Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory sure is full of blue Tesla Model S cars!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery yesterday at the factory in Fremont (blue 85 w/pano). Got to take a tour, and the factory was doing some work even though it was the weekend. Very impressive to see the aluminum blanks get made into parts with those big Schuler presses. Moves pretty fast, and the factory floor rumbles when each press is completed. The guys running it were very proud of the machines and the work they were doing. Once we got to the post-painting section, got to see quite a few blue cars in various stages of production, all the way through the final road surface test. Very cool to see it all in motion, even if you have already seen the factory at the Get Amped event. Highly recommended if you are in range of the factory or can get there for your delivery.

Right, no pictures on the tour. They didn't restrict photos when I took the tour the first time, but there were no cars running through then. The tour lasted about an hour for us because we actually waited a bit for the presses to start a run.

Just took delivery yesterday at the factory in Fremont (blue 85 w/pano). Got to take a tour, and the factory was doing some work even though it was the weekend. Very impressive to see the aluminum blanks get made into parts with those big Schuler presses. Moves pretty fast, and the factory floor rumbles when each press is completed. The guys running it were very proud of the machines and the work they were doing. Once we got to the post-painting section, got to see quite a few blue cars in various stages of production, all the way through the final road surface test. Very cool to see it all in motion, even if you have already seen the factory at the Get Amped event. Highly recommended if you are in range of the factory or can get there for your delivery.

Our tour guide said that they do in fact do color batching. When I did the tour last month there wasn't a single blue car on the line, they were all white and silver (with the odd brown one thrown in). We were between shifts on the body assembly line, which was quite disappointing. I really wanted to see the robots in action (since the later assembly stages are more hand done).

Yeah, but according to this poll (and I think other polls too) the blue is in fact a quite popular colour. That's a surprise for me. Why blue? Any blue cars in the movies lately?

My favorite was Sig Red, but since I wasn't getting a Sig, I had decided on the Grey... that is until I saw the Blue in person. I love the Blue and that is what I finalized on. It looks nothing like the photos on the Tesla site, and even most of the users' pictures don't do it justice IMHO. I had actually thought it wouldn't be popular, and that I'd have something unique, but alas, that appears not to be the case!

My favorite was Sig Red, but since I wasn't getting a Sig, I had decided on the Grey... that is until I saw the Blue in person. I love the Blue and that is what I finalized on. It looks nothing like the photos on the Tesla site, and even most of the users' pictures don't do it justice IMHO. I had actually thought it wouldn't be popular, and that I'd have something unique, but alas, that appears not to be the case!

Brown is the least popular followed by green, I believe.

The pictures of the silver MS first got me excited. Then It was the all black with the grey 21" wheels. Then, when it was time to configure my car, I chose grey with grey 21" wheels. When time came to finalize my order I changed to blue because I have a Porsche 991 (911) that is agate grey and did not want another grey car. Ultimately the blue won out because it looks black in most lighting conditions but still can change hues depending on time of day/weather conditions.

No matter which color you go with, you really cannot go wrong.

Yeah, but according to this poll (and I think other polls too) the blue is in fact a quite popular colour. That's a surprise for me. Why blue? Any blue cars in the movies lately?
For me it was between red and blue. If the sig color was blue, I would probably have gone blue.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember reading some research findings a few years ago indicating that blue was a calming and pleasing color to people. That could be part of it.
It's why it was used in Wordstar, WordPerfect, Word, Excel, and... well... probably bluescreens.

Good thing. I was going for black until you convinced me on blue. I got bluetiful blue, grey leather, pano, 85 kw, and love the combo. Thanks.