Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have no way to know what the laws and policies will be when the M3 is released, but it doesn't look like anything will change.

Today, if you purchase a $40,000 Tesla and pick it up at the factory in California, you will pay $3800 in taxes plus the delivery fee before you can drive away. If Florida doesn't make you pay any tax, you will be done.

If you have the car delivered in Florida, and the tax is 6℅ as you say, you will pay $2400 plus the same delivery fee.

If you want the road trip, probably cheaper to have the car delivered in FL, then drive to Fremont and back.

Yes,thanks. I wasn't asking for an explanation-I was already aware of the taxes involved but I'm sure your post will help others understand the process.. I agree that there will be few if any law and regs changes in my state between now and then.
I just got off the phone with the DMV and sales tax in ANY state applies to sales tax in Florida. For some states,tax paid in another state only applies to surrounding states. So paying the exorbitant tax of nearly 10% in California is a further penalty for factory delivery-stating the obvious here for those out-of-staters considering factory delivery. Again,if they waived the delivery fee-which they won't-I'd pay the nearly 4% penalty and take delivery there.

Last edited:
Reactions: BerTX