Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Facelift Center Console Wireless Charging Modification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a video where the center console flipping phone charger is modified to house a wireless Qi charger, and while it was a great idea, I have all the time disliked the position of the phone in the standard charging area, as seeing screen or operating the phone is virtually impossible.

Then I searched for Qi enabled charger stations which could be nicely embedded elsewhere in the cabin. These are all ugly bolt-on solutions, I'm afraid.

Then I stumbled upon this (not a paid ad, I paid full price): For Tesla Model S Facelift 2017 2018 Car Armrest Box Central Secondary Storage Tray Holder Container Organizer Stowing Tidying-in Stowing Tidying from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Immediately I thought that I could embed a 1.50$ Qi module underneath it. There are so many modules available that I don't think a link is needed (and the one I bought is less effective).

Works perfectly. I tested the concept by taping the Qi module under the tray, and it works, no other modifications needed. But I decided to ensure optimal transfer of power and drilled a 53 mm hole to the tray below Samsung charging spot, and glued + taped the Qi coil in the hole.

Result: wireless charging works and the module is flush under the rubber mat. The rubber mat and tray edges also hold phone in place in all normal daily, even slightly hmmm...sporty, use of the car. I can also see and operate the screen enough to use it as a 3rd screen for Waze, although the angle is not quite optimal. Also the Qi module I bought is not powerful enough to keep charge if Waze is on. The best part for me is that modifying the cheap tray does not hurt your precious Tesla OEM parts.

Anyway, easily a modification worth 25$.

20180104_114638.jpg 20180104_114653.jpg

I used this one. I believe you can find better ones (look for the most sold currently in the category), and plenty of identical products.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Universal-QI-Wireless-Charging-Receiver-Charger-Module-For-Micro-USB-Cell-Phone-LJJ0118/32791375793.htm

53mm (2 inch) hole was exactly right. Any drill bit will go through the plastic, just don’t melt it too much. I actually used ceramic one meant for bricks or stone material as that was the only right size one available... not very professional but this was a test and the hole is hidden under the rubber mat anyway.

You may want to measure precisely and make a pilot hole to verify position.

Also, plan and try the usb wire routing before committing.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbhforum
Do you have issues with your phone moving around and not charging? I have read reviews from other wireless charging products that people have complained about this.
Yes I did if driving was more sporty than normal, but it would be easy to modify so that there is a good cradle for the phone to hold it down.

I’m no longer using this as I don’t need the screen for waze.

Yes I did if driving was more sporty than normal, but it would be easy to modify so that there is a good cradle for the phone to hold it down.

I’m no longer using this as I don’t need the screen for waze.
Do you have issues with your phone moving around and not charging? I have read reviews from other wireless charging products that people have complained about this.

Try this one, it works fine with my iPhone even with the case on... US $11.09 27% OFF|Car Qi Wireless Charger Phone Holder Storage Box Tray for IPhone Samsung Console Tray Armrest Storage Box for Tesla Model X/S-in Wireless Chargers from Cellphones & Telecommunications on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Tried to order it but hasn’t shipped. Anyone else have any luck with a wireless charger?
Aliexpress is cheap but most vendors are very slow, also the shipping can take 5 weeks from China to Europe.

Anyone who finds this thread now: building this DIY is no longer worth it as the Chinese copied the idea (obviously :cool:), and prices of the off the shelf products have come down a lot.

Reactions: Jimmy 1 and Reekdog
Aliexpress is cheap but most vendors are very slow, also the shipping can take 5 weeks from China to Europe.

Anyone who finds this thread now: building this DIY is no longer worth it as the Chinese copied the idea (obviously :cool:), and prices of the off the shelf products have come down a lot.
I'm curious, are you aware of one of these inserts that features cup holders (and an already integrated wireless charger)?

I have these options in Canada: https://www.amazon.ca/FOONEE-Wirele...r+for+Model+S&qid=1566481913&s=gateway&sr=8-1

But it seems to be either/or. Either you get the cup holders or you get the wireless charger (absent doing a DIY, which I do not want to do). So, what I am looking for is this kind of insert, wtih cup holders and a wireless charger already integrated from the manufacturer.