Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't want to overstate my findings as I basically never listened to FM and my radio-locator results seemed to correlate with my tuning, but my immediate impression was similar. I also didn't want to make people feel like they needed to follow my completionist silliness, lol.

But thanks for corroborating my simple fix and demonstrating it too.

I do find it pretty funny that Starlink might be included in our standard premium data subscription, but we'd probably have to do yet another retrofit to receive a signal. By the end of the decade our cars are gonna be filled with every signal receiving device known to man.

Reactions: crackers8199
Spoilers: I was wrong about one thing, sort of; the "global" list I was talking about still exists under recents and favorites when you have the menu partially minimized.
IMG_20220827_0330464.jpg
So now that we have another inductee in our little experimental group I decided to do more science. As a disclaimer, all my photos are blurry garbage here, I know.

So there were several instances of people discussing SiriusXM not working without LTE. If that is indeed the case we are leading people on a pointless solution; we could just use the browser if it's LTE only.

So I decided to try blocking the LTE. The first thing I did was add layers of aluminum foil on the passenger side mirror. According to the internet there is an LTE antenna in the passenger side... or the driver side... and according to the service manual it apparently doesn't exist.

IMG_20220827_0238407.jpg

After I did this, I had no results, so I did the same to the driver side. Same story. Then I decided it must only be the passenger side because a youtube video from the US showed it.
IMG_20220827_0221297.jpg

No dice. Then I decided to try to disconnect the antennas and let me tell you, it sucked. I could only just barely pop open the panels without tools, and I wasn't going to rip out the perfectly good cable ties just for this, so I used my tool to disconnect the fakra tab and pulled from the wire with my other hand.

IMG_20220827_0228241.jpgIMG_20220827_0240547.jpg

After disconnecting the passenger side, I quickly deduced there are LTE antennas ON BOTH SIDES. Google, why you gotta do me dirty like that?

After disconnecting the antennas, somehow I was still receiving an LTE signal.

IMG_20220827_0253318.jpg

This car is bonkers. Is it using the frame as an antenna? The auxilary wifi antenna in the headliner? The e-antenna under the glovebox? Who knows. I drove outside of town in the hopes of losing signal and lo' and behold, I finally got properly, fully disconnected from the mothership.

IMG_20220827_0330492.jpg

I was still able to receive SiriusXM audio but when I switched to FM, I wasn't able to tune back in. My fears seemed to have been confirmed, that the car needs LTE to get the channel list.

IMG_20220827_0257161.jpg

I tried restarting and tuning to sources, disabling and enabling sources, but nothing worked. I had SiriusXM selected but no audio. I decided to experiment some more and see what conditions will kill it. I connected to WiFI and I was able to get the channel list again.

IMG_20220827_0309416.jpg

I was able to tune back and forth with no issues. I disabled WiFI and it still worked. I restarted the car, and the tuning stuck. The only time I wasn't able to tune in without data was after selecting another source. It basically resets the SiriusXM app.

So is the solution never tuning out of SiriusXM? That would suck.

Remember the first image? Go back to it. Notice how the SiriusXM channels appeared in the recents and favorites list? Well selecting those channels gets it back into tuning.

IMG_20220827_0324545.jpg

Not only that, you can add favorites and scroll through it still as Crackers had said. They won't appear in the menu but you can scan through them nonetheless.

As long as you have one item in that list you can get back into hearing SiriusXM, even with dead LTE and WIFI. It's unfortunate that this is the only method of doing so without data, but hopefully this will help all OEM SiriusXM users actually tune in anywhere in the world. Just don't factory reset the car or nuke your profile, lol.

Tldr: Go to your recents and favorites list by the third icon from the right in your audio menu. You can select all your favorite SiriusXM sources there, even without data.

Bonus Info: I found in my experiments that blocking the antenna did not prevent it from tuning back in without data. The buffer seems to be 7 seconds after full signal of an indeterminate time. I guess the buffer gets drained while driving and moving around, hence dropping while under overpasses.

Last edited:
As long as you have one item in that list you can get back into hearing SiriusXM, even with dead LTE and WIFI. It's unfortunate that this is the only method of doing so without data, but hopefully this will help all OEM SiriusXM users actually tune in anywhere in the world. Just don't factory reset the car or nuke your profile, lol.

Tldr: Go to your recents and favorites list by the third icon from the right in your audio menu. You can select all your favorite SiriusXM sources there, even without data.

this is great stuff. awesome find.

another tip: you can get to that view also by just dragging the radio window to "half" screen (not all the way to the bottom but slightly above it). i've been wondering if pressing that recents button is what caused the bug i saw with favorites last week, as that's the only other thing i did that was out of the ordinary (normally i go to the favorites view by just dragging down rather than hitting that button). i just haven't gotten a chance to test it yet...

one other point / question for you: are your favorites showing up there? mine don't...my FM favorites show up in that list, my spotify/streaming recents show up, but no SXM stations show up except for ones i've listened to recently (for 30 seconds or longer, as i mentioned earlier in the thread). stations i've just added as favorites don't show up there (unless they're all the way at the end of the list and i just haven't scrolled far enough to the right to see them)...

What I meant was that you can't get UI access to your favorites, but by selecting one SiriusXM channel in your recents, you can tune in. From there, you can add your favorites by scanning through, removing and adding again (unstar-ing and star-ing). That way you can still get some usability without needing to scan through the entire channel list every time.

What I meant was that you can't get UI access to your favorites, but by selecting one SiriusXM channel in your recents, you can tune in. From there, you can add your favorites by scanning through, removing and adding again (unstar-ing and star-ing). That way you can still get some usability without needing to scan through the entire channel list every time.

does it scroll through all of your existing favorites in that case, or does it go sequentially? i've never been able to get it to go through the favorites unless i've added two or more...although i guess if you can at least get it to go sequentially, it doesn't really matter. you can still get to any channel you want, it'd just be a little more painful...

note to self: if on a road trip and service drops, remove all other sources from the list so that i can't ever switch out of SXM to avoid all of this nonsense.

edit: i wonder if we could simulate this and do some more testing by keeping it on wifi and then just blocking all traffic from the car at the router, so that it appears as if there's no signal. does the car drop back to LTE if on wifi and no internet?

does it scroll through all of your existing favorites in that case, or does it go sequentially? i've never been able to get it to go through the favorites unless i've added two or more...although i guess if you can at least get it to go sequentially, it doesn't really matter. you can still get to any channel you want, it'd just be a little more painful...

At first it will be sequential. But if you re-add them (at least two as you discovered) it will switch to go between your favorites.
note to self: if on a road trip and service drops, remove all other sources from the list so that i can't ever switch out of SXM to avoid all of this nonsense.
Well I hope you don't have to do that. Ideally on a long road trip you'll be regularly tuned in on SiriusXM so you won't lose its place. I'm going to double check the list to see if the only way to access it is partially minimized though...

edit: i wonder if we could simulate this and do some more testing by keeping it on wifi and then just blocking all traffic from the car at the router, so that it appears as if there's no signal. does the car drop back to LTE if on wifi and no internet?

I guess I could do that but I don't understand to what end? I am pretty sure the last time I did this (it was a WIFI with a captive sign in page so no traffic was allowed despite being connected) it never disconnected from WIFI. The issue isn't switching data sources, but switching out of SiriusXM with no data. SiriusXM functions fine without a data connection but the UI isn't designed to pull the channel list from the tuner for whatever reason. You can still do the workaround with the recents and favorites list but it still won't have any thumbnails; just the channel, song, and artist name.

I guess I could do that but I don't understand to what end?

to see if there's any other weirdness we might not have seen yet...hopefully not, but at this point, who knows?

all i really want them to change right now is the ability to keep the favorites screen up when i pick a channel. ideally they'd let me cycle thru favorites via the wheel at all times like we talked about, but if the damn favorites screen would just stay up when i pick a channel that would serve the same purpose. it's incredibly annoying that if i pick a favorite channel and then want to go back and change to a different one, i have to either hit back or go back to the favorites list because tapping on a channel immediately brings up the stupid "related content" page.

actually, i take that back...the related content page isn't stupid so much as getting to it from the favorites page is stupid. if i pick a channel from the "all channels" list, that page makes sense...but if i'm in my favorites list, i probably know what i'm looking for and don't need to know what is related to the current channel.

even more confusing is that if you pick a channel and end up on the "related content" page, and then use the scroll wheel to either move between channels or favorites, the related content page doesn't change to match the new channel. so now i'm on some completely random channel not at all related to what the screen is showing me (aside from the little now playing bar at the top of the screen)...the entire UI is just weird. that being said, it's still worth it compared to having the external tuner, IMO. hoping they'll eventually fix some of these things and we'll benefit even though the fixes will be directed at S/X owners.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArtK and ph0ton
to see if there's any other weirdness we might not have seen yet...hopefully not, but at this point, who knows?
Lol, well it was a PITA but I tested it. At least using xfinity's opaque "pause device" option, the Tesla silently reconnects to LTE. Nothing interesting to report. I think that ends my saga of testing data connection permutations. :p
...the entire UI is just weird.
Agreed.

It seems my theory about the recents and favorites was correct, after testing. It will keep them on the "Recents and Favorites" list if you have entirely no connection but when I was testing it with data, only one channel survived rebooting in that list. Adding a channel to your favorites again adds it to the list, enabling you to scroll through.

I don't know why the data connection kills the favorites after restart but we'll have to assume that is going to happen 99% of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArtK
Lol, forget what I said about the favorites not persisting after restarting with active data. I found that if you switch driver profiles, suddenly the siriusXM channels get sorted to the beginning of the "Recents and Favorites" list and you can scan through them. I even performed an experiment, scrolling on boot (goes to the sequential channel), scrolled back, switched profiles back and forth, and scrolled again (scans through favorites).

Well there you go.

Lol, well it was a PITA but I tested it. At least using xfinity's opaque "pause device" option, the Tesla silently reconnects to LTE. Nothing interesting to report. I think that ends my saga of testing data connection permutations. :p

Agreed.

It seems my theory about the recents and favorites was correct, after testing. It will keep them on the "Recents and Favorites" list if you have entirely no connection but when I was testing it with data, only one channel survived rebooting in that list. Adding a channel to your favorites again adds it to the list, enabling you to scroll through.

I don't know why the data connection kills the favorites after restart but we'll have to assume that is going to happen 99% of the time.
So, out of curiosity, how does one do the “line-through-the-text” thing?

This has been the most innovative thread in the whole forum, and I applaud the participants 👏🏻

Lol, forget what I said about the favorites not persisting after restarting with active data. I found that if you switch driver profiles, suddenly the siriusXM channels get sorted to the beginning of the "Recents and Favorites" list and you can scan through them. I even performed an experiment, scrolling on boot (goes to the sequential channel), scrolled back, switched profiles back and forth, and scrolled again (scans through favorites).

Well there you go.

I'm going to bed now, but if you've figured out the key to get it to always cycle through favorites you get a super gold star. I never even thought about trying to change driver profiles and see what that might do...

• Funny
Reactions: ph0ton
So, out of curiosity, how does one do the “line-through-the-text” thing?
1661597345154.png

This icon should appear in the text entry window. If it doesn't click the three dots and select it. To change previously written text just highlight and click.

I never even thought about trying to change driver profiles and see what that might do...
I suspected the reboot process killed the state info for the SiriusXM since it survives everything else. I deduced that changing profiles would keep the state preserved through the reboot process and then discovered it will reinitialize normally on switching profiles back and forth, even if you don't change profiles before boot. I hope it works for you :)

Reactions: ArtK

Well there you go.

unless I'm misunderstanding what you did, this didn't work for me. I just got into the car and switched to my wife's profile first, then back to mine...my SXM favorites don't show in the recents and favorites list. it starts with radio favorites, then tune in favorites, and that's all I see.

edit: nevermind, figured it out. if only works for new favorites...so I had to go back in and unstar and re-star all of them, then switch profiles so it would save. when I went back to my profile, there they all were...

if this holds up, you sir, are my hero.

edit 2: it did not hold up. went into Lowes, came back out...favorites were still there. sitting at a light tried to use the wheel to skip, and it was back to sequential. they're not showing in the recents list anymore either. stopped at second store, flipped driver profiles...still didn't show back up.

if yours are sticking, we gotta figure out what you're doing differently that I'm missing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
the one strange thing here that is different from when this has reset in the past is that it reset in the middle of a drive, not right when I first sat back down in the driver's seat after being in the store. it definitely was still scrolling thru favorites at first, then randomly went back to sequential and all of the favorites disappeared from the half screen list.

unfortunately, I had completely collapsed the radio down to just the now playing bar at the bottom, so I don't know when they disappeared. I figured as long as I can cycle through them with the scroll wheel, I don't need to see the list...I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

• Informative
the one strange thing here that is different from when this has reset in the past is that it reset in the middle of a drive, not right when I first sat back down in the driver's seat after being in the store. it definitely was still scrolling thru favorites at first, then randomly went back to sequential and all of the favorites disappeared from the half screen list.

unfortunately, I had completely collapsed the radio down to just the now playing bar at the bottom, so I don't know when they disappeared. I figured as long as I can cycle through them with the scroll wheel, I don't need to see the list...I wonder if that had anything to do with it.
After it stopped working, did switching profiles put them back into the list?

I think you finding another trigger for the favorites reset is important but if it also breaks the re-initializing that is a clue as to what is going on.

I'll reconnect my antennas and go on a trip to see if I can replicate it too. My guess is that either closing the list breaks it, as you inferred, or that you need to add favorites through selecting it in recents instead of the SiriusXM menu (so you would need to listen to each channel for 30 seconds so it pops up in there).

After it stopped working, did switching profiles put them back into the list?

I think you finding another trigger for the favorites reset is important but if it also breaks the re-initializing that is a clue as to what is going on.

I'll reconnect my antennas and go on a trip to see if I can replicate it too. My guess is that either closing the list breaks it, as you inferred, or that you need to add favorites through selecting it in recents instead of the SiriusXM menu (so you would need to listen to each channel for 30 seconds so it pops up in there).

nope, I tried switching profiles after it reset hoping that would put them back...it did not.

• Informative