TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

factory tire warranty question

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by crackers8199, Aug 29, 2018.

1. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

i have had my 3 about a month now, and the front drivers side tire seems to have a slow leak...last week the light came on, and it was at 38psi (i had them all at 44psi). i inflated them all back to 44psi cold, and everything was fine for about a week (did a 1500 mile leg of a road trip on them without issue)...this morning, the front left is back to 38psi. i've checked the tire multiple times and don't see any obvious punctures / nails / screws / etc.

what should i do to get this checked out? i obviously need to do the return leg of the road trip (starting tomorrow afternoon) and i'm in work meetings until then, so i'm not sure how to proceed...

2. Runebane

Runebane Member

Is there a Tesla service center near where you are currently staying? If not, with a 1500 mile road trip home, there should be one on the way I would think. I'd call one and see if they could look at the tire in question.

If you're really worried about it, I'd just take it to any tire store, a slow leak should be an easy fix and most don't even charge to fix them anymore. But if they do it shouldn't cost much. Tesla may even reimburse you the expense if you're far away from a service center.

3. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

#3 swaltner, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    I had a screw in my tire at about 1,000 miles. E-mailed Tesla, they said I’d need to buy a new tire. In the past, local tire shops call anything outside on the center 2” of the tread part of the sidewall and refused to patch them.

I jacked up the car using a set of ReverseLogic jack pads, and plugged the tire myself with something like https://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-T-Handle-Tire-Plug/dp/B000ET525K. So far, 5,000 miles on the patch and no leak. Did a similar patch on the Leaf and put another 45k miles on the tire.

Edit: to find the leak, you may need to remove the tire and use the soapy water trick and search for bubbles. That’s how I found my leak.

4. diabox

diabox Member

I second plugging the tire if you can find the leak. Have plugged numerous tires over the years with no issues. Use soapy water to find the hole. Plugging is way easier since you don't have to take off the tire and the Tesla tires have foam stuck to the inside of the tire to reduce noise anyway, making a traditional patch harder to do. I don't even think the green goo would plug up a hole if it's in the foam area of the tire.

Plug kits are usually available at auto parts stores and walmart