Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory events on the agenda

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bonnie - may I suggest modifying "flew in for the event" to "in town for the event from out of state" - there are a few of us at least who would otherwise be in the "flew in for the event" category, but will actually be driving in.

In my case, it's the difference between (1) and (5). I think you see the issue :)

Poor wording on my part. Yes, I meant to indicate people who had come more than xx miles to the event. Thanks for pointing that out.

Poor wording on my part. Yes, I meant to indicate people who had come more than xx miles to the event. Thanks for pointing that out.

How about 1.5x miles. Where 'x' is the ideal mile capacity of their (ordered) Tesla! Or 450 miles if not an owner/reservation holder of a Tesla vehicle.

EDIT: 450 seems like a lot. Maybe tweak it a little bit. And it should be travel distance, not as the crow flies.

Bonnie / ElSupreme - I think it can be as simple as out-of-state as the first pass priority. The big issue for a lot of us is not the distance, so much as that unless we think the factory tour is worth paying California Use Tax for our car (like $5k or something?), then the tour is functionally unavailable (some have had success with finding others going on tour and hitching a ride as a guest).

Bonnie / ElSupreme - I think it can be as simple as out-of-state as the first pass priority. The big issue for a lot of us is not the distance, so much as that unless we think the factory tour is worth paying California Use Tax for our car (like $5k or something?), then the tour is functionally unavailable (some have had success with finding others going on tour and hitching a ride as a guest).

Yeah that CA tax thing is important. But isn't it fairly easy to 'hitch' a ride on the factory tour?

Just an update: I do not have a confirmation from Tesla yet. This is not a simple answer, it turns out. People will be picking up cars, tours are limited to 25 people, and a maximum number of tours/day (so as not to negatively impact manufacturing).

That said, it is likely we will get a certain number of tour slots made available over the days that people have asked about. While we wait to hear back, I thought I'd let you guys settle on the best filter for determining who gets the slots, if those turn out to be limited. (fyi, for those of you with kids, there is a minimum age level of 12)

I'll start. :) In order of priority:

1. Model S or Roadster owner, has never had a factory tour, flew in flor the event.
  2. Model S or Roadster owner, never had a factory tour - local.
  3. Model X reservation holder, has never had a factory tour, flew in for event.
  4. Model X reservation holder, never had a factory tour - local.
  5. All others - as slots are available.

Hi Bonnie,

Thanks for all your efforts!

This approach does present some of us out-of-staters with a bit of a problem in confirming our travel arrangements.

Without the factory tour on Friday morning, I probably would just fly in on Friday afternoon. If there is a factory tour I would fly in a day early on Thursday and book an additional night at the hotel. Although I have paid for a reservation for the event, I have not yet booked my airline flights because this is all up in the air. This priority system adds an additional element of uncertainty in that even if there are tours I still might not get a tour.

I have received a factory tour when the factory was not in operation, but naturally I would very much like to obtain a tour when it is in operation.

Anything you can do to resolve the uncertainty sooner rather than later would greatly assist people out of state in confirming our hotel and air line arrangements.

Larry

Anything you can do to resolve the uncertainty sooner rather than later would greatly assist people out of state in confirming our hotel and air line arrangements.

Totally understand this and have made this point. I was told that things are going through more than a few layers of management. The moment I know, I will post here. Since we're still talking a couple months out, I don't think airline tickets will change drastically. If it were less than a month, then it would be more problematic.

Just a suggestion - there are already different groups forming to add on other activities. Whale watching, touring San Francisco, stuff like that. You could still consider coming in on Thursday evening and have a 'Plan B' activity lined up.

Reminder for those bringing kids to the event: The factory tour does have a minimum age, for insurance purposes (assuming that we're so lucky as to get tour slots). Please be aware that the minimum age restriction will not be lifted.

Totally understand this and have made this point. I was told that things are going through more than a few layers of management. The moment I know, I will post here. Since we're still talking a couple months out, I don't think airline tickets will change drastically. If it were less than a month, then it would be more problematic.

Just a suggestion - there are already different groups forming to add on other activities. Whale watching, touring San Francisco, stuff like that. You could still consider coming in on Thursday evening and have a 'Plan B' activity lined up.

Reminder for those bringing kids to the event: The factory tour does have a minimum age, for insurance purposes (assuming that we're so lucky as to get tour slots). Please be aware that the minimum age restriction will not be lifted.[/COLOR]

My son and I are flying in from Texas and would like a tour.

