TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Factory HID headlights!

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by JoshG, Nov 29, 2011.

1. JoshG

JoshG Member

Not sure if this is news or not, but the final 5 roadsters off the line have Tesla-designed (sourced?) high-intensity discharge headlights in them. There's one on the floor in Menlo Park. It's so much brighter... I'm jealous.

But maybe this means that this will soon show up on the Roadster Upgrades page?? One can hope.

Anyone have one of those lucky cars and can comment on the performance of the headlights?

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

You can actually order them now as an upgrade. They're not on the upgrade page for some reason but they cost $2,500 (I think I have that right, can't find the e-mail). I'm getting them installed next week. Can't wait.

3. samcarney

samcarney Sam C

I have been on the list to get the upgrade for a few months. Mine will be installed this Wednesday. I saw them at the Oakbrook, IL grand opening on a Roadster in the parking lot. They are very bright and no warmup time.

4. augkuo

augkuo Member

Thanks for the update! Since my car's there already, I asked Jake to put them in -

Augie

5. Thumper

Thumper Member

Is there any likelihood of them going into the Model S?

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The Model S Beta that we rode in had much brighter headlights than the Roadster, so I think it's safe to assume...

7. dwegmull

dwegmull 2013 Model S 85

I was at the Menlo Park store this morning (for a nail in one of my almost completely worn out rear tire, so I got new tires).
    I got confirmation that they are ready to do the upgrades and that the parts are "on their way". I will have mine done during my annual service in a couple of weeks.

8. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Mine were installed today, but I won't get my Roadster back until tomorrow...can't wait!

In the pic that my Ranger sent, they looked great...Mark also said they fit perfectly! :smile:

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Cool! Post pics!

10. dsm363

Nice. I get mine Monday! Hope they're worth it but sounds like they provide much better light so I'm looking forward to it. I also ordered carbon fiber door sills so that'll compete to look of the car I think.

11. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Some times the little things...

The Rangers are trying to get my Homelink working...a few of the Canadian Roadsters are having this problem...I'm letting them keep the car for the weekend to further the cause / take one for the team so I'll try to get some pics when I get the car back on Monday.

12. augkuo

augkuo Member

Factory HID's installed! Anyone want my old headlights?

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Hopefully they'll figure it out. During my last service, Mark tried to replace my Homelink because of problems with my FOBs. He had the same problem - couldn't get the new one to work. Luckily he reprogrammed the new FOBs for the old module, repositioned the antenna, and everything worked great.

Maybe there's supposed to be a different version for Canadian cars, and they forgot to give them different part numbers? The reason I say that is the Canadian cars have an immobilizer feature (required by legislation), but the American cars don't.

Anyway I expect I'll upgrade my lights next time the car is serviced. No rush since I don't winter drive my car.

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

What a strange concept...

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Not if you live where I do. I've posted this picture before...

attachment.php?attachmentid=3550&d=1322879764.jpg

Kinda scary driving a Roadster when the snow banks are over twice the height of the car.

Attached Files:

16. dsm363

Got the new HID lights installed today. They look much, much brighter in the garage at least. I'll take the car out tonight but they look nice.

17. dsm363

Wow! What a big difference. I can see at least twice as far. The upgrade is well worth it.

18. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

I can't believe no one has posted pics yet!!! :eek:

#350 will have Xenon eyes tomorrow. I'll post pics on Thursday (next time I will be near the car)

These have been in testing for a long time. They were in a VP car all the way back in 2009... I love knowing that due diligence was completed...

19. dsm363

Here's a picture of the light. It's much brighter and a whiter light than the bulb it replaces (I believe he said it was 6500K).
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3578&d=1323190857.jpg

Attached Files:

20. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

New housing I assume?