Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory pick-up for our of state

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Call the 1-800 number and tell them you want to take delivery in another state. A friend of mine did just this. They still charged him the sales tax of his home state though. There are some states that charge you their local state tax even if you are out of state buyer. Massacheusetts comes to mind. Just be sure your registration address is correct, and you should be able to take delivery in another state.

If you take delivery and intend to drive onto a public roadway in CA Tesla must charge you the full sales tax and license fee for CA. Whether your home state will give you credit for any of that money towards their sales tax and license depends on your home state's policies.

The better option is to have Tesla deliver the car to you on a CA one way trip permit to the Nevada border. The permit is good for a one way trip to your home state. So have your car sent to Reno and take a mini vacation there. BUT DO NOT drive the car yourself within CA.

I think that the biggest issue is "What if?"
  • the car is late on delivery
  • the car needs to be fixed at the last minute
  • something else happens
It may end up you having to get a last minute ticket at a later date and then taking time to drive it back home.

I think that the biggest issue is "What if?"
  • the car is late on delivery
  • the car needs to be fixed at the last minute
  • something else happens
It may end up you having to get a last minute ticket at a later date and then taking time to drive it back home.
They said when I called that it wouldnt make much of a difference and if I choose to do so I would tell my delivery advisor for that information change. He also said you should be moving along any day now since you ordered on the 27th...which is weird because I added my performance brakes on July 13th so it seems they are going off reservation date followed by $2500 config date, not reconfig dates. Which makes me feel better about it all.