Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got my jumper wires and hooked up the second FM amplifier.
IMG_20220728_1607357.jpgIMG_20220728_1607422.jpg

I stuck on one station and tested the signal strength. I noticed about a 30% increase in quality (or 30% decrease of noise) with the second FM amplifier. The length of the jumpers didn't affect this, though for simplicity I recommend getting 11" jumpers or a bit longer (I had to use two 9" jumper wires).

I drove around on a bumpy road so I know the rats nest of extra wires don't make any noise... yet.

IMG_20220728_1657242.jpg

I used a single cable tie from a huge kit of them to keep the wires in place. Not worth it but whatever.

I didn't take a photo of this but I used the bottom bolt of the two right bolts to mount the amplifier. I reccomend using a washer though since the amplifier rotates with the bolt, doh!

I get all the fm signals I should in my area per this website, with 3/4 of the distant channels not showing up.

I checked my latest software update for the SiriusXM commands:

IMG_20220728_1704170.jpg

Still the same message. One day...

solid work
View attachment 833930View attachment 833931

I stuck on one station and tested the signal strength. I noticed about a 30% increase in quality (or 30% decrease of noise) with the second FM amplifier. The length of the jumpers didn't affect this, though for simplicity I recommend getting 11" jumpers or a bit longer (I had to use two 9" jumper wires).

I drove around on a bumpy road so I know the rats nest of extra wires don't make any noise... yet.

View attachment 833932

I used a single cable tie from a huge kit of them to keep the wires in place. Not worth it but whatever.

I didn't take a photo of this but I used the bottom bolt of the two right bolts to mount the amplifier. I reccomend using a washer though since the amplifier rotates with the bolt, doh!

I get all the fm signals I should in my area per this website, with 3/4 of the distant channels not showing up.

View attachment 833933

solid work

I have been lurking here hoping to see a cookbook with a parts list and pictures. I'm more interested in installing in my 2020 MY which appears to be the easier use-case than in my 2018 M3.

I checked with the Colorado Springs Service Center on part 1143711-00-C and received this reply:

"Is this for your Model S, if so our parts desk is requesting a VIN, please. In order for us to process an order for any part, we need to create a Service Visit, therefor we need a VIN. This is how I can assist you with this. This is coming from our Parts desk."

I was up front about having both an M3 and an MY. I find it rather disappointing that it is this difficult to buy a part.

Thank you to all the great contributors. Keep up the good work everyone!

I have been lurking here hoping to see a cookbook with a parts list and pictures. I'm more interested in installing in my 2020 MY which appears to be the easier use-case than in my 2018 M3.

I checked with the Colorado Springs Service Center on part 1143711-00-C and received this reply:

"Is this for your Model S, if so our parts desk is requesting a VIN, please. In order for us to process an order for any part, we need to create a Service Visit, therefor we need a VIN. This is how I can assist you with this. This is coming from our Parts desk."

I was up front about having both an M3 and an MY. I find it rather disappointing that it is this difficult to buy a part.

Thank you to all the great contributors. Keep up the good work everyone!
Both models are easy but the model y already has the dual farka meaning 1 less adapter to buy and full strength FM signal without dual amplifier mod. True plug and play

@PhilCaps, would you mind posting a picture of where you mounted the antenna in the MY?
Pics attached. Sorry for the bad drawing haha. MY only has 2 panels to cover trunk. The right side already has tracks for other wires so I just ran it on the tracks and then double sided taped to glass (green circle). You can't see the antenna from driver/passenger seat and it's barely noticeable from outside esp with the stock tint in the trunk glass.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220728-215642.png
    Screenshot_20220728-215642.png
    588.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG-20220724-WA0009~2.jpeg
    IMG-20220724-WA0009~2.jpeg
    445.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG-20220724-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20220724-WA0009.jpeg
    450 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: Jiver
So to recap, for my '21 with the Atom CPU, I just need part 1143711-00-C, an OEM SiriusXM antenna, and a Fakra adapter? Do I need the FM amplifier as well?

Those parts aren't too too much over the cost of a standalone radio and FM adapter and I would much rather have the OEM look and feel.

View attachment 833930View attachment 833931

View attachment 833932

View attachment 833933

outstanding. now I just need a SC to respond to me. pretty soon I'm gonna start checking ones farther away since Temecula still hasn't responded...

oh, and my car. I still need my car back.

So to recap, for my '21 with the Atom CPU, I just need part 1143711-00-C, an OEM SiriusXM antenna, and a Fakra adapter? Do I need the FM amplifier as well?

Those parts aren't too too much over the cost of a standalone radio and FM adapter and I would much rather have the OEM look and feel.

two fakra adapters on the model 3...one for the satellite antenna, one to convert the single fakra from the antenna to the dual fakra on the x tuner.

Reactions: ElectricNerd
2022 M3

One update: I have installed the FAKRA to MCX adapter from connecting my Model X (B tuner) to my Sirius brand antenna. No change. Channel listings and song title come through but no audio from SiriusXM (still just hear the last tuned FM station).

I think we need someone with one of those diagnostic tools (Loki, T-DIAG) or someone with a friend in the service center to take a look at the gateway settings (i.e. how the car has been initialized). There is one gateway setting of interest "xmAntInstalled" that may be set as True for the MCU2 cars as an oversight, but set to false in MCU Ryzen cars. A rooted car may be of use here too, but those are even more rare.

This also means that this setting may kill XM radio in older cars in the future as Tesla is known to audit these settings and remotely change them (as in the case of salvaged vehicles). There still could be other reasons for this, but considering the MCU Ryzen (MCU v3, MCU AMD etc) does accept XM in the new Model S Plaids, it seems likely to be this configuration unless we have a breakthrough.

I think we need someone with one of those diagnostic tools (Loki, T-DIAG) or someone with a friend in the service center to take a look at the gateway settings (i.e. how the car has been initialized). There is one gateway setting of interest "xmAntInstalled" that may be set as True for the MCU2 cars as an oversight, but set to false in MCU Ryzen cars. A rooted car may be of use here too, but those are even more rare.

This also means that this setting may kill XM radio in older cars in the future as Tesla is known to audit these settings and remotely change them (as in the case of salvaged vehicles). There still could be other reasons for this, but considering the MCU Ryzen (MCU v3, MCU AMD etc) does accept XM in the new Model S Plaids, it seems likely to be this configuration unless we have a breakthrough.

you might be onto something here. found this on github...

Code:
RADIO_alertXMAntennaNotConnected,false

the double negative is weird, but "antenna not connected" being set to false means the MCU thinks there *is* an antenna connected.

they don't have a dump there for MCU3 though, so we can't verify that part.

Reactions: PhilCaps