Factory tours are limited to 25 people, max, for insurance reasons. We also have the issue of additional tours potentially impacting production. Obviously people picking up their cars will have first priority here.
In case it helps...

I'm fine with a night tour (no machines working, just the facility with the lights on). I suspect others would be interested in this as well.

So, good news. While I don't have the times yet, I have confirmation that we will be given two factory tours for Friday and two for Sunday. The tours will be limited to 15 people each, no children under 12 (yes, I know I'm repeating myself). You'll be in a factory, so no flipflps/sandals/open toe shoes. I highly recommend that women don't wear heels (some of the steps are expanded metal with lots of holes in which to catch those heels).

I do not heave the times yet, when I do I'll set up a wiki so people can sign up - will also ask that people understand if first slots are given to the non-locals. And I'll give a date that we change the lists to first-come, first-serve (so that locals can count on their slots).

Yay. Tesla made this happen.

So, good news. While I don't have the times yet, I have confirmation that we will be given two factory tours for Friday and two for Sunday. The tours will be limited to 15 people each, no children under 12 (yes, I know I'm repeating myself). You'll be in a factory, so no flipflps/sandals/open toe shoes. I highly recommend that women don't wear heels (some of the steps are expanded metal with lots of holes in which to catch those heels).

I do not heave the times yet, when I do I'll set up a wiki so people can sign up - will also ask that people understand if first slots are given to the non-locals. And I'll give a date that we change the lists to first-come, first-serve (so that locals can count on their slots).

Yay. Tesla made this happen.

Horray! So I don't need steel toes either? Double YEAH!

I want a slot.

Can men wear heels? Would you recommend that? :tongue:

Thanks for arranging this with Tesla, my wife and I would definitely be interested in a factory tour.

Also thanks to Tesla and thanks to the locals for understanding and letting out of town people have first choice

Last edited:
Bonnie:

I'm local and will get the factory tour this Monday with my pickup/delivery, so you can hit your spreadsheet and scratch us off the list.

Thanks again for all of your efforts (and the other organizers)..should be a great weekend.

I set up a wiki here: TESLIVE Factory Tours - Signup

Confirmed factory tours at Tesla on Friday, July 12th and Sunday, July 14th. Two tours each of those days, 15 people max per tour. While exact times have yet to be determined, the two Friday tour times will fall between noon and 4pm, the two Sunday tour times will fall between 10am and 2pm.

Note that the factory will not be running on Sunday.
That will make it easier to hear your tour guide, you will see lots of interesting stuff - but you will not see cars rolling off the production line.

• No children under 12.
  • No photography.
  • Wear appropriate footwear (no flipflops/sandals/open toe shoes/heels).

Priority will be given to Non-local/Roadster or Model S owner/no previous factory tour. I'll update the list by priority until next Friday, May 17th, 6pm PST. After that, any open slots on the tour signup lists will be first-come, first-serve. (And if I don't find your name on the TESLIVE registration list, you will be removed from the tour. Sorry!)

Last edited:
Bonnie,
First, TY for your (and others involved) efforts in organizing and arranging this with TM.

One quick question, I added my name and info for the 2nd Friday tour. I want to bring one other person with me. Should I have numbered myself 3&4. Or is the 15 person limit allowed with additional people (family/friends)?

Thank you.

[FONT=&quot] 85kWh, Green Metallic Paint, Tech Package, Tan Leather, Lacewood, Panoramic Roof, 19" Wheels, Air Suspension, Studio Sound – Finalized 4/19/13 – Delivery Button 5/8/13 – Delivery Window June 5-19 (East Coast) [/FONT]

Bonnie,
First, TY for your (and others involved) efforts in organizing and arranging this with TM.

One quick question, I added my name and info for the 2nd Friday tour. I want to bring one other person with me. Should I have numbered myself 3&4. Or is the 15 person limit allowed with additional people (family/friends)?

Thank you.

[FONT=&amp] 85kWh, Green Metallic Paint, Tech Package, Tan Leather, Lacewood, Panoramic Roof, 19" Wheels, Air Suspension, Studio Sound – Finalized 4/19/13 – Delivery Button 5/8/13 – Delivery Window June 5-19 (East Coast) [/FONT]

Put down the other people you want to bring by listing as "guest/ NJ Plugin" (or something like that). If we have people who cannot go and would be high priority, I'll ask for some flexibility.

Thanks for asking :).

What? No cameras? How can I shoot the raptors in the kitchen?
Raptor sml.jpg