Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory events on the agenda

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps they can just fit us in with the normal tours? I think there are normally four tours a day for new-owner pickups, so for Friday and Saturday that would be 8 tours. If all 300 want to go, that would make groups of 37 or so, not too bad and it wouldn't require any additional Tesla personnel and would handle at least those that are around Friday and Saturday. I don't know if they run tours on Sunday normally.

Perhaps they can just fit us in with the normal tours? I think there are normally four tours a day for new-owner pickups, so for Friday and Saturday that would be 8 tours. If all 300 want to go, that would make groups of 37 or so, not too bad and it wouldn't require any additional Tesla personnel and would handle at least those that are around Friday and Saturday. I don't know if they run tours on Sunday normally.

Factory tours are limited to 25 people, max, for insurance reasons. We also have the issue of additional tours potentially impacting production. Obviously people picking up their cars will have first priority here.

That said, Tesla is looking into how to accomodate the requests. It will take a few layers of approvals. If we have a limited number of spots, I'll ask that the folks flying in have first shot at the spots, followed by locals who have not yet had a tour.

But let's wait and see what the reality is re: number of tour slots.

Factory tours are limited to 25 people, max, for insurance reasons. We also have the issue of additional tours potentially impacting production. Obviously people picking up their cars will have first priority here.

That said, Tesla is looking into how to accomodate the requests. It will take a few layers of approvals. If we have a limited number of spots, I'll ask that the folks flying in have first shot at the spots, followed by locals who have not yet had a tour.

the 4th of july weekend is right before, and if tesla stays true to the last few quarters they might give the factory guys the first week of the 3rd quarter (july 4th weekend) off.

even those of us will fly in may be there a few days or weeks ahead of time to vacation, etc. perhaps we could get a "pass" that would allow us to join existing tours +/-2 weeks around the conference? that might cut the number that you would try to squeeze into a friday/saturday/monday timeframe for tours?

It's also hard to hear the tour guide with all the presses and other machinery going.

I got to view the terracotta warriors at the Asian Art Museum via docent tour, and they had this system where each person in the group received headphones with wireless receiver tuned to a certain channel. The docent then spoke into a microphone and everyone could hear her through the headphones, and could control their own volume. It was really cool because even with the large crowds around us we could still hear!

Tesla needs something like that. Maybe even by setting up a conference call everyone could use their phones to listen in.

Just an update: I do not have a confirmation from Tesla yet. This is not a simple answer, it turns out. People will be picking up cars, tours are limited to 25 people, and a maximum number of tours/day (so as not to negatively impact manufacturing).

That said, it is likely we will get a certain number of tour slots made available over the days that people have asked about. While we wait to hear back, I thought I'd let you guys settle on the best filter for determining who gets the slots, if those turn out to be limited. (fyi, for those of you with kids, there is a minimum age level of 12)

I'll start. :) In order of priority:

1. Model S or Roadster owner, has never had a factory tour, flew in flor the event.
  2. Model S or Roadster owner, never had a factory tour - local.
  3. Model X reservation holder, has never had a factory tour, flew in for event.
  4. Model X reservation holder, never had a factory tour - local.
  5. All others - as slots are available.

Just an update: I do not have a confirmation from Tesla yet. This is not a simple answer, it turns out. People will be picking up cars, tours are limited to 25 people, and a maximum number of tours/day (so as not to negatively impact manufacturing).

That said, it is likely we will get a certain number of tour slots made available over the days that people have asked about. While we wait to hear back, I thought I'd let you guys settle on the best filter for determining who gets the slots, if those turn out to be limited. (fyi, for those of you with kids, there is a minimum age level of 12)

I'll start. :) In order of priority:

1. Model S or Roadster owner, has never had a factory tour, flew in flor the event.
  2. Model S or Roadster owner, never had a factory tour - local.
  3. Model X reservation holder, has never had a factory tour, flew in for event.
  4. Model X reservation holder, never had a factory tour - local.
  5. All others - as slots are available.

Bonnie - may I suggest modifying "flew in for the event" to "in town for the event from out of state" - there are a few of us at least who would otherwise be in the "flew in for the event" category, but will actually be driving in.

In my case, it's the difference between (1) and (5). I think you see the issue :)