Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or the other angle is: consider yourself lucky to live close enough that it's less than a day's drive to Fremont. Many of us who live many hours by air from Fremont would love to get factory delivery but it's not worth the travel cost + ensuing cross-country drive.

If I lived far away, I'd probably fly out for the factory tour - and then have my car delivered.

Due to the sales tax thing, I'll have to have mine delivered, but I might ask if I can get a rain check on the factory experience since I do visit the bay area periodically.

To my knowledge Tesla hasn't yet announced this as an option. The only time they mentioned going through the Factory was for factory delivery...guess we'll have to see if we can get the Factory Experience without actually taking delivery of the car.

Or the other angle is: consider yourself lucky to live close enough that it's less than a day's drive to Fremont. Many of us who live many hours by air from Fremont would love to get factory delivery but it's not worth the travel cost + ensuing cross-country drive.

So you can make my case better than I can. :)

For a lot of people, factory delivery is going to be a big inconvenience and cost, and it would kinda rub me the wrong way if Tesla doesn't pass on the delivery savings.

Also, I'll be lucky if it's less than a day's drive. It will depend on whether I get the supercharging option and where the supercharging stations are. I believe with the 60kwh battery, it will take two charges to get from Fremont to San Diego.

For a lot of people, factory delivery is going to be a big inconvenience and cost, and it would kinda rub me the wrong way if Tesla doesn't pass on the delivery savings.

Then don't take factory delivery. The reason that everyone pays the same price is that it could quickly become prohibitively expensive for everyone who doesn't live close to the source. Imagine if you paid higher water bills because you lived far from the pumping station; or higher electricity tariffs because you don't live close enough to the power station. Maybe people who live far from the post office should pay higher postage prices?

Also everyone would start to do all their own calculations on doing the shipping themselves....chaos for Tesla and the buyers.

Well of course not taking factory delivery is an option.

It's not unprecedented in the automotive industry to charge less for factory delivery. With the European manufacturers, I understand the discount essentially pays for the trip, and delivery to your local dealer, across the ocean, is included. That makes less sense than Telsa not charging for delivery when the car is picked up at the factory, and they don't have to transport the car at all. Tesla can structure their prices any way they want, of course, and maybe the factory experience is worth the cost and hassle of the trip. But it would sure be nice of them to skip the deliver charge.

Well of course not taking factory delivery is an option.

It's not unprecedented in the automotive industry to charge less for factory delivery. With the European manufacturers, I understand the discount essentially pays for the trip, and delivery to your local dealer, across the ocean, is included. That makes less sense than Telsa not charging for delivery when the car is picked up at the factory, and they don't have to transport the car at all. Tesla can structure their prices any way they want, of course, and maybe the factory experience is worth the cost and hassle of the trip. But it would sure be nice of them to skip the deliver charge.

They get away with it because they don't pay an import tax. That is where all the money comes from with the German car marques.

Chevy offers Factory delivery for Corvettes and it's an extra $490 on top of the standard fees so clearly there is not a consensus on this. Like ElSup said, if they get to avoid an import tax that could be the source of the savings and not any kind of altruism on the part of the factory.

Ok, so it sounds like Chevy also charges delivery fee if you pickup the car. But it sounds like with the European manufacturers, they pass the savings on import tax on to the buyer. Similar to how I suggest Tesla should pass on the savings of not transporting the car. If they tacked on a "factory experience" fee, instead of the delivery fee, to cover their costs of paying a tour guide and whatever perks they throw in, I'd be ok with that, but it ought to be less the $1000 delivery fee.

Thought I would post the latest direct from Tesla. They have been working hard on getting some good solid answers to the whole tax and factory delivery issue and here is the response:

We have an update for all of our out-of-state customers who are interested in taking delivery at the Tesla Factory in Fremont, California. It is now clear per the California Board of Equalization Publication 34 & Regulation 1620 that all customers taking delivery in California must pay California sales tax. Non California residents who opt for delivery at the Fremont Factory must pay the local county sales tax (currently 8.75% in Alameda County). These taxes will be collected at the point of sale in California. The point of sale, by definition, will be at the time the customer (purchaser) takes possession of the vehicle. Customers travelling from states that have higher sales tax than the Alameda County tax may be required to pay the difference to their local government. We suggest customers contact county and local governments to verify their tax rates.

While these tax regulations will impact customers who plan to drive their new Model S back to their home state, we encourage customers to visit us and participate in the Tesla Factory Experience in Fremont. This program is designed for those who want to see the Model S production facility, tour the production floor, learn about the beginnings of Tesla.
Regardless of where you choose to take delivery of your Model S, we plan to provide a Tesla Personal Delivery. At your delivery location, we will provide an in depth vehicle overview and help you customize your Model S vehicle settings and personal preferences (Touchscreen, Homelink, Bluetooth devices, download music, etc). The cost of the Tesla Personal Delivery will be identical for those who opt to pick up their Model S at the Factory or have it delivered across country.

Thought I would post the latest direct from Tesla. They have been working hard on getting some good solid answers to the whole tax and factory delivery issue and here is the response:

We have an update for all of our out-of-state customers who are interested in taking delivery at the Tesla Factory in Fremont, California. It is now clear per the California Board of Equalization Publication 34 & Regulation 1620 that all customers taking delivery in California must pay California sales tax. Non California residents who opt for delivery at the Fremont Factory must pay the local county sales tax (currently 8.75% in Alameda County). These taxes will be collected at the point of sale in California. The point of sale, by definition, will be at the time the customer (purchaser) takes possession of the vehicle. Customers travelling from states that have higher sales tax than the Alameda County tax may be required to pay the difference to their local government. We suggest customers contact county and local governments to verify their tax rates.

While these tax regulations will impact customers who plan to drive their new Model S back to their home state, we encourage customers to visit us and participate in the Tesla Factory Experience in Fremont. This program is designed for those who want to see the Model S production facility, tour the production floor, learn about the beginnings of Tesla.
Regardless of where you choose to take delivery of your Model S, we plan to provide a Tesla Personal Delivery. At your delivery location, we will provide an in depth vehicle overview and help you customize your Model S vehicle settings and personal preferences (Touchscreen, Homelink, Bluetooth devices, download music, etc). The cost of the Tesla Personal Delivery will be identical for those who opt to pick up their Model S at the Factory or have it delivered across country.

Thanks for sharing. Did they send this in an email blast or one off communication?

I'm sad to be right :crying: (I posted the links earlier to the mentioned regulations). I do plan to visit the factory someday though regardless.

Yes, definitely a disappointment to my wife and I. I knew about the regs, but when Tesla posted that it was going to happen, I just assumed that they had been able to arrange a waiver of some kind via the legislature. Oh well. I guess we'll just have to go on our camping trip after we take delivery.