Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Tint on Windows

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the first car that I haven't tinted the windows yet because of New York State's ridiculous new tint law where inspection shops are supposed to fail you if you don't allow at least 70% light in. I've noticed the Tesla's windows seem to be pretty dark for factory. I am curious if anyone knows what % they are tinted at? I am not sure if they are darker than other car's windows since I am so used to aftermarket tinted windows.

I've decided not to tint windows due to NYS's ridiculous laws. I know many people who are having trouble passing inspection and I suspect it will get harder and worse over time. I just don't want to deal with the hassle every year. Here is the law:

• The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light.
    • Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window.
  • This law also applies to the rear window unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides.
    • The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.
  • Rear side windows must also allow at least seventy percent of light from the outside to pass through the window if the vehicle is classified as a
    • station wagon
    • sedan
    • hardtop
    • coupe
    • hatchback
    • convertible