Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still have more testing to do on this, but it seems you can bring the favorites back by toggling ANY source off and on, it doesn't necessarily have to be SXM.

edit: so far, can confirm - if I get in the car and just toggle radio off and back on, it brings back the SXM favorites.

edit 2: it seems that there is a limit on how many favorites can be saved. sometimes it cycles thru all of my 27 favorites, sometimes it stops at 22. haven't figured out a pattern on that yet.

Last edited:
nevermind. I just rebooted with a scroll wheel reboot and now the favorites are gone. nothing brings them back.

this entire UI is madness.

edit: not only are they gone, but I can't get them to save again via the trick we've been discussing. i am seriously ready to just put my onyx back in and call it a day...at least I know that will always work. this is insanity.

Last edited:
I still have more testing to do on this, but it seems you can bring the favorites back by toggling ANY source off and on, it doesn't necessarily have to be SXM.

edit: so far, can confirm - if I get in the car and just toggle radio off and back on, it brings back the SXM favorites.

edit 2: it seems that there is a limit on how many favorites can be saved. sometimes it cycles thru all of my 27 favorites, sometimes it stops at 22. haven't figured out a pattern on that yet.
Perhaps your extensive use of SXM is more adequate for your Onyx unit.

It would be nice to know how it may be reliable for others, but unfortunately it looks like Tesla just designed the most janky implementation possible, and then we're putting it into a car not even made with it, lol.

At least for my part I've had no issues but I have no idea what makes my car any different from yours. I guess the only other thing is I disabled easy entry a long time ago?

Perhaps your extensive use of SXM is more adequate for your Onyx unit.

if by extensive you mean trying to use favorites the way they work on the actual radio in the car and not have to look down at the screen to cycle through them, sure. if you are using FM radio, the left scroll wheel cycles through your favorites (and those favorites show up in the "recents and favorites" list). that isn't happening with SXM, because it's getting reset every time the car sleeps...and it's not just us because the Model 3 doesn't have SXM, there are examples in the S and X forums of them going through the same issues. the UI tesla designed for this is just horrific.

that's literally all we're trying to accomplish here. it's a safety issue to have to look at the screen to change favorites in the first place, let alone have to keep going back to the favorites list after you pick one.

It would be nice to know how it may be reliable for others, but unfortunately it looks like Tesla just designed the most janky implementation possible, and then we're putting it into a car not even made with it, lol.

At least for my part I've had no issues but I have no idea what makes my car any different from yours. I guess the only other thing is I disabled easy entry a long time ago?

my profile doesn't have easy entry, so that's not it either. what confuses the hell out of me is that i had it working exactly like you're describing last night...then i signed into spotify on the new tesla profile, and it all went to hell. now even signing out of spotify and/or removing it from the sources list doesn't get back the behavior you have. i'm wondering if the profiles are getting corrupted somehow.

i'm tempted to try to factory reset the car to see if that works (i already tried a service mode reinstall, that didn't do any good). i don't know of any other way to make sure i'm starting with a clean slate.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: ArtK
just spent about 20 minutes messing with the favorites, doing different things with remove and re-add from different screens...turned wifi off. I now have some of them surviving a scroll wheel reboot, but not all. I feel like that's progress, but I couldn't for the life of me tell you what I did differently for the ones that survived vs the ones that disappeared. taking a break for a bit to avoid getting too frustrated, i'll go back out and mess with it some more a bit later.

Last edited:
nevermind. now they're gone again.

i'm done messing with it...i'm getting frustrated to the point where i'm going to give myself a stroke. i'm sure there's something we're missing (otherwise yours wouldn't work where mine does not), but i guess we have no choice but to wait for tesla to (hopefully) fix it at some point. if anyone else has any thoughts, i'm all ears - but i'm out of ideas at this point. i've tried everything i can think of, short of factory resetting the car and starting over.

at least the tuner itself still works, despite the horrific UI.

64B0F51A-E0B0-4122-B4D1-8371F415B1D6.jpeg

I’ve joined the club 2018 model 3 performance. Got the plaid tuner from service center. Tired to order it when I ordered my wife’s parcel shelf and trim pieces for her model Y. At first they said invalid part number then when I said what it was they said it didn’t come up cause it wasn’t for her vehicle. I went the otc no vin required route and they said they could do it but was a separate process. They said no support or warranty for it since not meant to be in car yada yada. I said fine. Never heard anything else about it then when I went to get the parcel shelf parts I asked and they said it came it they had to associate it to another car since I don’t have S or X. Took my credit card payment and off I went. Got a eBay model 3 tuner for housing swap. Install was smooth just waiting for my jumper wires to connect the fm amp to window antenna.

