Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory tint a must?!

Factory Tint or Aftermarket?!

• Factory Tint

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • Aftermarket

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if factory tinting will be an option, but if it is I will get it. Mostly because of stupid CA laws that only allow the manufacturer tint on the driver and passenger side windows making the cars look less than ideal when you get the rest of the windows tinted.

But, do you really think this will be an option? State laws vary so much regarding tinting around the country, it might be hard to do. I don't think there is a tint option for the S from the factory. I've actually never bought a car that had a "factory" tint option. Plenty that had it added on as a dealer option, but that's a whole different game.

I don't know if factory tinting will be an option, but if it is I will get it. Mostly because of stupid CA laws that only allow the manufacturer tint on the driver and passenger side windows making the cars look less than ideal when you get the rest of the windows tinted.
Factory tint is not a way around the law, and no car maker will sell a car anywhere in the US with tint that is illegal in CA... and almost every car sold in the country comes with the maximum tint already on the front windows which is... I can't recall... either 90 or 95%. So basically clear.

I've actually never bought a car that had a "factory" tint option. Plenty that had it added on as a dealer option, but that's a whole different game.
Besides SUVs and minivans, I'm not sure I've seen true factory tint... and never an option. It either is or it isn't. And I have never heard of it on the front windows (beyond CA legal). Only the rears.

Last edited:
image.png
image.png
image.png
These images seem to have a tint to them, I figured it must be a factory option.
image.png

Just like 22" wheels and gull-wing doors, heavy tint (and blacked-out license plates) are a must on show cars. All cars look sleeker, cleaner and less cluttered with dark tint. Don't get too excited about that level of details on these "pre cars."

Quality aftermarket tint cannot be distinguished from factory tint. Quality materials and methods are mandatory, of course. Never fades, bubbles or has lines. I've had huge, curved rear glass done in a single piece. And you need a magnifying glass to find the edges.

You can get whatever tint look you want. Just find the right guy to do it (hint: Find the guy who does it for the local dealerships, and deal with him directly for a 50% savings).

You can get whatever tint look you want. Just find the right guy to do it (hint: Find the guy who does it for the local dealerships, and deal with him directly for a 50% savings

This is awesome advice, and what I always do for tints. Call a few local dealers and ask who does their tints (its always a local shop). That place will always be a top notch tint shop, since dealers don't want customers coming back to them later with bubbled and crappy tint jobs.

Besides the money savings of dealing with the tinter directly, you also get to tell the guy exactly what you want. No middle man to screw it up (I always go one shade lighter on the rear window than the sides, and the dealership guys get all confused about that and try to convince people that it will look bad. It looks great and is an AWESOME compromise between nighttime visibility out the back and privacy and heat rejection of the whole car)

I do not expect the Model E to have an optional
Will you be ordering factory tint with your new Tesla Model 3?

I seen in promo pics of the Model 3 that some of the windows were tinted.

Is this an option that you will be getting, or will you be going aftermarket?
I do not expect that there will be a window tint option for the Model 3 (there isn't for the S or X). There will be a standard tint at the top of the windshield, the roof glass (If ordered), and rear window.

If you want additional tint, go aftermarket.

Don't take the CGI.images of the Model 3 too seriously. They are not real images.

The factory should be able to order tint built into the glass of the top, back and side windows except the front doors and windshield (PS: the factory can build in tint on the top of the front windshield and be legal in all states). The tint built into the glass would be preferable since it is not a film placed on the inside of the glass that can be scratched. I would prefer that the glass come tinted where possible where I can tint the other windows in the front that abides by the law for my state.