Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factors in Model X Reservation Cancelations vs. Conversions to Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely price. If the Model X is similarly priced as the Model S, the USD/NOK exchange rate needs to stay below 8 by some amount. Preferably close to 6, like a year ago, but that doesn't seem too likely. It's currently at around 7.75.

Aside from price, I would prefer that the Model X gets favourable reviews, especially when it comes to workmanship. And it needs to have at least all the cool features I'm expecting, preferably more.

price. 3 years ago Canadian dollar was at par with US or there about. Now 1 us is 1.23 Canadian. Adding 20-25% purchase price could be a deal breaker for me as the budget was gonna get stretched to begin with. After that it is storage. If they do anything like the S when it came out, just will not be practical for a family car.

There's always this factor... ;)

200.gif

I don't get it :confused:

I don't get it :confused:

Clearly, AnxietyRanger's name is "Johnny". Furthermore, there is a crazy many peeking through a door yelling, "Here's Johnny", which is a reference to all the people that have described AR as 'crazy'. Also, note the poor fit and finish on the trim around the door, clearly a sign that this is a mule, rather than a release candidate door. Also note that there are no ultrasonic sensors on this door, which means that if AR opens this door, it will clearly hit the wall on the other side of the opening, which is another indicator that someone has had some regret in the past for being some form of a mule.

But maybe I'm reading too much into this...:rolleyes:

AnxietyRanger, can you please try to keep your posts on topic and contribute to the discussion? :rolleyes:

--- Updated ---
Just busting your chops AR, keep up the good work! :smile:

Now now, perfectly fair on your part - no need for qualifications after the fact... ;) Apologies for the slight tinge of self-irony and a silly image. Sorry.

Back on the topic, it was a reference to "crazy" (Nicholson from The Shining) affecting purchase decisions (and thus a reference to some recent banter here), which I think when it comes to cars is not necessarily so silly at all in general... but it probably isn't even in particular: My purchase decision will be affected by my estimate on how much or little "didn't make it", for the Signature edition, compared to what we estimate may be there in the near future.

For example, if Model X ships without all-around cameras or other features that either competition has and/or there is some other reason to believe may come to Model X very soon after the launch, I might consider waiting. Model S of course is riddled with such stories, but this is not in any way limited to just Tesla. For example, when the current Audi A8 originally launched, it shipped for first 5-6 months in Europe with 2G data without Google Earth, which was then quietly bumped to 3G data with Google Earth navigation. It is one thing to miss features later, but so soon... (For the record, I did get that A8 3G by sheer luck as my delivery was delayed.)

Now, this won't mean I would wait for every possible missing thing - no doubt Model X will still miss many features compared to the competition, offset by others it has - and there is always something around the corner, but there is the chance that if I deem enough is missing that has a good chance of appearing in the near future (didn't quite make the launch kind of stuff), I might reconsider. I'm hoping the long delays for Model X means there will be few if any such things that will have "missed" the Signature edition, but instead it is a healthy jump for the Tesla feature level. After all, that "Signature" counts for something too in the equation.

I understand this view is a speculation game. That's the nature of the beast. Manufacturers don't often or at least always want to tell you what and when upgrades might come, to not Osbourne their products, so one relies on unofficial information to make up their mind in such a case.

Last edited:
Functionality of the falcon wing doors is important to me. They need to be more than unique - I'd like them to be at least as functional as automatic sliders on a van with minimal issues when it comes to low clearance situations.

Because my reservation is also in the 8k range, the other factor will be early delivery issues - depending on the severity, I could see canceling my order and just getting back into a later slot in line if things aren't going smoothly.

Oddly enough, new/fancier features are more icing on the cake than deal-killers for me. I want another electric vehicle that more comfortably seats 7 and is at a height that my wife will enjoy. I'm ready to be done with ICE, so all the other fancy stuff will just be gravy.

Oddly enough, new/fancier features are more icing on the cake than deal-killers for me. I want another electric vehicle that more comfortably seats 7 and is at a height that my wife will enjoy. I'm ready to be done with ICE, so all the other fancy stuff will just be gravy.

I agree and understand this perspective depends greatly on the person as well as unique conditions surrounding each purchase. I know at least one Model S buyer who had no spec requirements for the car, absolutely none. He just wanted a Model S and as far as I know is happy with it ever since. I believe it turned out to be a 60 without much anything.

Myself I was somewhat in a similar situation with my P85, although it is nearly loaded for its time. I left behind a lot of stuff my previous German ICE had to get to that EV experience faster, with the idea that Model X would eventually fill those holes. Hence I'm personally a little more reluctant to be as cavalier about "features" this next time, but have been happy to forgo them for the current round.

I guess I should reply to my own thread. I trust Tesla to make the Model X the best SUV in its class as long as you do not plan to take it off road. So I guess it comes more down to price and range. Over the years waiting I have watched the price of the Model S options go up quite a bit, but I have also watched it become a much more polished car. I expect both of these traits: more expensive options and a more mature vehicle to carry over to the Model X. I just hope things like the third row seats which are now 3k on the Model S (do not remember what price they started) and other options that many will go for do not put it out of range. Again looking at the Model S, I really like the 70D update for its standard good range and duel motor performance as well as making a lot of the tech package standard and things like the air suspension not dependent on an expensive tech package. I hope the entry level Model X is as compelling especially in the range department. It would be really nice to feel I could get a usable range without having to fork over another 10k for the bigger battery. It will be interesting to see if the battery options stay the same as the Model S and what range penalty the larger and heavier size create. Elon Musk has said many times that the price of the Model X will be comparable to the Model S. My guess is the place where it will be more expensive than the S is needing the larger battery options to get the range you want (for those who are not just going for the give me all options flavor of Model X).

I expect the base model x will be the a 70D equivalent. They don't need to do that today. But before preorders they were not talking about the X being a premium product over the S. They are being jerks to long suffering X preorder customers if they don't offer a good base model X on day one.

Since the the olden days of several years ago Tesla has learned there is excellent demand for a premium product. So my uninformed guess is that Tesla will offer the full range of X price points on day one.

The model X should be superb off road with the right tires. The practical problem in remote areas is range, of course. If Tesla has developed a new chassis, both the S and X may have more max. battery capacity. I expect there are significant model X improvements that will be applied to the model S. Tesla is not going to talk about the model S changes now because they don't want to kill sales. Plus if the S chassis is changed, they presumably need to do qualifying like crash testing again.

Revealing the model X may hurt S sales if it causes S buyers to wait for upgrades. But that won't matter, as Tesla will likely be production constrained through first part of next year anyways.

It's a dance by Tesla to set high customer expectations but not kill current sales.