That is an understatement. Drove my wife's X for a couple hours today ... It made me miss the Roady BT. I really, truly think SXM support was a summer intern's project a few years ago, and hasn't changed since.

I said in the S forum that they could make it 100% functional by just changing the scroll wheel to always cycle favorites (which apparently is how it used to work until recently) and making it so that the favorites screen stays there when you select one instead of going to related content. two things that seem so simple but yet they can't figure it out...

anyway, I finally took the pillar cover back down tonight and tried to tighten up the wiring a bit...but I've been noticing some occasional static the past few days on both FM and XM. it is particularly noticeable and bad when I back into my garage, just before the signal cuts. i am wondering if my antenna wire got damaged somewhere along the way...because I disconnected the FM antenna completely and it's still happening.

@ph0ton any thoughts on where it could be coming from if that's not the answer? I'm gonna run to best buy tomorrow at lunch to grab a second antenna to try, but I'm open to other ideas if that ends up not being the problem...

Last edited:
does not appear to be my antenna, at least not only my antenna. the new antenna helped a bit, but the static / noise are still there on occasion. it seems to only be at lower speeds, which is strange.

has anyone else that has done this mod noticed anything like that?

Reactions: Big Ern
I said in the S forum that they could make it 100% functional by just changing the scroll wheel to always cycle favorites (which apparently is how it used to work until recently) and making it so that the favorites screen stays there when you select one instead of going to related content. two things that seem so simple but yet they can't figure it out...

anyway, I finally took the pillar cover back down tonight and tried to tighten up the wiring a bit...but I've been noticing some occasional static the past few days on both FM and XM. it is particularly noticeable and bad when I back into my garage, just before the signal cuts. i am wondering if my antenna wire got damaged somewhere along the way...because I disconnected the FM antenna completely and it's still happening.

@ph0ton any thoughts on where it could be coming from if that's not the answer? I'm gonna run to best buy tomorrow at lunch to grab a second antenna to try, but I'm open to other ideas if that ends up not being the problem...
I've heard weird clipping on SiriusXM that gets resolved by a reset but that's all. I'm not sure what static you are hearing that is both on satellite and FM, because they are completely different signals. If it's white noise you are hearing, then my guess is the audio system itself is picking up some noise for some reason, probably on the amp.

My guess the clipping on my side is due to dropped packets over the ethernet as I really mangled that connector and didn't do any TLC for the exposed copper.

Reactions: crackers8199
I've heard weird clipping on SiriusXM that gets resolved by a reset but that's all. I'm not sure what static you are hearing that is both on satellite and FM, because they are completely different signals. If it's white noise you are hearing, then my guess is the audio system itself is picking up some noise for some reason, probably on the amp.

My guess the clipping on my side is due to dropped packets over the ethernet as I really mangled that connector and didn't do any TLC for the exposed copper.

what i'm hearing could be described as "clipping" (at least i can see that as a possible description) so perhaps that's it, as mine also goes away on a reboot. it's happening often enough though that it's not practical to keep rebooting as often as i'd need to.

another weird bit is that i can reproduce it (on both sources) simply by dragging the equalizer levels around while one is playing. if i switch to a streaming source (tune in / spotify / etc), changing the EQ levels sounds normal. very strange.

having the new antenna did give me the ability to experiment a bit. i found an external location i'm going to let ride for a bit to see if the signal is better...

20220907_153653.jpg

this was really the only spot i could find where i could get the wire back inside without too much trouble, and it's not too conspicuous. i honestly don't know if this will be better than on the rear deck.

i tried the trunk lid but couldn't find a way to get it underneath the interior trunk trim (and then would have to go over to the grommet to get it inside anyway, which is a pain)...and the ideal location on the roof just isn't possible because it's impossible to get the wire under the weatherstripping (at least for me it is).

depending how this works, i might go get some of these and see if i can put the antenna up on the roof and hide it with these seals:

Last edited:
Reactions: ph0ton
having the new antenna did give me the ability to experiment a bit. i found an external location i'm going to let ride for a bit to see if the signal is better...

