Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not a fan of road trips. I just don't like being in the car for hours at a time, and growing up, my parents wanted to "drive straight through the night" only stopping for gas, food to eat in the car and bathroom breaks. I am thinking though, with the required charging stops, I may be more inclined to take more road trips.

I live in Dallas and have read lots of stories of MS owners picking up their new cars at the factory and wondered if this would still be an option with the lower priced, mass produced M3? I would like to make a trip of it, staying in the Bay area before delivery and then stopping off in Las Vegas, Sedona, and other spots on the way home taking 5 days or so to see the sights.

I'm also in DFW and tempted by factory delivery if I won't get dinged by California taxes. I have family and friends in Cal and a road trip home in the new 3 sounds fun, stopping to see folks along the way.

I do enjoy road trips in comfortable cars. I also love the American west and can think of many places to see on the way home to Texas.

I tried that with my 'S'... no go... apparently there are A LOT of barriers... :(

I didn't even think about having to pay CA taxes by doing this. I did read somewhere that Texas doesn't charge it's taxes if certain conditions are met (this was a few years ago so I can't remember the details), although I am assuming CA taxes are going to be quite a bit higher than TX. What other barriers did you encounter? I have noticed that companies like CarMax won't transfer cars from CA to your local store like they do from most other states.

There's a nearly identical thread about this. To save you the time of reading it, there's no info on whether this will be an option for the model 3. Also the CA taxes which was already mentioned.

It's still too early in the game for an answer.

Reactions: ikjadoon
I would definitely opt to pick mine up at the Freemont Factory if it meant not having to pay sales tax
Not paying California tax if 680 passes. You likely will still have your local state's sales tax.
At least based on how Washington State does vehicles sales tax... If you buy in Oregon (no sales tax), WA gets the tax when the car is registered.

ETA: I totally would be up for flying down and picking up mine at the factory! I think that would add to the whole experience :D

Not paying California tax if 680 passes. You likely will still have your local state's sales tax.
At least based on how Washington State does vehicles sales tax... If you buy in Oregon (no sales tax), WA gets the tax when the car is registered.

ETA: I totally would be up for flying down and picking up mine at the factory! I think that would add to the whole experience :D

Probably right...in Georgia the ad valorem tax is combined with sales tax so your not paying registration fees every year...but then you have to pay a $200 a year penalty for owning an EV

Probably right...in Georgia the ad valorem tax is combined with sales tax so your not paying registration fees every year...but then you have to pay a $200 a year penalty for owning an EV

I'm really surprised we haven't seen more states do something like this, and I'm sure they all will eventually. I'm ok with paying some sort of "EV" tax to offset the taxes missed by not buying fuel, EVs still use the roads the same as ICE cars.

Here in WA, we have the typical registration per year (my current cars are about $125/year + $15 emissions testing every 2 years), plus a "gas tax replacement" for EVs that is currently $100, $150 starting this July.
Part of the registration fee is based on weight, and expect the Model 3 will jump up to the next category that is $20+, so expect my annual tags will be at least $295 but no emissions testing! ;)