Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Facelift S - Cabin Air Filter with/without HEPA Filter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cucubits

May 17, 2019
TX
For the life of me I can't find a clear answer on this and I'd like to know before I start digging through the car.

I'm trying to figure out if an S that comes with the big filter (bioweapon defense mode) does also have a smaller cabin air filter?

If it does, can I just order replacements from Tesla for both? How much is the cabin filter and the big hepa filter? Also, it can be found behind the glove box from the cabin or from the frunk?

If it doesn't and the big one is the only filter, how often is it recommended to be changed out? I'm starting to notice a damp smell when turning on the AC for the first few seconds and wonder if changing the filter(s) will help.

Here's what my filter looks like now (saw it while a Mobile Tech was changing the headlights for the DRL issue). Btw, funny story, I got yelled at by him for taking a picture (of MY car). Apparently they're told by Tesla to not let owners take pictures while they work. He just said because of proprietary tech but it's completely non-sense in this case.

filter.jpg

That is the HEPA filter, I'm surprised he could take out Frunk and leave the HEPA in place.

There should be a Cabin Air filter too, behind your glove box....if your car is late 2016+
If its earlier model, its what Doanster1 said, under hood.

Last edited:
Reactions: r1200gs4ok
For the life of me I can't find a clear answer on this and I'd like to know before I start digging through the car.

I'm trying to figure out if an S that comes with the big filter (bioweapon defense mode) does also have a smaller cabin air filter?

If it does, can I just order replacements from Tesla for both? How much is the cabin filter and the big hepa filter? Also, it can be found behind the glove box from the cabin or from the frunk?

If it doesn't and the big one is the only filter, how often is it recommended to be changed out? I'm starting to notice a damp smell when turning on the AC for the first few seconds and wonder if changing the filter(s) will help.

Here's what my filter looks like now (saw it while a Mobile Tech was changing the headlights for the DRL issue). Btw, funny story, I got yelled at by him for taking a picture (of MY car). Apparently they're told by Tesla to not let owners take pictures while they work. He just said because of proprietary tech but it's completely non-sense in this case.

View attachment 522807
yelled at for taking pictures? .....that total bull crap....If that were the case, they would bring it to the shop to do the work......the car belongs to you.....

Pre 2016 there is just one small filter accessible in frunk as seen in videos above.

After 2016 there is the same small filter accessible inside the car behind glovebox. Maybe two of same small filters. And then additionally a large HEPA filter in the frunk, if you purchased the premium option package.

Small filter to be replaced yearly, large HEPA replaced every 3 years. Small filters $40, Hepa filter I’m not exactly sure but about $150-$300 depending on if you or they do it.

The service tech was being paranoid a little, it should be fine for you to take a picture of your car. But not record the disassembly or install process of the tech. They consider some of those procedures service tech only knowledge.

Reactions: cucubits
anyone actually know the item number of the cabin filter for facelifted 2016 ms?
Tried looking for one on amazon but most are for pre-facelift especially the ones with the 'better/more reviews'
There was one but 2 reviews and 1 said...doesnt fit
tesla shop itself doesn't even have it

It’s not behind the glovebox, rather under the hood by the base of the windshield on the passenger side. Five minute job to swap, if that.
I have an early 2016 Model S. Is there somewhere to find a video on replacing the cabin filter? Is there a filter behind the Frunk, too? If so, what are the exact dimensions? (or nearly exact - people seem to be cutting filters out of the frunk frame)

Thanks Guys,
Doug
Pre 2016 there is just one small filter accessible in frunk as seen in videos above.

After 2016 there is the same small filter accessible inside the car behind glovebox. Maybe two of same small filters. And then additionally a large HEPA filter in the frunk, if you purchased the premium option package.

Small filter to be replaced yearly, large HEPA replaced every 3 years. Small filters $40, Hepa filter I’m not exactly sure but about $150-$300 depending on if you or they do it.

The service tech was being paranoid a little, it should be fine for you to take a picture of your car. But not record the disassembly or install process of the tech. They consider some of those procedures service tech only knowledge.
thanks for sharing this video! Just to be clear, there is only 1 filter in the frunk of the pre-facelift Model S (2016)?

I have an early 2016 Model S. Is there somewhere to find a video on replacing the cabin filter? Is there a filter behind the Frunk, too? If so, what are the exact dimensions? (or nearly exact - people seem to be cutting filters out of the frunk frame)

Thanks Guys,
Doug

thanks for sharing this video! Just to be clear, there is only 1 filter in the frunk of the pre-facelift Model S (2016)?
There is only one. We do not have Bio Weapon Defense/HEPA filter (you said pre-facelift/nosecone right?) Remove the windshield cowl and the filter cover is exposed.
Here’s the exact filter I use without any issues whatsoever.
JOJOMARK for Tesla Model S Cabin Air Filter with Activated Carbon Fit 2012-2015 Model S 1035125-00-A. (2012-2015 Activated Carbon) https://a.co/d/2y3Rnyp

Attachments

• IMG_6661.jpeg
    IMG_6661.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 49