View attachment 850049

this was really the only spot i could find where i could get the wire back inside without too much trouble, and it's not too conspicuous. i honestly don't know if this will be better than on the rear deck.

i tried the trunk lid but couldn't find a way to get it underneath the interior trunk trim (and then would have to go over to the grommet to get it inside anyway, which is a pain)...and the ideal location on the roof just isn't possible because it's impossible to get the wire under the weatherstripping (at least for me it is).

depending how this works, i might go get some of these and see if i can put the antenna up on the roof and hide it with these seals:

Yeah, I was thinking of using something like this to wedge the wire down or use cable ties.

I actually get that clipping effect too when simply turning up and down the volume quickly so maybe the MCU just has bad latency on the audio transcoder. When I try to render audio with my computer and it's unable to keep up with the bitrate, it creates clipping as the buffer depletes and there is no audio to output. It would make sense resetting would resolve that as the MCU cache is cleared and there are fewer stale processes slowing it down. The bitrate is so bad on satellite I don't really care about the clipping but sometimes it can get annoying.

Reactions: crackers8199
Yeah, I was thinking of using something like this to wedge the wire down or use cable ties.

I actually get that clipping effect too when simply turning up and down the volume quickly so maybe the MCU just has bad latency on the audio transcoder. When I try to render audio with my computer and it's unable to keep up with the bitrate, it creates clipping as the buffer depletes and there is no audio to output. It would make sense resetting would resolve that as the MCU cache is cleared and there are fewer stale processes slowing it down. The bitrate is so bad on satellite I don't really care about the clipping but sometimes it can get annoying.

i'll keep you and everyone else posted as to how much of a difference i notice with the antenna outside in the corner (where i have it now) vs inside. if it's good enough, i'll probably just leave it there...if not, maybe i'll try with the roof and the extra seals.

as for the clipping, the part where it's more noticeable at lower speeds was the part that confused me and almost made me think it was some kind of motor interference, but i really have no idea.

Reactions: ArtK
View attachment 849606
I’ve joined the club 2018 model 3 performance. Got the plaid tuner from service center. Tired to order it when I ordered my wife’s parcel shelf and trim pieces for her model Y. At first they said invalid part number then when I said what it was they said it didn’t come up cause it wasn’t for her vehicle. I went the otc no vin required route and they said they could do it but was a separate process. They said no support or warranty for it since not meant to be in car yada yada. I said fine. Never heard anything else about it then when I went to get the parcel shelf parts I asked and they said it came it they had to associate it to another car since I don’t have S or X. Took my credit card payment and off I went. Got a eBay model 3 tuner for housing swap. Install was smooth just waiting for my jumper wires to connect the fm amp to window antenna.

Lots of good stuff in this post, and I have a couple questions if you know the answers.

You've got a 2018 Model 3 P, which I would assume would have hardware/MCU2 (Intel Atom based). However, the Model S Plaid tuner I assumed was for the current 2021+ vehicles which shipped with hardware/MCU3 (AMD Ryzen). Can you confirm if you have MCU2 (Atom) or MCU3(Ryzen)?

You mentioned the service center sold you the part, which is great! When I tried to get my Service Center to sell me one they straight up refused, even as a warranty-less OTC sale. Was there any secret codeword you had to use? A special handshake maybe? What was your magic?!

However, the Model S Plaid tuner I assumed was for the current 2021+ vehicles which shipped with hardware/MCU3 (AMD Ryzen). Can you confirm if you have MCU2 (Atom) or MCU3(Ryzen)?

without speaking for this poster, there was someone a few pages back who used the plaid tuner on an Intel MCU model Y, and it worked. it did not work on his AMD model 3.

antenna outside on the corner (basically opposite the charge port) doesn't seem to make much of a difference vs on the rear deck, at least not in the first 24 hours I've had it that way. there is a freeway underpass I drive under every day, and even with the antenna outside I still don't get 7 seconds of buffer.

I will probably at least experiment with it on the roof while I've got both antennas available to see what happens, but if it's not a major difference I'll probably just leave it in the corner.

also, another interesting bug I've seen twice on 24.5 that I didn't see before: when pulling out of my garage, the sound didn't immediately come on. I had to toggle mute on and off to get the sound to come on. not a huge deal, but a bug nonetheless.

Last edited: