Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Reset Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector?

rrolsbe

Feb 18, 2017
Albuquerque
I received my replacement Gen 3 Wall Connector and unfortunately it appears to have the same problem. I can connect via the configuration SSID and get it on my home WiFi network. I can also select the proper circuit and display the summary which shows the IP address on my home network; likewise, I can enter that IP address in the browser address and communicate with the Web Server running on the Wall Connector. Unfortunately, after a few minutes i can no longer Ping or communicate with the Wall Connector via the DHCP assigned IP address; likewise, the configuration SSID is always broadcasting and I can no longer connect to that using the passcode shown on the sticker located on the front page of the i installation pamplet. The unit is configured for correct circuit amperage and charges the traction battery just fine but I can no longer communicate with it via WiFi. Does anyone know of a way to reset the unit back to factory out of the box configuration?

Timbo2

Jun 8, 2019
USA
From the manual:

NOTE: The Wi-Fi network will only broadcast for 5 minutes. To have the Wall Connector broadcast
the SSID again, hold the button on the charging handle for 5 seconds or turn the circuit breaker off,
then on again.​

Page 22
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

I reads like it fully resets after you remove power to it, but perhaps somebody that actually owns one can confirm.

Iain

Feb 5, 2020
Austin
Yes, that 5 minutes is very real. I ran into this problem thinking I had a defective unit. Mine wouldn’t connect via the phone but as soon as I tried a manual connect it worked right away. (After I had reset the unit)

Iain

Feb 5, 2020
Austin
Another thing that’s important is to make sure you are connecting to a router that is 2.4 GHz and not 5 GHz....it won’t connect if you are trying an5 GHz network

Reactions: Gasaraki

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Another thing that’s important is to make sure you are connecting to a router that is 2.4 GHz and not 5 GHz....it won’t connect if you are trying an5 GHz network

I dont have one of these, but that means that most people who have a mesh network (the "new hotness in home wifi" have a situation where the SSID is broadcast with the same name on 2.4 and 5ghz channels. That can cause issues with many IoT (internet of things) type devices, of which the wifi on this charger likely falls into that category.

There are ways around it, but anyone with mesh networking should really look into what having the same SSID broadcast for both 2.4 and 5 ghz means for their specific situation, especially if they have a lot of internet connected devices (or plan to).

I specifically bought a mesh networking system that allows one to separate (easily) those networks, just for that reason. Some dont allow separation, and some only let you separate the network with console commands.

• Informative
Reactions: Iain and Rocky_H

DC01

May 26, 2021
NH
Actually I had a similar problem and its appears to be a bug in the firmware, it may connect to a wifi network but fail after authenticating and getting an ip address. It has something to do with the wifi setup, and causes the wall connector to get into a constant reconnection loop. This breaks the local wifi connection as well. To get around this you can turn off your home wifi network (or just block the mac address of the wall connector). This will prevent it from getting into the reconnection loop. Then you should be able to reboot it (via circuit breaker) and easily connect to the local wall connector wifi and access its setup pagesand change its network to another. I was able to connect to my cell phone hotspot and download the latest firmware. I still have the reconnection issue on my home wifi but for now its not constantly cycling and I just connect it up every couple months to try to get a new firmware update with the fix.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC