Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Delivery - Rent-a-Car or Fly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a date, a VIN, and I'm taking delivery at the factory! For those of you keeping track... yes, I've been a reservationist for 17 months. From my initial interest to actual delivery, I will have been waiting 25 months, lol

But I digress... I'm finally taking delivery in December, and now I'm stuck with one last hurtle: How do I get up to the factory? (because after all this time, I have to take the tour). When I asked how delivery recipients get from LA to the factory, the only response I got from everyone I asked was flying. That kind of surprised me since flights from LA to Oakland start $300 per person (if your lucky). So after some digging I found two very awesome alternatives that I thought I would share:

1: The factory is only a 5 or 6 hour drive from LA. A one way, 24 hour rental is only $178 with Enterprise, and $194 with Avis. To add icing on the cake, Enterprise will pick you up at home, AND drop you off at the factory! There's an Enterprise location just walking distance from the factory, so you could literally walk to the factory if you didn't want to wait for the driver. So why not rent and take one last road trip in an ICE car? and not just any ICE car... an ICE car you can drive like a rental :D

2: If your trading in a car, you can trade it in at the factory! So you can drive your personal car right up to the factory, leave it, and drive off with your Tesla. That's what I'm doing and I couldn't be happier. One last road trip in a car that's taken me so many places. Can't wait!

For those that might want to do option #1, here's the address to the enterprise rent-a-car by the factory: 5307 Central Ave, FREMONT, CA 94536 US

I found one-way rental's to Oakland airport to be cheaper (was quoted $120), but the airport locations won't drop you off at the factory. So factor in a cab ride/extra gas if your planning to drop your rental off at the airport.

I'm being dropped off at LAX in my ActiveE by a cousin who will bring car back home. Then flying up one way for approx. $116 to SJC from LAX for two people (AA same price on UA).

Cab would've been cheaper, but having a Tesla Model S take us from SJC to the factory...

Just guilty of Jet Fuel at the LAX to SJC portion of the trip.

With the completion of the West Coast Supercharger network, I'm sure that there will e an increase in factory pick ups from the Pacific Northwest.

My status went ready for pickup or delivery.

Looking forward to next Friday.