Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Reset Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my replacement Gen 3 Wall Connector and unfortunately it appears to have the same problem. I can connect via the configuration SSID and get it on my home WiFi network. I can also select the proper circuit and display the summary which shows the IP address on my home network; likewise, I can enter that IP address in the browser address and communicate with the Web Server running on the Wall Connector. Unfortunately, after a few minutes i can no longer Ping or communicate with the Wall Connector via the DHCP assigned IP address; likewise, the configuration SSID is always broadcasting and I can no longer connect to that using the passcode shown on the sticker located on the front page of the i installation pamplet. The unit is configured for correct circuit amperage and charges the traction battery just fine but I can no longer communicate with it via WiFi. Does anyone know of a way to reset the unit back to factory out of the box configuration?

From the manual:

NOTE: The Wi-Fi network will only broadcast for 5 minutes. To have the Wall Connector broadcast
the SSID again, hold the button on the charging handle for 5 seconds or turn the circuit breaker off,
then on again.​

Page 22
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

I reads like it fully resets after you remove power to it, but perhaps somebody that actually owns one can confirm.

Yes, that 5 minutes is very real. I ran into this problem thinking I had a defective unit. Mine wouldn’t connect via the phone but as soon as I tried a manual connect it worked right away. (After I had reset the unit)

Another thing that’s important is to make sure you are connecting to a router that is 2.4 GHz and not 5 GHz....it won’t connect if you are trying an5 GHz network

I dont have one of these, but that means that most people who have a mesh network (the "new hotness in home wifi" have a situation where the SSID is broadcast with the same name on 2.4 and 5ghz channels. That can cause issues with many IoT (internet of things) type devices, of which the wifi on this charger likely falls into that category.

There are ways around it, but anyone with mesh networking should really look into what having the same SSID broadcast for both 2.4 and 5 ghz means for their specific situation, especially if they have a lot of internet connected devices (or plan to).

I specifically bought a mesh networking system that allows one to separate (easily) those networks, just for that reason. Some dont allow separation, and some only let you separate the network with console commands.

• Informative
Reactions: Iain and Rocky_H
Actually I had a similar problem and its appears to be a bug in the firmware, it may connect to a wifi network but fail after authenticating and getting an ip address. It has something to do with the wifi setup, and causes the wall connector to get into a constant reconnection loop. This breaks the local wifi connection as well. To get around this you can turn off your home wifi network (or just block the mac address of the wall connector). This will prevent it from getting into the reconnection loop. Then you should be able to reboot it (via circuit breaker) and easily connect to the local wall connector wifi and access its setup pagesand change its network to another. I was able to connect to my cell phone hotspot and download the latest firmware. I still have the reconnection issue on my home wifi but for now its not constantly cycling and I just connect it up every couple months to try to get a new firmware update with the fix.

I ended up using a dedicated 2.4ghz connection to make it work. I could not get it to work with my Orbi mesh.
How exactly did you do that? I too have an Orbi mesh router that makes connecting to my HPWC a real PITA. With the newly released v.4.10.0 of the mobile app, it looks like you will eventually be able to add a Wall Connector to your account much like PowerWalls can be added. I want to be able to do that, but I’ll probably have plenty of aggravation if my Wi-Fi is the connectivity bottleneck (or dead end).

Reactions: Porkalletta
How exactly did you do that? I too have an Orbi mesh router that makes connecting to my HPWC a real PITA. With the newly released v.4.10.0 of the mobile app, it looks like you will eventually be able to add a Wall Connector to your account much like PowerWalls can be added. I want to be able to do that, but I’ll probably have plenty of aggravation if my Wi-Fi is the connectivity bottleneck (or dead end).

I used the dedicated IoT 2.4 ghz network included in my Orbi Wi-Fi 6e router.

Reactions: ScottNY
Sorry for the late add... I found this searching the web bc I couldn't connect to my GEN 3 wall charger using 192.168.92.1 when connected to the Wall Chargers WIFI. After too many attempts to count and nothing on the web was able to assist me so I tired the laptop. The laptop connected to the wall charger WIFI quickly but not to the 192.168.92.1 address using Chrome. Finally, after switching to FIREFOX it connected on the first try. Maybe that will help others. My network is a Linksys Mesh network broadcasting both 2.4 and 5 under the same name/pw. Playing all the games with Airplane mode etc didn't work, that is why I tried the macbook. Now if they will just get me my Tesla so I can test it! (Note - the wall charger had self configured at 60A so it ended up being a waste of time getting to it on the browser just to select USA as the country unless I wanted to setup sharing or limit to Teslas or my family Teslas only for an outside charger)

Sorry for the late add... I found this searching the web bc I couldn't connect to my GEN 3 wall charger using 192.168.92.1 when connected to the Wall Chargers WIFI. After too many attempts to count and nothing on the web was able to assist me so I tired the laptop. The laptop connected to the wall charger WIFI quickly but not to the 192.168.92.1 address using Chrome. Finally, after switching to FIREFOX it connected on the first try. Maybe that will help others. My network is a Linksys Mesh network broadcasting both 2.4 and 5 under the same name/pw. Playing all the games with Airplane mode etc didn't work, that is why I tried the macbook. Now if they will just get me my Tesla so I can test it! (Note - the wall charger had self configured at 60A so it ended up being a waste of time getting to it on the browser just to select USA as the country unless I wanted to setup sharing or limit to Teslas or my family Teslas only for an outside charger)
I was really trying to see if I could get the Wall Connector to show up in my mobile app’s Add Device section. At this point, I don’t think it’s my router (since I was able to successfully connect my gen 3 to an iOS Wall Connector app). I think that adding the WC to the mobile app just isn’t an option for the US at this time since I haven’t seen any posts from the US regarding successful addition of WC as a new device.

If it isn't supported in the US yet, that certainly explains why the option to add the wall charger to the Tesla app. Poor documentation on the quickstart guide too. I was able to add, configure my wifi and also connect using a 3rd party app, but not Tesla's app.

Yesterday I was able to connect to the wall charger with the network info and noticed a firmware update was available. Since then I haven't been able to reconnect even with restarts and attempting to connect within the five minute timeframe. Today I re-stared the wall charger and couldn't connect via the network info, but I was able to connect using the IP address. The firmware updated at some point since yesterday.