Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Delivery versus Bay Area Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any thoughts on factory delivery versus a Bay Area service center? For me it would be either Burlingame or Palo Alto. This will be my second Model S and I already did the factory tour three years ago (although it is tempting to do it again). I seem to remember a thread a while back, which I can't find, that indicated it is better to pick up at a service center since you have a new set of eyes doing quality control and so you end up with fewer initial problems. But I don't remember whether this was during a busy period when the factory was having issues or whether this is generally true. Does anyone think there is a difference?

Do you have any friends that would be interested in seeing the factory, maybe some that are interested in getting a Tesla, are car nuts or just like seeing massive robots doing their thing? If not, do you know any engineering students that would be interested in seeing how things are done for real?

The factory may have changed a lot since you were last there, but even if you're not interested personally, it might be fun for others.

Reactions: aesculus
Picking up at the factory could save some transportation time (hours to days) and eliminate the risk of damage in loading and unloading the car carrier.

Of course, convenience is another factor. Sounds like Fremont is farther for you than a SC.

The factory is a lot different today than it was 3 years ago. And yes, you can do the tour any time. Once a year for owners is my understanding.

Good point about the SC eyes...especially if you have a rapport with them from your 2014.

In terms of convenience, Fremont is a 25 minute drive, Burlingame 15 minutes and Palo Alto 20 minutes. Note a big deal. Mostly, I would like the convenience of not having to take it back to fix things. Thanks for pointing out that I can get a tour either way. The last tour was a lot of fun.