Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Facelift by myself led to threat of warranty loss [Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys!
I've got a problem losing my warranty due to doing partial facelift on my Model S.
I've changed front bumper, grill and made frunk longer a bit.
Now on 25k mileage my car just blacked out, diagnostics say the problem is isolation of high voltage system. So the matter may be the front engine.
Now it is in service and they are telling me that they are investigating whether my "facelift" will lead to losing my warranty(full warranty expires in 3 months).
So the question is do they have rights to do this? Car didn't have any serious accidents either registered or in real...
Thanks in advance

I don't know if it is the same under Russian law, but in the United States, IF your modifications caused the problem AND they can prove that, then yes, they can void the warranty. Otherwise, they still need to cover it.
Thank you! But I think it's a matter of Tesla's warranty, not country laws...
Here in Russia we don't even have an official service, so my car and I made over 1kk kilometers in the train to hear these news about warranty.
In my opinion, I couldn't do anything bad to my engine just changing the bumper.

You say the car didn’t have any serious accidents. This implies that the vehicle was involved in at least one accident, with the term “serious” being subjective. So, exactly what accident(s) has the car been in to help determine whether this could have contributed to the car failure? Was the facelift performed due to a frontal accident?

You also need to know the laws in the country the vehicle was sold in/serviced to help determine what Tesla can and can’t do with respect to voiding the warranty.

Reactions: GreenT
You say the car didn’t have any serious accidents. This implies that the vehicle was involved in at least one accident, with the term “serious” being subjective. So, exactly what accident(s) has the car been in to help determine whether this could have contributed to the car failure? Was the facelift performed due to a frontal accident?

You also need to know the laws in the country the vehicle was sold in/serviced to help determine what Tesla can and can’t do with respect to voiding the warranty.

There were parking accidents with scratches and one with broken binding of bumper. That couldn't lead to these kind of failures after 6 months and 15k kilometeres since facelifting.

What exactly did that entail?

Adding 2 cm of metal to frunk, just to let it be over the logo.

His location is listed as Russia, English may not be his native language. Engine and Motor could loose something in translation.

Yeap, that's right. Just confused words.

This sounds particularly lame. United States law puts the burden on denying warranty claim on the manufacturer. Outside of the US, the plain language of the warranty does state that Tesla may refuse repair but there are not specified procedures.

Thank you! But I think it's a matter of Tesla's warranty, not country laws...
Here in Russia we don't even have an official service, so my car and I made over 1kk kilometers in the train to hear these news about warranty.
In my opinion, I couldn't do anything bad to my engine just changing the bumper.
Where was your Tesla sold and where is it serviced? The law of that country will determine the situation with regard to your warranty. To refuse a warranty claim, the manufacturer would normally need to demonstrate that the midifications have caused the problem.

Tesla will examine your car. If your modifications were responsible for the failure, you will be responsible for any repairs.

If your modifications had nothing to do with the failure, then they will most likely cover your repairs under warranty.

Hope they are feeling the Christmas Spirit :)

You can't modify a vehicle and then expect the company to repair the issue and/or a related issue to the modified component installed... no manufacturer does that. Another thread talks about warranty issues with rear tint... if you install tint over the defroster and it damages the heating elements then don't expect Tesla to repair it... simple. Can't hurt to try... but don't have a hurt butt if doesn't work out for you.

Reactions: Evil Twin
It would really help if you could add photos so we can SEE what you're talking about???
photos of my facelift? Here it is, mine facelifted and dad's original
7c7b86b76dff.jpg

Tesla will examine your car. If your modifications were responsible for the failure, you will be responsible for any repairs.

If your modifications had nothing to do with the failure, then they will most likely cover your repairs under warranty.

Hope they are feeling the Christmas Spirit :)

I hope!!

You can't modify a vehicle and then expect the company to repair the issue and/or a related issue to the modified component installed... no manufacturer does that. Another thread talks about warranty issues with rear tint... if you install tint over the defroster and it damages the heating elements then don't expect Tesla to repair it... simple. Can't hurt to try... but don't have a hurt butt if doesn't work out for you.

Yes, that's right. If I'd modified motor and had it broken - that's ok. But I took off one Tesla bumper and than installed another Tesla bumper

Reactions: M4guy and GSP
What?

You typed: "I've changed front bumper, grill and made frunk longer a bit. "

Now you claim the only difference is the headlights?????????

How can different headlights make the frunk longer?

Sorry, there is some misunderstanding. First I thought you were wondering how my facelifting looks like

It would really help if you could add photos so we can SEE what you're talking about???
Then you didn't understand where is my father's car and where is mine, and I told you that the difference between these cars is only headlight.
Which is which? What are we looking for? I see no difference.
Correct me if I am wrong