Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory hitch DIY cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think the $1,300 that Tesla charges for the tow package is unreasonable. But I’ve always been a handy guy, and I’ve never paid someone to install something as simple as a hitch for me. So I got the bright idea to order the parts myself and save some money.

The service center wanted to put together the parts list and send me an invoice. I had to laugh once I saw the total…NOPE! Tesla is very proud of their hitch bar.

2AF43996-0040-4503-87FB-2B9133F9387E.jpeg

If you install a hitch diy you won't have the software for tow mode and I assume you won't have trailer lights.

I installed a hitch and light module on my BMW X5. It would be nicer to have it stock though.

I bought the MY hitch for 1k new.

Problem with towing or even hitch accessories is it hurts range.

If you install a hitch diy you won't have the software for tow mode and I assume you won't have trailer lights.

I don’t think that’s right. The Tesla rep at the service center that I spoke with told me they charge to update the firmware, but it was available for DIY. Another thread on this forum suggested that the software detects the wiring harness and enables it without any kind of an update.

Right now, I’m waiting to hear back about getting just the factory harness. I don’t mind an aftermarket hitch as long as it fits under the covers, but I prefer to not disturb the factory wiring.

Reactions: MacO512
I don’t think that’s right. The Tesla rep at the service center that I spoke with told me they charge to update the firmware, but it was available for DIY. Another thread on this forum suggested that the software detects the wiring harness and enables it without any kind of an update.

Right now, I’m waiting to hear back about getting just the factory harness. I don’t mind an aftermarket hitch as long as it fits under the covers, but I prefer to not disturb the factory wiring.
Interesting, I must have misremembered that software part. Surprised Tesla would allow that.

Did you ever get confirmation about this from Tesla? Is it possible to get the software update with a DIY installed hitch?

I didn't. To be honest, the person I spoke with didn't seem to know what she was talking about. It took a five-minute conversation for them to figure out how to put together a part quote for me after directing me to the online catalog.

After seeing the other thread that I referenced above mention the towing mode show up after the factory harness was plugged in, I don't think the firmware update was required. I think it was just another example of them being confused at my unusual request. In fairness, they can't get a lot of calls from DIY-minded folks about this kind of thing.