Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Facelifted Model S: accessing fusebox and finding constant-on fuse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have suggestions on getting to the fusebox on the new facelifted MS? I looked under the shroud that looks similar to my 2013 MS, but there's another plastic structure below it -- I suspect that's where the new fusebox is, but I didn't have time to take it more apart: this lower section isn't just snapped in.

Also, any idea of which fuse is an always-on fuse in these newer cars? I want to reinstall an always on 12V socket in the trunk -- it was perfect for keeping an active cooler running so our food kept cold even when we got out of the car and it shut down.

If/when I get time, I'll post pics...but I'm, hoping someone has already figured this out.

I did find the fusebox, and it's hidden under this 2-layered shroud now. It looks like the same redesigned box in this posting: New fuse box design? (RHD, Jul/Aug15 produce) but they also never seemed to find out which fuse is which.

The box cover says to look in the manual but the onscreen manual has no section on fuses (as of June 28, 2016), and the online manuals still show the old fuse box.

I do know where the 12V jump point is now: certainly hidden but it's right behind the new fusebox. Definitely not easy to get to compared to the nosecone of "old". It takes a simple flathead to pop out the little plastic rivets.

I decided to not go any further until I can learn more, but here are pics for the curious, and I hope someone has the info!

IMG_8233.jpg

The Bioweapon defense intake!
IMG_8234.jpg

pop out rivets:
IMG_8235.jpg

I unlatched the left side of the lower shroud (looks like an air intake -- likely for the Bioweapon defense filter) and I can see a water drain. I didn't remove anything more than this, and it's flexible enough to hold up to see the fusebox and jump location under it.
IMG_8236.jpg

IMG_8241.jpg

Here's the new fusebox. I suspect it's the same one in the previously listed post. You can see the label for the jump terminal -- right under the red "+" is the terminal. That long rectangular cover also has a lip that sits behind and over the jump terminals. The thick black hose is protecting the 12V + cabling.
IMG_8237.jpg

Fusebox opened. Just behind you can see the 12V post, and the thick black cable coming from it. I suspect the anodized red post is the contactor for the HV pack, but I'm really not sure.
IMG_8238.jpg

Fusebox diagram that points you to the nonexistant owner's manual info.
IMG_8239.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I have already ordered it but the thing I don't know about the OBD circuit is what is it's amperage rating and fuse? I often plug in one of those active coolers and I think they draw around 5 amps.

Regardless it's useful to know which fuse protects anything you plug into that circuit.

It's unfortunate that this doesn't seem to be documented for recent cars including the refreshed ones.

Does anyone have suggestions on getting to the fusebox on the new facelifted MS? I looked under the shroud that looks similar to my 2013 MS, but there's another plastic structure below it -- I suspect that's where the new fusebox is, but I didn't have time to take it more apart: this lower section isn't just snapped in.

Also, any idea of which fuse is an always-on fuse in these newer cars? I want to reinstall an always on 12V socket in the trunk -- it was perfect for keeping an active cooler running so our food kept cold even when we got out of the car and it shut down.

If/when I get time, I'll post pics...but I'm, hoping someone has already figured this out.
Did you ever get your outlet installed in the trunk?

A little help - I spoke with a SC and they told me which one was the 12v Accesory Fuse so I could tap into it. The box is located in the front passenger wheel well. I'll post pictures of it soon to this thread:
Fuse Box on 2016 S

Another one told me I had to log into a service page (at $30/hr) and that the answers I was seeking may or may not be there. I wasn't too thrilled with that answer.

In the history of cars with fuses, has there ever been a car that had undocumented fuses? Boggles my mind.