TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

factory 19" wheel cracked?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by sbradbury, Oct 18, 2015.

1. sbradbury

sbradbury Member

I picked up my new 70D at the end of September, and today while getting the car detailed and opti-coated the detailer pointed out a crack in one of the wheels. I'm not losing any air, but aside from that I don't know of any way to tell if this is structural or just a paint issue. Haven't hit any large potholes or curbs. I'm not one to make a big stink over something cosmetic in a very un-noticeable place, but obviously concerned if this were a safety issue. Looking for opinions.

KMBhChu.jpg

2. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

I have no expertise in tires or wheels. My two cents - its a safety issue and I would most definitely show it to Tesla for their opinion. If you keep driving it I would check it once in a while to make sure its not getting bigger. Gut feeling is it will get bigger over time. Good luck.

3. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Check with the Tesla Service center ... it may just be a paint defect.

4. linkster

linkster Member

#4 linkster, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    + 1

looks like a rim casting defect to me as I have never seen powder coating crack in that manner

5. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I thought I was hard on my tires! ;)

6. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

I'd also guess its just a paint issue. Thats not a typical place for a rim crack to happen.

7. sbradbury

sbradbury Member

Just wanted to report Tesla service is as exemplary as everyone says. They called me to schedule a time to look at the wheel and replaced it today, even though it was determined to be cosmetic and not a structural issue.