Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Reset Problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just purchased a 2018 Model X 75D from a neighbor. Just love the car, but he did a factory reset when he sold it to me, and while it seemed good to quickly remove his presets, did it eliminate all the 'neural network' stuff that he'd trained over the last two years? Here's some of what I'm experiencing.

1. REALLY wonky autopilot and self-driving. The car pulls into other lanes and hard brakes for no reason. It's almost unusable. My wife has a Model 3 she bought new, and she recalls that she was advised to not use the autopilot for a number of weeks while the systems calibrated. Could this be the same thing?

2. Auto suspension elevation based on GPS is missing. This worked (I observed it during the test-drive) but now the option to automatically raise based on GPS is grayed-out. This system completely missing from my manual (the word 'suspension' is completely missing).

3. Some really strange decisions by the gull-wing doors as to when things are in the way. plenty of clearance in the garage but I often get three beeps and a refusal to open, even after a manual override.

There's quite a few things like this acting up. Hoping it's because of the reset... would love to hear other stories...

Hi Peteheckman13,

What was the manufacture date of the car? It is located on the drive door jamb.

Do you know the software level???
It is shown on the main screen by pressing the "T" at the top of the screen.

No neural net data is lost on a reset of the car...
It is unfortunate that he did that...
There are only a few settings that are protected and need to be removed...

Shawn

Thanks Shawn! I should have known to post that info... here it is:
Manufacture date: 3/2018 (I realize that 4/2018 was a magic date so maybe the whole car is just broken :)
Current S/W: 2019.40.50.7 (although just got my first request for an update today).

I've had the car since last Thursday. Any ideas would be helpful!
-pete

Hi Peteheckman13,

Welcome!!!

Mine also was built March 2018 and I was fortunate enough to get the first week of MCU2.

After the update is complete, please spend some time in the car and work your way through
ALL of the screens a few times.
There are little information balloons on some of the settings - They are the lowercase i.
Check these out and they will give you more information about many things...

Please try to read the manual - There is too much information in it but after a few reads
and working your way through the screens you will have a better feel for the car.

Try your Falcon Wing Door tests out in the open to protect them from hitting things
while you are learning to ENJOY your marvelous car...
Be careful of your own body with the driver door open when opening the Falcon
Wing doors - It is possible to get hit or bumped or pinched while you are between the different doors.

Good luck,

Shawn

There are other threads to address your doors. They can be a bit wonky.

Car does not accumulate neural net over years. If it did collect any it was uploaded to the borg. It might need a 50 mile drive to calibrate camera at most. It also takes sone time to download maps. Which does not take long but might be over WiFi.

AutoPilot is wonky at times.

Didn’t even know there was an option on height based on GPS. Mine is Raven. Just low height based on highway (speed I assume).