TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Factory is shut for the week of July 27 for retooling for model X?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by throwawayaccount, Jul 28, 2015.

1. throwawayaccount

I understand this will be met with the same skepticism as my previous post, and that's ok with me. But, for those that believe....production is going into high gear next week.

2. spentan

spentan Active Member

Awesome, Tell us more

srs

3. Lonnie123

Lonnie123 Member

Certainly seems logical and in a proper time frame. Hopefully its true, people have literally been waiting years.

4. commasign

commasign Active Member

Release candidate cars, demo cars, or actual production (Founder Edition) cars?

5. lucy

lucy bluehair

6. deonb

deonb Active Member

Umm...

So do the sigs not have any choice in which colors and options their vehicles will come in? Or will they literally have to make an overnight decision?

7. Adm

Adm Active Member

If in fact this information is true, the first batch of Sig owners could have been asked about the color and asked to keep their mouths shut.

8. Newb

Newb Member

If something sounds too good to be true, more often than not, it isn't true.

If anything, production of release candidates / demo cars is going into first or second gear...I don't believe actual customer (or founder's series) cars are going into production next week.

9. Larken

Larken Member

Where did you get this info? Can't find any info of such sort other than here.

10. deonb

deonb Active Member

There would be no way to keep such a secret with so many people. Someone is likely to create an anonymous account on TMC just to spill the beans.

Oh, wait...

11. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

#11 Yggdrasill, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    I think this rumor is likely accurate. Thugh the definition of "high gear" is quite fudgible.

I would think they would make a series of release candidate vehicles, and if they are good enough, they will be used for demo purposes, while if they aren't good enough they will be crushed (minus all reusable parts).

When they then have the machinery running smoothly, they get the founders series completed, have a handover event and simultanous design studio reveal, and then they start making signature vehicles.

That's how I would do it, at least.

(If this is accurate, we'll see the design studio in 2-3 weeks.)

12. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

This is the same OP who 'revealed' back in June that Model S 'recent orders' were already being fitted with body colored nose cones. Just sayin'

Tesla using the summer shutdown to prepare for Model X is no surprise. All the indications we have from Tesla suggest we'll see Model X by the the end of September. Production would not leap from zero into high gear. If production was about to go into high gear I'd have been asked to configure already, that hasn't happened yet.

13. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

The exact quote was "I'm not as sure on the timing but I think recently placed orders will be getting this change." We still haven't seen the front of the Model X without camo, and there's no way in hell Tesla would show the Model S with a body color nose cone before the Model X reveal, if that is the route they want to go. So it remains to be seen if that rumor is accurate.

There can be as little as one day between the design studio being launched and non-founder production vehicles starting to get built, but obviously there'll be a ramp-up.

Anyway, I'm not saying that one should trust "throwawayaccount" blindly, take his claims with a big scoop of salt. But they could be accurate.

14. pmadflyer

pmadflyer Member

Aren't tours not available that week also?

15. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Of COURSE they're getting ready for X production. Throwaway states the obvious. If they weren't doing something like this soon, then I'd have to wonder what exactly Elon means when he says the X is 'on track'. I suspect that preparations are in 'high gear' next week, not actual production.

16. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Seems like a throwaway account to me for what that's worth.

17. vgrinshpun

vgrinshpun Active Member

#17 vgrinshpun, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    The part where he states that factory is shut down this week is not obvious...

I doubt that you missed this part of his post, so it seems that the fact that you are not dismissing this statement might be indicate that the factory is indeed curently shut down...

..Or I might be trying to read too much between the lines here?? (Which is shocking for any thread dealing with the Model X production prognostication)

18. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Why would they shut the factory down when they have two lines to build cars on (original line and the new S/X line)?

19. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I think you're reading far too much into my words. My only point is that IF the factory is shut down (and it wouldn't be completely shut down, even the OP knows better than to say that), that's all normal action at this point in the timeline.

You don't go from getting a line ready for production to 'high gear' in a week. In movies maybe. Not in real life. Ever.

20. Yuri_G

Yuri_G Member

Seems to be consistent with the previous info that factory tours are not available this week and next week.

Factory tours