and purchased directly from Tesla."

This is just a small section of the warranty from Tesla... I'd recommend reading it.

It would seem that your work had nothing to do with the problem the car is having. Assuming that is true, Tesla needs to cover the work under warranty, period.

Unless the welding was actually brazing, it used an arc, mig, or tig torch which is electric and, if not done properly, could damage the vehicles electrical (and mechanical) systems.

How was the "conversion" from old nosecone to new nosecone done? By whom? (Sorry you said by yourself) How did you get the parts? From whom?
What welding was done? Show us the weld. Inside the frunk?

Do you know someone fluent in Russian / English who can translate your intentions? I think something is lost in translation.
I'm rather fluent in English)) But I still didn't rapidly get what you are talking about.
Of course, it was made by non-authorised service, cause we don't have it in here. Somehow they got details, I even don't know. And don't have pictures of weld cause it seems to be the least important thing the Service worries about(and me either).

"This Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty applies to Tesla branded Parts purchased directly from Tesla over-the-counter, online or purchased and installed by Tesla Service or Tesla Body Shops. Subject to the exclusions and limitations described below, this Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to remedy any “failures” that are determined by Tesla to have occurred under normal use of Tesla-manufactured Parts that are approved or branded by Tesla and purchased directly from Tesla."

This is just a small section of the warranty from Tesla... I'd recommend reading it.

Okay, I don't need the warranty to be applied on my "new" bumper purchased and installed not by Tesla Service) I have no problems with that

It would seem that your work had nothing to do with the problem the car is having. Assuming that is true, Tesla needs to cover the work under warranty, period.

Thank you very much! I assume this either.

Unless the welding was actually brazing, it used an arc, mig, or tig torch which is electric and, if not done properly, could damage the vehicles electrical (and mechanical) systems.

C'mon nobody would do that on 150k car without taking it off. And somehow after that actions I made 15k kilometres and 6 months car lived after this intrusion.

• Informative
Reactions: Vitold
C'mon nobody would do that on 150k car without taking it off. And somehow after that actions I made 15k kilometres and 6 months car lived after this intrusion.

Do what? All I know is that welding took place, did I miss a photo of the modification?
Electrical damage can be latent and only cause a fault later. On another level, sparks (or other events) could have damaged a wire harness which then corroded in the elements and flexed till it broke.

I hope your issue gets resolved soon. As also a non core market owner from Turkey I feel you. However I’m surprised because I thought Moscow tesla club could fix it right there? Or you just didn’t want to work with them because you wanted to exercise warranty?

• Love
Reactions: Shatunishko
I don’t know why you are getting so much grief for this. It is extremely unlikely your bumper conversion, even with the welding, damaged the HV system.

Fortunately it doesn’t sound like Tesla has ruled that way yet either, I think all you can do at this point is wait and see what they decide. If they decide against honoring the warranty then you can start your fight based on the information they give you. Good luck with this, I’d be shocked if they decide not to honor it unless they come back with actual proof that you actually did something to damage the system in question. Tesla’s service is awful, but it isn’t intentionally awful. Their breakdown is with follow through, timeliness, and communication. They always seem to try to do the right thing.

So the question is do they have rights to do this? Car didn't have any serious accidents either registered or in real...
Thanks in advance

Only if they show your modification resulted in the specific failure in question. Regardless, they can't void your warranty. They can only deny specific fixes under warranty and only if they can prove you caused the failure with your mod.

The Federal Law is the Magnus-Moss Warranty Act that places the burden of proof on the manufacturer to establish that your modification caused the product failure to which you claim a warranty

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act has no bearing on this situation as Russia doesn't have to follow US laws. That said, it sure seems like Tesla should cover this.

I hope your issue gets resolved soon. As also a non core market owner from Turkey I feel you. However I’m surprised because I thought Moscow tesla club could fix it right there? Or you just didn’t want to work with them because you wanted to exercise warranty?
They could. By I wanted to remain warranty, that's all. Thank you!

I don’t know why you are getting so much grief for this. It is extremely unlikely your bumper conversion, even with the welding, damaged the HV system.

Fortunately it doesn’t sound like Tesla has ruled that way yet either, I think all you can do at this point is wait and see what they decide. If they decide against honoring the warranty then you can start your fight based on the information they give you. Good luck with this, I’d be shocked if they decide not to honor it unless they come back with actual proof that you actually did something to damage the system in question. Tesla’s service is awful, but it isn’t intentionally awful. Their breakdown is with follow through, timeliness, and communication. They always seem to try to do the right thing.

I hope that that is true :rolleyes:

Where did you buy the Tesla? Europe? Where is the vehicle now? Normally warranties are based on where vehicle is purchased... not where it’s currently being driven.

Tesla European Warranty Region is defined as including the Member States of the European Economic Area, Monaco, San Marino, and Switzerland, provided that you return to the applicable region or country in which the vehicle was originally purchased from Tesla in order to receive warranty service. For example, a customer purchasing a vehicle from Tesla in the European Economic Area must return to the European Economic Area in order to obtain warranty service, and customers purchasing vehicles from Tesla in Monaco, San Marino, and Switzerland must return to the respective country to obtain warranty service (e.g. a customer who purchased a vehicle from Tesla in Switzerland must return to Switzerland). Any subsequent purchaser or transferee must return to the applicable region or country in which the vehicle was originally purchased from Tesla in order to obtain warranty service, regardless of the country in which such purchaser or transferee may have purchased the vehicle.