TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Factory delivery vs. San Rafael Service Center - Length of delay

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by puchanix, Nov 24, 2015.

1. puchanix

puchanix New Member

I just placed my order for my Model X P90 D :smile:. I live in Marin and would rather pick up the car at the San Rafael Service Center which is very near me. I could go to the factory in Fremont, but that would take me over an hour each way. I am guessing it would take them a few days to move the car from the factory to the San Rafael service center, and I would be OK with that, but if it will take them a week or more then I would rather pick the car in the factory. Anybody knows how long I am likely to have to wait for the service center pick up vs. the factory? How long has it taken for MS orders to do nearby service center deliveries? Any chance they would actually give production priority to factory pick-ups? BTW: I've already done the factory tour, so I have no need to go there...

Thanks!

Cheers,

Puchanix.

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

They are highly motivated to get them off the factory lot and into your hands so that they can book the sale. Especially at the end of the quarter. They can't book until you take delivery. I bet it would be a day. They delivered mine to my house the day it passed final inspection. I'm about eh same distance from the factory as you.

3. MitchJi

MitchJi Active Member

How much do they charge for delivery?

4. puchanix

puchanix New Member

I don't believe there is a charge for the delivery to a service center.

P.

5. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

The delivery charge is part of the $1,200 "Destination & Doc Fee". Don't know if that is reduced if you take delivery at the factory.

6. timf

timf Member

It's the same $1,200 whether you take delivery at a service center or the factory.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yep, I got no discount when I took factory delivery in Dec 2013.

8. siucity

siucity Button Pusher

I think as long as they can fill up a transport truck, which probably isn't an issue, it'll be delivered as soon as possible. I've seen the transport truck full of Teslas many times on its way to San Rafael during my commute.

9. MikeL

MikeL some guy

I'd say go San Rafael. They deliver A LOT of cars up there so save yourself the trouble. & by "just placed my order" ... you mean configured, confirmed (?) let us know :smile: I'll witness the signing and drive your other, now obsolete car back to Stinson Beach for you. ML

10. puchanix

puchanix New Member

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like San Rafael might be the way to go... When I said I "ordered" it I meant that I had configured it. The order will be "confirmed" on Monday. I wanted to decide on the pickup location before then, but someone at Tesla Sales told me that I can change the pickup location after the order has been confirmed. So, it is not like the configuration, which is not meant to be changed at that point. That makes sense... BTW: I am Production Reservation 259, so I am hoping that my TMX will be ready very soon after they finish with the Sigs...

MikeL: Thanks for the offer to drive my obsolete Audi TDI (ouch!) back home. I might take you up on that ;-).

P.

11. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

The factory tour + pickup experience is amazing if you haven't done it before. Definitely makes memories.

- K

12. MitchJi

MitchJi Active Member

I would double check on the price of delivery. I just read an article about buying a CPO Tesla and it said that he had a choice of picking it up or paying a $1,500 delivery fee. That matches what's the CPO Site says:
    I would NOT even consider paying $1,500 to avoid driving to Fremont.