TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Factory delivery, register in another state

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Darmok, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Darmok

Darmok P5265 XP2065

I plan to take delivery at the factory, then drive the car back home to Nevada. I will pay California sales tax, but Nevada deducts the California tax paid from any Nevada tax due, so there won't be a double tax. Tesla seems confused on registration, however. If you took delivery in California but registered the car elsewhere, was there a charge for California registration (which would be useless for me, other than a temporary permit)? My hope is to get a temporary California tag, for free or nominal cost, then pay registration fees when registering the car in Nevada.

2. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

You should be able to get a CA temporary "drive off" permit to give you 10 days to drive out of CA. CA is obtuse, and they will force you to pay CA sales tax. While you said NV will deduct the tax due, isn't the tax rate in CA higher than NV? It will cost you extra taxes to take delivery in CA.

3. Darmok

Darmok P5265 XP2065

Thanks @andrewket. Yes, the taxes are .65% higher, but that's just part of the cost of a long weekend in the bay area with the family picking up the car.

4. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

California sales tax is .65% higher than Nevada, so that probably comes to less than $500. Not enough to stop a road trip!

Edit: Darmok beat me to it.

5. Darmok

Darmok P5265 XP2065

Then deduct the sales tax from federal income tax, and the difference is around $350. And no energy costs on the way home!

6. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

So does California keep the tax money or send it over to Nevada?
    I assume they keep it, which is why op won't be getting the refund