Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory re-paint matching original?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of Model S and there are paint pooling in the quarter panel wheel well.

Tesla service center said they would have to ship the car back to factory to correct the paint and it is 3 week turn around time.

My concern is will they have issue with paint color matching issue with new rear quarter panel coloring? I saw some Youtube videos showing Tesla deliverying new cars with color slightly shade on even new cars, which hinted re-painting.

With Tesla, it is good to get a car with wide but fairly even gaps and some minor paint defects -- but at least paint covering the parts needing paint. My $2500 red paint had some orange peel, some tiny chips of debris that were painted over or included in the paint on the hood, and some other minor defects. I don't know why the robots can't prepare and paint the car perfectly all the time, but Tesla has difficulty programming them as much as they do the car itself, I guess. Likewise installing body panels evenly and with today's tight tolerances. It just isn't that way. If your defect is obvious and bothers you, get it fixed. Otherwise, consider it a unique character mark that distinguishes your car from others. I have kept my car "original".

I took delivery of Model S and there are paint pooling in the quarter panel wheel well.

Tesla service center said they would have to ship the car back to factory to correct the paint and it is 3 week turn around time.

My concern is will they have issue with paint color matching issue with new rear quarter panel coloring? I saw some Youtube videos showing Tesla deliverying new cars with color slightly shade on even new cars, which hinted re-painting.
damn, 3 weeks is long! I might have to pass if they tell me that is what going to happen to my car.