Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Suspension Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - I just configured my TM3, but I have a question regarding the factory suspension changes.

From reading the forums, it appears that Tesla had a Rev B suspension on some of the first cars coming off of the line that was firmer/sportier, but they are now on Rev E which is reported to be softer/more comfortable.

I'd really like my TM3 to have a firm/sporty suspension - I'm used to driving a BMW M3 and Porsche 911, so a sporty ride and handling is important to me.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the new suspension performs?

I was considering waiting for a P version of the TM3, but I really don't like air suspensions (I prefer coil suspensions even if they ride harder), and I thought that the P version may come with an air suspension instead of a Plus suspension like the older P85+ cars.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: dgaultiere
Just a reminder that with modern suspensions, a hard ride does not equate to high performance. If you watch a lot of the pros driving street cars with adjustable suspensions on the track, they often keep the settings in standard or even comfort and get equal lap times to the "track" or sport setting.Chris Harris in a Mk7 GTI is a good example of this.

@djwi coming from the Bimmer M3 and a 911you would probably prefer handling and ride of the "1.0" suspension. I have driven both and there is a noticeable trade off of handling v. ride comfort. The 1.0 setup feels very much like an M series. Visit your local service/delivery center and ask them about the retrofit kit. I know that service centers will outfit the older cars with the "2.0" springs and dampers and I think you can order the initial release B-Revision springs and dampers for your car when it arrives.

I spoke with my local Tesla Service Center, and they’re weren’t aware of the Pre 12/27 1.0 (Sport) suspension. Are we able to even purchase this suspension to retrofit, or has it been discontinued since the introduction of the new (Comfort) suspension? Any idea what the cost of the parts would be? Do you think there will be an option for the Sport suspension (non-air suspension) on a future performance version?

I’d like to pull the trigger on my TM3, but this suspension change is holding me back.

Thanks for all of your help.

OP, if you’re really interested in performance suspension you can do much better than the original “1.0” factory springs. Check out the coilovers and camber/toe arms discussed in this thread:
Lowering Springs and Suspension Issues

Regarding the 2.0 setup, I just took delivery last week so I’m sure this is what I have. I haven’t had a chance to take it on any mountain roads yet, but so far I would say it’s a pretty good factory setup. A bit firmer and sportier than my E90 BMW but also more comfortable at the same time.

I think my biggest complaint so far is actually the ride height. I wish the gap between the tire and fender was tighter. I was considering the Unplugged Performance moderate springs until I read the above thread about camber issues. I’m hoping someone comes out with a sub $1k suspension kit that provides modest street handling improvements and a lower ride height without breaking the bank.

Reactions: atlas310
Yes but they also are supposedly softer than the stock springs. What I really want is firmer or equal to stock with about 1" of drop. I'm also not sold on the progressive rate springs.

Would love to hear reviews of the UP springs from anyone who has tried them! Is Ben Sullins on this forum...?

I am looking into lowering springs too. UP offers Dual Rate and apparently it's for a motorsport type of set up. It's even marketed that way with mentions of F1 and Indy.

T Sportline does a different set up for road use and is probably more applicable to a lot of buyers. It's a linear front and progressive rear.

Long story short from the video: linear front and progressive rear is for daily road (day to day) use.

Yes but they also are supposedly softer than the stock springs. What I really want is firmer or equal to stock with about 1" of drop. I'm also not sold on the progressive rate springs.

Would love to hear reviews of the UP springs from anyone who has tried them! Is Ben Sullins on this forum...?
I have UP springs (moderate) and wrote a quick review in the other threads. Are you looking for reviews on the MILD version? I wouldn’t worry about the camber issues. The tuner shop that did mine (as well as alignment) looked at the numbers and thought it would be just fine and within specs. Moderate is still plenty firm, but removes the jarring feeling that you get with stock.

I have UP springs (moderate) and wrote a quick review in the other threads. Are you looking for reviews on the MILD version? I wouldn’t worry about the camber issues. The tuner shop that did mine (as well as alignment) looked at the numbers and thought it would be just fine and within specs. Moderate is still plenty firm, but removes the jarring feeling that you get with stock.
Thanks. I’m honestly torn because I like the increased handling of the moderate springs but the pictures I’m seeing look too low to my eyes. I prefer the from-the-factory sports car look like you would see on a new BMW 340i and the like. I don’t want a lowered look.

Do you have any pictures of your setup you can share?

Hello - I just configured my TM3, but I have a question regarding the factory suspension changes.
I'd really like my TM3 to have a firm/sporty suspension - I'm used to driving a BMW M3 and Porsche 911, so a sporty ride and handling is important to me
I prefer coil suspensions even if they ride harder and I thought that the P version may come with an air suspension instead of a Plus suspension like the older P85+ cars.

Since you're a sportcars driver, coilovers should definitely your first change.
There are 2 viable choices: Unplugged Performance or Mountain Pass Performance

I researched both and chose MPP coilovers.
Coilovers are superior to just lowering springs
I also chose the MPP control arms and toe arms

TM3 enthusiasts,

Sasha from MPP just posted photos
on the anodized suspension arms!

I feel weak in the legs!

upload_2018-5-9_10-9-17.jpeg

Will post additional pics

I'm waiting for the AWD version just announced, would prefer air suspension. Is that substantially better on the other models? Should I wait until 2019 when Elon says that option will appear? (I'm an old fart so would never consider a P variant. Would prefer an MX but that's a bit rich for us.)