Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory installed PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking at a PPF kit online for the rear fenders/rocker and the website said cars after May 2021 might have it installed already? Is that the case? I want to avoid rock chips as I've seen this area pretty beat up on other Model Ys

I heard the same and asked about it when I took delivery in September. I was told if its not installed at the Factory, the service department was to install it, front mud flaps and lower ppf. Luckily for me, the service department was "out" of ppf and they marked it for completion during the next service....I did have front mud flats.

will be taking delivery of MY7LR tomorrow. Called about some paperwork and the support person said all Model Ys come with PPF on front bumper and door panels (bottom area I think) but no mud flaps. Not sure how true, but I guess I will find out tomorrow.

will be taking delivery of MY7LR tomorrow. Called about some paperwork and the support person said all Model Ys come with PPF on front bumper and door panels (bottom area I think) but no mud flaps. Not sure how true, but I guess I will find out tomorrow.
They do not put PPF on the bumper. In some extreme climates such as Canada they include front mud flaps and a small piece of ppf on the rear bottom corner of the back doors (the same flaps and ppf they sell in their online store).

Tesla has created a great deal of confusion for Model Y customers. After receiving complaints about paint literally being sand blasted off of the rear doors Tesla started to include the Tesla front mud flaps and PPF for the rear doors with the Model Y in certain regions of the US, Canada. Tesla has not defined these regions, the program may be a pilot. The thing to do is contact your sales advisor, local service center and inquire whether new Tesla Model Y vehicles being delivered come with the mud flaps and the PPF.

You can install the front mud flaps any time, this takes all of 10 minutes. Installation requires only a flat head screw driver to pop out the factory clips in the wheel well liner (Tesla provides longer clips for use with the mud flaps.) The PPF film installation takes longer, maybe 30 minutes per door. The PPF can't be installed when it is too cold, not below freezing.

If the PPF is out of stock at the Tesla store you can purchase a similar PPF kit from Abstract Ocean. Paint Protection Kits (rear Fenders/Rocker)

I believe that you can now also purchase a similar PPF kit from Amazon. Amazon.com

Last edited:
Got mine in August. Had front flaps installed, but no rear PPF. Went to parts department at nearest service center and they said my car should have had it installed, apologized profusely, and installed for free on the spot.

If you received your 2021 after April and don’t have both installed, I would contact Tesla or your SA and have them check.

I helped my friends delivery for their MY LR today. It had front bumper and rear ppf installed. Examined it closely and could see the ppf edges tucked in. I went around other model Y’s and 4 of them had it installed.

Maybe this is part of the hiked up price too alongside with the demand.

I helped my friends delivery for their MY LR today. It had front bumper and rear ppf installed. Examined it closely and could see the ppf edges tucked in. I went around other model Y’s and 4 of them had it installed.

Maybe this is part of the hiked up price too alongside with the demand

They do not come with PPF on the front bumper. This has been talked about in here numerous times. You’re likely mistaking the plastic mold lines as the edges of PPF.

I can’t imagine trying to drive at night in the rain with 5% on the front side windows. Mine are 18% to match the factory rears and I have to put down the windows at night if I am parallel parking so I don’t curb the rims.

Tesla has created a great deal of confusion for Model Y customers. After receiving complaints about paint literally being sand blasted off of the rear doors Tesla started to include the Tesla front mud flaps and PPF for the rear doors with the Model Y in certain regions of the US, Canada. Tesla has not defined these regions, the program may be a pilot. The thing to do is contact your sales advisor, local service center and inquire whether new Tesla Model Y vehicles being delivered come with the mud flaps and the PPF.

You can install the front mud flaps any time, this takes all of 10 minutes. Installation requires only a flat head screw driver to pop out the factory clips in the wheel well liner (Tesla provides longer clips for use with the mud flaps.) The PPF film installation takes longer, maybe 30 minutes per door. The PPF can't be installed when it is too cold, not below freezing.

If the PPF is out of stock at the Tesla store you can purchase a similar PPF kit from Abstract Ocean. Paint Protection Kits (rear Fenders/Rocker)

I believe that you can now also purchase a similar PPF kit from Amazon. Amazon.com

Glad I found this chat about the PPF. My SA just confirmed that the PPF is only near the bottom of the rear door. So where exactly should I be adding PPF to my MY? I don't want to go overboard, just want to protect the paint. I live in the countryside in southern Quebec so end up on a lot of dirt roads with rocks flying. But also lots of salt and dirt on the roads from Dec to April. Can anyone share some advice? And PPF can't be installed below freezing, even in a heated garage? Thx for helping me out.

Glad I found this chat about the PPF. My SA just confirmed that the PPF is only near the bottom of the rear door. So where exactly should I be adding PPF to my MY? I don't want to go overboard, just want to protect the paint. I live in the countryside in southern Quebec so end up on a lot of dirt roads with rocks flying. But also lots of salt and dirt on the roads from Dec to April. Can anyone share some advice? And PPF can't be installed below freezing, even in a heated garage? Thx for helping me out.
You'll have to talk to an installer to find the info about installation temps, but most people would suggest you do the full frontal, which is hood, bumper, front fenders and headlights. If you really want the bare minimum the front bumper is ok, but you leave the hood exposed. You should definitely put on mudflaps on the front. With the PPF that comes on the rear door it should prevent most of of the nicks that will happen, but if you wanted to be absolutely sure you could get the entire door done in PPF.

Reactions: cgell