Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory subwoofer and amp retrofit - is it prewired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David.85D

Oct 29, 2016
USA
searched but couldn't find any info on this. Have the standard audio and had a chance to buy a used factory amplifier and subwoofer from the UHFS.

Is it plug-n-play? Are the wires in place? Anyone else upgraded and have advice?

I have seen the threads on audiophile upgrades, but this would be way cheaper (about $500 total) and good enough for me.

I'm not positive but I thought that the 17" touch screen system was different between the standard and UHFS systems as well. (But maybe it is just the amplifier attached to the back?)

Even if the wiring was there and you could install it, good luck getting Tesla to change the software configuration to use it.

Very early cars (2012-2013) had the wiring, but later Q2-2013? they started making two wire harnesses, and the wires and cable between the MCU and the UHFS amp was removed. You can remove the lower driver side trim and take a look - one screw and a bunch of snaps that are really hard to release. If you see a loose black connector with a bright pink latch (it's about 2.5" x 3/4"), you have the wiring. Not sure if the MCU is different or not, they seem like they are the same. Activating the software for UHFS will be very difficult.

• Informative
Reactions: David.85D
Thanks! I will check my wiring, but imagine mine is later than that. I did hear privately that the MCU's are the same, but it would have to be activated in software, which would take some corporate magic or help from someone skilled at Tesla voodoo.