Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Facelift S - Cabin Air Filter with/without HEPA Filter

cucubits

May 17, 2019
TX
For the life of me I can't find a clear answer on this and I'd like to know before I start digging through the car.

I'm trying to figure out if an S that comes with the big filter (bioweapon defense mode) does also have a smaller cabin air filter?

If it does, can I just order replacements from Tesla for both? How much is the cabin filter and the big hepa filter? Also, it can be found behind the glove box from the cabin or from the frunk?

If it doesn't and the big one is the only filter, how often is it recommended to be changed out? I'm starting to notice a damp smell when turning on the AC for the first few seconds and wonder if changing the filter(s) will help.

Here's what my filter looks like now (saw it while a Mobile Tech was changing the headlights for the DRL issue). Btw, funny story, I got yelled at by him for taking a picture (of MY car). Apparently they're told by Tesla to not let owners take pictures while they work. He just said because of proprietary tech but it's completely non-sense in this case.

filter.jpg

r1200gs4ok

Jul 17, 2019
Irvine
For the life of me I can't find a clear answer on this and I'd like to know before I start digging through the car.

I'm trying to figure out if an S that comes with the big filter (bioweapon defense mode) does also have a smaller cabin air filter?

If it does, can I just order replacements from Tesla for both? How much is the cabin filter and the big hepa filter? Also, it can be found behind the glove box from the cabin or from the frunk?

If it doesn't and the big one is the only filter, how often is it recommended to be changed out? I'm starting to notice a damp smell when turning on the AC for the first few seconds and wonder if changing the filter(s) will help.

Here's what my filter looks like now (saw it while a Mobile Tech was changing the headlights for the DRL issue). Btw, funny story, I got yelled at by him for taking a picture (of MY car). Apparently they're told by Tesla to not let owners take pictures while they work. He just said because of proprietary tech but it's completely non-sense in this case.

View attachment 522807
yelled at for taking pictures? .....that total bull crap....If that were the case, they would bring it to the shop to do the work......the car belongs to you.....

xenodata

Oct 30, 2017
DENVER
Pre 2016 there is just one small filter accessible in frunk as seen in videos above.

After 2016 there is the same small filter accessible inside the car behind glovebox. Maybe two of same small filters. And then additionally a large HEPA filter in the frunk, if you purchased the premium option package.

Small filter to be replaced yearly, large HEPA replaced every 3 years. Small filters $40, Hepa filter I’m not exactly sure but about $150-$300 depending on if you or they do it.

The service tech was being paranoid a little, it should be fine for you to take a picture of your car. But not record the disassembly or install process of the tech. They consider some of those procedures service tech only knowledge.

Reactions: cucubits

boshk

Jan 20, 2020
Hong Kong
anyone actually know the item number of the cabin filter for facelifted 2016 ms?
Tried looking for one on amazon but most are for pre-facelift especially the ones with the 'better/more reviews'
There was one but 2 reviews and 1 said...doesnt fit
tesla shop itself doesn't even have it

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC