Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why don't they just add the app for the 3 like they have in the S/X?

because the model 3 radio unit doesn't have the SXM tuner or an SXM antenna.

this thread describes how to modify the 3 tuner with the board from the S/X tuner to get SXM support. the first post still gives a general idea of what needs to be done, but a lot of the details are scattered throughout the 20 pages. I'm working on a full write up with pictures and videos, but it's not done yet.

because the model 3 radio unit doesn't have the SXM tuner or an SXM antenna.

this thread describes how to modify the 3 tuner with the board from the S/X tuner to get SXM support. the first post still gives a general idea of what needs to be done, but a lot of the details are scattered throughout the 20 pages. I'm working on a full write up with pictures and videos, but it's not done yet.
Ah, I thought there was some talk about just streaming app within the system like the S and X have. Not sure why they aren't just releasing that.

The hack you can do is switch to bluetooth with nothing connected, and open the SiriusXM player in the browser. From there you can get a high-quality stream over premium connectivity.

We want to be able to tune in via satellite though.

not to mention there are some severe limitations with the browser IIRC, most notably that you can't use the map and listen at the same time.

@ph0ton 2022.24.5 is downloading as we speak. perfect timing too, because my charge port ECU from 2muchsun just came in today as well...so I won't have to bother with service mode after I install it.

as soon as I get that done, I'll see if my experience mirrors yours with the profile trick for getting the favorites to come back.

Reactions: ph0ton
I have realized that outside of terrestrial coverage in the city, it seems that I do not have a 7 second buffer in regular satellite coverage. Do you guys have any idea if there is any way that I can "reset" my buffer?

I have realized that outside of terrestrial coverage in the city, it seems that I do not have a 7 second buffer in regular satellite coverage. Do you guys have any idea if there is any way that I can "reset" my buffer?
It's continuously updating so that means your antenna is in a suboptimal location; it's getting a weak signal and unable to parse out the stream. I don't believe the rear deck is the best place; only the most convenient. It can still be in a radio "shadow" from the c pillars at certain latitudes/orientations so try mounting it outside and see if you have a buffer. If it still doesn't work then it's probably a hardware issue that we can't fix.

It's continuously updating so that means your antenna is in a suboptimal location; it's getting a weak signal and unable to parse out the stream. I don't believe the rear deck is the best place; only the most convenient. It can still be in a radio "shadow" from the c pillars at certain latitudes/orientations so try mounting it outside and see if you have a buffer. If it still doesn't work then it's probably a hardware issue that we can't fix.

where can you mount it outside and still get the cable back into the car without it looking like ass? the only place I have thought about trying is the trunk lid...

where can you mount it outside and still get the cable back into the car without it looking like ass? the only place I have thought about trying is the trunk lid...
The trunk lid is one, and if you can get cable guides, along the weather stripping on the roof. Then you need VHD to affix it to the center. But likely there will be additional wind noise. It's only meant for diagnosis in this case, not a permanent solution. For that, I think placing the antenna behind the roof crossbeam would be best; there isn't any solution to hide it though.

How is the update treating you btw?

The trunk lid is one, and if you can get cable guides, along the weather stripping on the roof. Then you need VHD to affix it to the center. But likely there will be additional wind noise. It's only meant for diagnosis in this case, not a permanent solution. For that, I think placing the antenna behind the roof crossbeam would be best; there isn't any solution to hide it though.

How is the update treating you btw?

installing it this afternoon. didn't get to it yesterday.

• Informative
Reactions: ph0ton
BOOM. GOT IT.

I set up a Tesla profile, which is new in 24.5 I believe...once I did that, I re-added all favorites. Then, I switched profiles back and forth...now I'm able to use your trick to bring them back, although it's slightly different. just toggling SXM off and back on in the sources list brings all favorites back, and now the scroll wheel cycles thru them instead of sequentially.

it'll be super annoying to have to do this every time I get into the car, but it's way better than the alternative. hopefully eventually they'll fix this completely, sooner rather than later.