Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My last new car had 7 miles on it when I picked it up.

My Roadster had 26 miles on it when I received it, and almost all of that happened in a single 24 hour period right after the car was assembled. They did half a dozen or so short drives, including one that peaked at 78 mph. So it looks like they gave the car a good test after assembling it.

They probably use statistical sampling on a high volume production line, so perhaps your car was never given more than basic function checks.

My Roadster had 26 miles on it when I received it, and almost all of that happened in a single 24 hour period right after the car was assembled. They did half a dozen or so short drives, including one that peaked at 78 mph. So it looks like they gave the car a good test after assembling it.

They probably use statistical sampling on a high volume production line, so perhaps your car was never given more than basic function checks.

I believe that many car companies do this testing on a dyno and zero the milage when they are done.

I believe that many car companies do this testing on a dyno and zero the milage when they are done.

It's also very likely that they do a more thorough test on major subassemblies, before they put the car together. For example, the engine can be mounted to a test rig and given a pretty comprehensive test before it is installed in a car chassis. Similar tests can be done on the transmission, etc.

Ah, the infamous delivery charges.

* If there's a significant surcharge for home delivery over picking it up at the New York store, I think it's time for a trip to New York. If I'm very careful and start with a full range charge, I should be able to make it home in one go. Although doing the first driving within New York City... nervewrackingly awful, so I'd pay a little to not do that.
* If there's a really large charge for delivery from the factory to the New York store... well, I did roughly price out how much it would cost to take the full trip. I have the time. Doing it lazily, around 12 nights in hotels, call it $1200, plus about $800 to get out there. This means that a charge of $2000 is, in fact, steep, given that I could pick up the car from the factory and take a road trip back for about the same amount, without scrimping.

I'm assuming $2000 for my budgeting purposes because if they *do* charge more, I *will* take the road trip. :) I certainly hope they charge less for delivery, and they ought to charge less.
They're already charging an arm and a leg for the Signature. Free delivery, that would be a nice feature for us early adopters.

If I'm very careful and start with a full range charge, I should be able to make it home in one go.

We decided in this thread Mystery of the Missing 5 kWh that the 85 kWh pack (standard on Signature) has a little extra juice for the first 5 cycles. Also heard the Tesla reps at the Detroit Auto Show saying that they were 100% confident that the 85 kWh would deliver 300 miles - which leads me to believe that extra 5 kWh is cushion / padding. All of this to say you can probably count on 300 miles (at 55mph) driving from the dealer to your house the first time.

Here is the response from my local state represenative. I encourage others to do the same regarding California delivery:

Sam Blakeslee 9:05am Mar 26
Hi Lloyd - what tesla is doing is so interesting. I hope they succeed. Your idea is fascinating.

Conversation History Lloyd Marcum 7:31am Mar 26
Sam, Have a good idea for California. I have become involved with Tesla Motors, the new EV manufactured in California. New owners want to be able to pick up their vehicle in California at the factory and tour California before driving home. Current law says if delivery occurs in CA then tax must be paid. If CA would allo
Lloyd Marcum 7:34am Mar 26
Cont.... allow a temorary registration for say 30 days $75 then it woud be $$$ that California did not have before, and tourism dollars. It is a win win for everyone.

View Conversation on Facebook · Reply to this email to message Sam Blakeslee.

Thanks, GG! The to-be-opened Tesla Boston store will be the farthest North American store from Fremont (about 80 miles further than Dania Beach). I think that my drive from the factory to my summer home might be the longest of those tagged on my map of Model S reservation holders, were I to take factory delivery: 3,277 miles by the most direct route, but I'm sure I'd have a much longer drive to get around the EVSE wasteland of Nevada and the western Plains! That would be a fun odyssey if I had the time to burn.

Have they officially announced the Tesla - Natick/Boston store yet?

Cool post full of warm fuzzies. I like that the satellite radio option no longer requires the panoramic roof. It doesn't affect me as I want the roof, but it's great to see that (among other) changes they made specifically due to feedback. The 7 years of map updates for free was a nice clarification as well.

For SF Bay Area locals for sure, the 'Factory Experience' sounds great! Can't wait to see the factory humming along! I don't really care for the personal (at-home) delivery mainly because it might seem rather ostentatious for the Tesla delivery truck to pull up making a big scene of sorts :)

Not at all. With the Roadster delivery, neighbors and friends came round to see what was happening and we started test rides up and down the street.
I understand the not wanting to showboat, but yea, in this case I'll be more than happy to tout EVs in general and Tesla in particular to anyone that sees the car arrive.

Sam Blakeslee 9:05am Mar 26
Hi Lloyd - what tesla is doing is so interesting. I hope they succeed. Your idea is fascinating.

...It is a win win for everyone.

Plug in America might be able to help introduce this. Not sure if a CA issue falls in what they do but it might be worth an ask. Could help other car maker states wanting to do the same thing.