TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Factory Tint on Windows

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mbhforum, Feb 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

This is the first car that I haven't tinted the windows yet because of New York State's ridiculous new tint law where inspection shops are supposed to fail you if you don't allow at least 70% light in. I've noticed the Tesla's windows seem to be pretty dark for factory. I am curious if anyone knows what % they are tinted at? I am not sure if they are darker than other car's windows since I am so used to aftermarket tinted windows.

2. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

70% limit for front windows or all windows? Some cars or vans do not even have rear windows at all and they are ok.

3. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

I've decided not to tint windows due to NYS's ridiculous laws. I know many people who are having trouble passing inspection and I suspect it will get harder and worse over time. I just don't want to deal with the hassle every year. Here is the law:

• The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light.
      • Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window.
    • This law also applies to the rear window unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides.
      • The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.
    • Rear side windows must also allow at least seventy percent of light from the outside to pass through the window if the vehicle is classified as a
      • station wagon
      • sedan
      • hardtop
      • coupe
      • hatchback
      • convertible

4. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

There is a difference in blocking light and UV blocling. Look at under cover police cars, they are black, blocking light, if u get UV blocking u should be able to see drivers, also get lower front than back, and take it in with windows down,